The Official Reverse Vending Machine Thread

Threxx

I remember those damn things back from my Gristedes days. People used to bring in bottles all the time but we had to crush them since the machines was in the back.

Total pain in the ass to remove a stuck bottle from in there, kinda dangerous too...

If this thread doesn't stay at least in a mature manner, you WILL see a lock. I don't really see anything good coming out of this creation (yet).

Just sayin'

That's fine with me, I can see good things for this thread.

• 3 months later...

Where is pushcart (4P3607)? He would love this!

LMFAO I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SAY THAT!!!

now THATS what I call making some cash. Thats prob $20-$30 right there, and they still have a bit of room in that cart.

#DEAD!!! LMFAO!!!

So you're homeless then?

#BOOST!!! I am dying.

Now that this old ass thread has risen from the dead, I have some questions to ask.

1. Is the return amount still capped at $0.05?

2. Are reverse vending machines the norm, rather than an actual "full service" redemption center?

3. What amount of NY'ers actually redeem their recyclables?

4. Do you recycle?

Sorry if that's a long list. Just want to see how things compare to how California handles its CRV (California Refund Value) program, where:

1. Generally, you are paid by the pound, at around the average of $2.00 for aluminum, $1.00 for plastic #1, $0.10 for glass and other plastics.

2. Vending machines are usually only found in more urban areas.

Now that this old ass thread has risen from the dead, I have some questions to ask.

1. Is the return amount still capped at $0.05?

2. Are reverse vending machines the norm, rather than an actual "full service" redemption center?

3. What amount of NY'ers actually redeem their recyclables?

4. Do you recycle?

1) Yup.

2) Yup. You put the bottle/can into the machine, and then when you're done, you get a receipt, and you take it to the customer service department and get the money.

3) No idea. I doubt it's too high a percentage, considering that it can be a PITA sometimes (the machine is out, or there's a long line, or something)

4) I don't really use a lot of bottles/cans that have the deposit. When I do, I return them for the money, but I don't go looking through other people's recyclables for the cans. I'll save the cans for somebody who needs the money more than me.

1) Yup.

2) Yup. You put the bottle/can into the machine, and then when you're done, you get a receipt, and you take it to the customer service department and get the money.

3) No idea. I doubt it's too high a percentage, considering that it can be a PITA sometimes (the machine is out, or there's a long line, or something)

4) I don't really use a lot of bottles/cans that have the deposit. When I do, I return them for the money, but I don't go looking through other people's recyclables for the cans. I'll save the cans for somebody who needs the money more than me.

Thanks for replying.

• 3 months later...

Archived