2012 NFL and NCAA Football Thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

Well, obviously he throws better, he was a QB... but however Tebow is a great runner, as we saw in the Jets/Giants game when he got the first, and it might be a good idea to try him there...

Anyway, Seattle finishes thier season off 4-0. Not bad.

- About tebow,....yeh, that's my point....

He's a QB that plays more like a RB (not a scrambler like the Vick's of the world, but an actual running back)..

- I don't put stock into who stinks or does well in preseason.... all it is, is warmups for the reg. season (glorified practice)....

VWM lets see. In 2008 the Lions went 4-0 in pre season. What happened to them during regular season? They went 0-16 the worst mark in NFL history.

LMAO !

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My week 1 NFL Picks are coming up soon. However, I want to discuss NCAA Week 1. #8 Michigan took a beatdown from #2 Alabama in the Cowboy's Classic. In the only other matchup between ranked teams, Michigan State beat Boise State 17-13. A huge ACC battle between Georgia Tech and #16 Virginia Tech takes place tonight. Any thoughts on the first week of NCAA Football?

Now my 2012 NFL Divisional/Wild Card Winner picks. Kiddies don't try this at home lol as my picks usually suck. :P Anyhow here goes in a league that has many crappy and medicore teams. For the locals. I think Giants win NFC east and lose in NFC title game to the Niners. While Jets finish 2nd in AFC East and just miss the last wild card spot.

NFC

East

Giants

North

Packers

South

Falcons

West

49ers

Wild Card: Cowboys, Eagles

Sleeper (Surprise Team)Seahawks

AFC

East

Pats

North

Steelers

South

Texans

West

Bronocos

Wild Card Winners: Ravens, Titans

Sleeper(Surprise)team Raiders

The pats are bound to run away with the East title...

Now my 2012 NFL Divisional/Wild Card Winner picks. Kiddies don't try this at home lol as my picks usually suck. :P Anyhow here goes in a league that has many crappy and medicore teams. For the locals. I think Giants win NFC east and lose in NFC title game to the Niners. While Jets finish 2nd in AFC East and just miss the last wild card spot.

Yeah, the pats are going to run away with that title... And the Jets (unfortunately) are not at their best. Well, I guess the season will bring us shocks and turns we didn't see coming. Let's hope for the best in any team you root for.

Speaking of the patriots....

EIGHT tight ends though.... really?

Instead of paying for a decent WR core (he knows WR's typically are paid more than TE's), Kraft goin the frugal route & gunning for TE's....

Brady's not gonna last forever.....

Good point. While not like in Dallas where Jerry Jones runs the show as Owner/GM and Co Head Coach, Kraft in recent years has becoming a co GM himself to Bellchick. The use of TE's instead of WR's in a pass driven league is a way for Pats to stay at the salary cap limits.

FYI. It's Opening Night at the Meadowlands. Giants vs. Cowboys.

Here are my picks:

Giants: 9-7. I know this low of a record will upset Giants fans, but they have a killer schedule. Their division is not easy and they play San Fran, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Baltimore for six of their non-divisional games. With this schedule the Giants should get kudos if they make the playoffs.

Jets: 8-8. The Jets have a manageable schedule and could win 10+ if Sanchez and the OL ever emerge. But until then, average is about all the Jets will be.

Divisional Picks:

AFC:

East: New England

North: Baltimore

South: Houston

West: Denver

Wild Cards: Pittsburgh and Kansas City (I just can't pick San Diego, but KC has a lot of talent.)

AFC Champions: New England

NFC:

East: Philadelphia (sluggish last year, but will play inspired football for Reid after he lost a son)

North: Green Bay

South: Atlanta

West: San Fran

Wild Cards: NY Giants and Chicago. I think Detroit's lousy offseason will catch up to them.

NFC Champions: San Fran. I just don't think Phily will go through the hump.

Super Bowl Champions: San Francisco 49'ers

Tryon looked BAD last night. We gotta sign a CB to help out. I still don't understand management decision of letting go Deon Grant. It was obvious last night that the 4-2-5 defense worked better than the 4-3 we're running since Tyler Sash is out.

Also gotta use zone coverage to defend the quick slant. If this was Madden, using hook zone, curl zone and flat zone coverage would work nicely... too bad its much more complicated in real life :P

Here are my picks:

Giants: 9-7. I know this low of a record will upset Giants fans, but they have a killer schedule. Their division is not easy and they play San Fran, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Baltimore for six of their non-divisional games. With this schedule the Giants should get kudos if they make the playoffs.

Jets: 8-8. The Jets have a manageable schedule and could win 10+ if Sanchez and the OL ever emerge. But until then, average is about all the Jets will be.

Divisional Picks:

AFC:

East: New England

North: Baltimore

South: Houston

West: Denver

Wild Cards: Pittsburgh and Kansas City (I just can't pick San Diego, but KC has a lot of talent.)

AFC Champions: New England

NFC:

East: Philadelphia (sluggish last year, but will play inspired football for Reid after he lost a son)

North: Green Bay

South: Atlanta

West: San Fran

Wild Cards: NY Giants and Chicago. I think Detroit's lousy offseason will catch up to them.

NFC Champions: San Fran. I just don't think Phily will go through the hump.

Super Bowl Champions: San Francisco 49'ers

I like most of your picks Q10. Little disagreements in few areas but we agree on about 75-80% of our post season picks. If Giants struggle then the Eagles should win the NFCE. Not only with the tragic events of Reid's son death but Vick is due for another good season since he not a "Kid" anymore.

