The Official Reverse Vending Machine Thread

Threxx

Because this is a hot topic (yes it is) I thought that we should do a test run of this.

For those who may not know, a reverse vending machine is a machine that takes your bottles/cans and gives you money, not the other way around. These are at supermarkets so people can get back their $0.05 bottle/can deposit.

reVend_360_Reverse_Vending_System.jpg

@Q23: :lol:

Let it take it's course. If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be. I'm asking mods to be open to this thread and not lock it, as people do have hobby's with these things. The thread could be productive.

Guest Lance

I always thought those machines were called hobo magnets.

Lol that's terrible.

People fan anything, eh?

Where is pushcart (4P3607)? He would love this!

Be nice.

^^THATS MY SUPERMARKET! Wait... the plastic machine is out? FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. ^^

This thread is actually useful, since alot of people that purchase beverages use these machines. I know alot about these machines, though Im not gonna say every single thing about them since it would take up the whole page.

I will give a few basic facts about them, such as there are 2 different companies out there (Envipco & Tomra). Tomra is more popular, and the most common machine you will find is like what was posted above.

@Blitz: you were talking about this place?:

PM125.jpg

this place now has the new machines, called T-53's (pic below). the ones above are getting harder and harder to find, so if anybody sees one of these please post something about it.

T53s.jpg

here are some other RVMs from Tomra, more of the old machines (called Tx2's):

Tx2s2.pngTx2s1.png

if anybody finds one of these with these colour covers, tell me as soon as possible because this is very rare!:

oldTx2s.jpg

here is the only other company for Reverse Vending machines in the US, called Envipco (Environmental Products Corporation). here are a few pics of them:

the CF-1500:CFsgreen.jpg

this probably looks like your typical Stop and Shop bottle room with these machines. a few stop and shops have the old Tx2 machines like the 1st pic in this post.

here is another pic, these are the older covers:

CFsorange.jpg

you can find these machines most of the time at your local supermarket. what these machines were intended for is for people to recycle their bottles, but alot of the time these machines are used by homeless people to get some cash in their pocket.

Whenever you purchase a bottle or can of soda / water / beer, you get charged an extra 5 cents on it. to get it back, you must bring them to the machine and get your money back. most of the time the machine will print a reciept that you have to bring inside the store to customer service where you can get your money back.

there is a TON of more information to this, such as the bottle bill of rights: http://www.dec.ny.go...bbofrights2.pdf

and the Returnable Container Act (RCA):

http://www.dec.ny.go...mical/8500.html

but of course im not posting that.

There's a guy over by greenwich st / christopher st that daisy-chained three shopping carts; they're full of bottles & cans...... he walks around the neighborhood damn near (if not) everyday.... I think to myself, when are these people (b/c it's not just this guy I see pushing around more than 1 shopping cart tied together) gonna cash em all in......

But yeah, only bums/homeless ppl. frequent those machines - that's their equivalent of a check-cashing place !

There's a guy over by greenwich st / christopher st that daisy-chained three shopping carts; they're full of bottles & cans...... he walks around the neighborhood damn near (if not) everyday.... I think to myself, when are these people (b/c it's not just this guy I see pushing around more than 1 shopping cart tied together) gonna cash em all in......

But yeah, only bums/homeless ppl. frequent those machines - that's their equivalent of a check-cashing place !

Well I give them one thing, they are making the streets a little cleaner by picking up the stray bottles off the ground... not sure if it offsets the mess they make in digging deep in the trash looking for the empty bottles/cans though.

I just wonder how many stores have lost their shopping carts over the years to those bums stealing them and if the store takes that into account in terms of 'write offs' ...

Well I give them one thing, they are making the streets a little cleaner by picking up the stray bottles off the ground... not sure if it offsets the mess they make in digging deep in the trash looking for the empty bottles/cans though.

The ones that I see are usually picking them out of people's recycle cans, which actually causes the city to lose money, since the city is unable to recycle the bottles after being brought to the sorting centers (which I believe are in Jersey now). Stealing recyclables, especially metals and cardboard, is actually a huge problem for DSNY and private carting companies, since they get a lot of revenue from recycling what people leave for their trucks to pick up.

Archived