Surprised no one has posted this. Controversial former Cleveland Browns and later Baltimore Ravens Art Modell has died.

Lets say he the NFL version of Walter O' Malley moving the oringal Browns to Baltimore to become the Ravens. And Cleveland getting the current Browns prior to 1999 season. Not to mention he was one of the co-creators of "Monday Night and Sunday Night" Game of the week prime time games.

07modell-1-articleInline.jpg

"Art Modell, who helped make professional football more popular than baseball and rich beyond its wildest dreams but who broke Cleveland’s heart by killing his money-losing team, the Browns, to give birth to the Baltimore Ravens, died on Thursday in Baltimore. He was 87. Mr. Modell's Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2001.

The death, at Johns Hopkins Hospital, was announced on the Ravens’ Web site. Mr. Modell, who lived in Cockeysville, Md., had a history of coronary problems. In a postwar era when pro football was extending its franchises across America and its reach into the fantasies of millions of armchair quarterbacks, Mr. Modell was the hands-on owner of the Browns from 1961 to 1995 and of the Ravens from 1996 to 2003. He was also a behind-the-scenes visionary.

For 31 years, from 1962 to 1993, he represented National Football League owners in negotiations with television networks that generated $8.4 billion for the league and gave fans at home a coast-to-coast succession of games, turning Sunday afternoons, Monday nights and eventually Sunday nights into lost weekends for the most ardent fans. An innovative, relentless promoter, Mr. Modell even toyed with Friday night football."

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

My picks, ans since I'm new to this stuff, so I'm a bit indecisive on some :P . These almost aren't even picks, more like Indecisive predictions...

NFC

East: Eagles.

(Giants losing to the Cowboys really was a factor in this one...)

South: saints

North: packers

West: 49ers

Wild card: lions, cowboys/giants (not too sure)

NFC conference champ: 49ers, maybe packers

AFC

East: Patriots

South: Texans

North: Ravens

West: broncos

Wild card: jets/bills and steelers

AFC conference winner: texans

I have no idea who would win the bowl... I'll leave it at that

Week 1 Picks

New England 28 Tennessee 24 As much as I want to see the Patriots or Tight Ends as I call them now lose this game, the chances of that are slim

Miami 10 Houston 31 Could be worse than this

Indianapoils 13 Chicago 31 Again like the Miami-Houston game

Philadelphia 20 Cleveland 17 I don't see this game being easy but the Eagles still win

Buffalo 20 NY Jets 23 The Jets find a way to beat the Bills at home

Washington 17 New Orleans 31 Brees does what he has to do, throw the Saints to a win

St Louis 10 Detroit 30 Chance for the Lions to show off their offensive talents once more

Atlanta 21 Kansas City 20 This one could go either way

Jacksonville 17 Minnesota 13 A battle for maybe a Top 5 draft pick

San Francisco 35 Green Bay 21 The first of what will be at least 6 losses for the Pack this season,

Seattle 24 Arizona 21 Will likely come down to a turnover or last minute play

Carolina 30 Tampa Bay 13 Cam Newton and the Carolina running game shine

Pittsburgh 20 Denver 24 A refreshed Peyton gets past Big Ben

Cincinnati 13 Baltimore 23 DEFENSE!!!! for the Ravens

San Diego 20 Oakland 27 Special teams costs the Chargers once again

I watched that whole giants and cowboys game last night. Even being a jets fan, Romo throwing better than Manning is a disgrace.

No it is not a disgrace. For all of the Romo hating he is a 3-time Pro Bowl player and is one of few players on the Cowboys living up to his potential.

HUGE news coming out from the NFL!

The suspension for the four Saints players, one of them Jonathan Vilma, are LIFTED via appeal! They'll be eligible to play starting Week 1.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8349080/sources-suspensions-jonathan-vilma-smith-scott-fujita-anthony-hargrove-overturned-arbitration-panel

No it is not a disgrace. For all of the Romo hating he is a 3-time Pro Bowl player and is one of few players on the Cowboys living up to his potential.

IMO, mannings whole game is passing, though.

No one said he is a disgrace. We are disappointed with the Giants for not proving to the Cowboys that they are no longer America's team...

HUGE news coming out from the NFL!

The suspension for the four Saints players, one of them Jonathan Vilma, are LIFTED via appeal! They'll be eligible to play starting Week 1.

http://espn.go.com/n...bitration-panel

As i stated before and RTS and I disagree, IMO the players and Coach Peyton suspensions was way too long. The players should have gotten at most 2-3 games while Peyton should be on the shelf for 8 games. However the fines/suspensions and lost of draft picks on on the former asst. coach greg williams which is a lifetime ban and the Saints owner Benson & their GM was more than fair and warranted.

I guess this shows if your name isn't Ryan Braun, you can win appeals in sports....

Jokes aside, those players should've never been threatened with suspensions in the first place....

To this day, I think the NFL was bluffing - They didn't have any first hand evidence of Vilma being the ring leader(so to speak) in the bounty allegations... They were hoping that Vilma take the season long suspension on the chin without much of a fight...... Vilma called their bluff when he threatened to sue the league for defamation....

Good chance he would've won too.

The Big 10 had an awful Saturday. Here are some of the lowlights:

Iowa lost to Iowa State.

Nebraska lost to UCLA.

Penn State lost to Virginia.

Wisconsin lost to Oregon State.

Purdue lost to Notre Dame.

Michigan barely escaped against Air Force

As a conference they went 5-7 yesterday.

Archived