Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

took the drug test on august 25th, when can i be expected to hear back for the medical process?

If you hear back from them after September 25th, it will be for a second drug test before they can proceed for the medical, since the drug tests are valid for only thirty days.

Just got a email to come in for final processing. On Monday and Training class start sept.25

Congrats? Mind sharing your list number? Please be discreet as far as revealing the last two digits (example - my # is 28**, aka the 2800's)

And please refrain from posting the same thing twice in the future...thank you...

Edited by +Young+

Nah no spam Charlie actually call me himself and then send the email

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!!! I just realized your list number is 800 numbers in front of mine. So maybe I won't get an email/call just yet

Congrats? Mind sharing your list number? Please be discreet as far as revealing the last two digits (example - my # is 28**, aka the 2800's)

And please refrain from posting the same thing twice in the future...thank you...

His list # is #11**

So the mail just arrived and I received a letter from 180 Livingston Street. Upon opening the letter, I realize that it's an invitation to come down to 180 Livingston Street on Friday, 9/22/17 for the drug test!! I couldn't be more happier!!

(List number is in between 2,800 & 2,850)

So the mail just arrived and I received a letter from 180 Livingston Street. Upon opening the letter, I realize that it's an invitation to come down to 180 Livingston Street on Friday, 9/22/17 for the drug test!! I couldn't be more happier!!

Nice! Congrats young, know you been waiting for some time.

niceeee it looks like they are finally speeding up the process

took the drug test on the 21st, was in and out super quick. haven't heard anything back. I called DCAS and it says I'm still in outstanding certification. I'm assuming I'll have to do another drug test since it's about to be 30 days. what number should I be expecting if they call for me to come back in ? I'm keeping a close eye on my email as well. hope all is well fellas.

Hey guys this is my first post.  I've been lurking in this thread for a long time while I've been waiting to be hired, which happened last month (List # between 1200 and 1300).  I'm currently in the class of about 50 people that started on the 9/11, and one thing that the instructors have stressed to us is that transit is trying to hire at least 500 more track workers over the next year.  Supposedly they will be doing new classes pretty frequently from now through May.  Good luck.

Another piece of good news is that during orientation, it was explained that sometime in January and February, there will be a small pay bump of 2.5% everyone's base pay, which is great, since there are a lot of deductions (401k, union dues, etc..) on our bi weekly paychecks.  Combined with the night differential, which currently starts at $0.95 and will also increase, we should be making a little over $24/hr assuming we work night shifts through the next years.

Also your list number is your seniority number for THE CLASS your in. so if you have the lowest list number out of your class, you have first choice of where you will be assigned for field training (which is in bk and bx) and when training is over and you go on the tracks for good. Remember stay vigilant if you were invited down last month and this month for pre employment. Next class is the 25th for 50 ppl and you want to make that one if you got called in already to start the process . If you feel you will fail the medical, go to your doctor for whatever you think you may fail and have him say "your healthy enough to perform the duties of your title without medication usage" . Ie. If you have high blood pressure or your in a family that does and your unsure, go to your doctor BEFORE transit calls you in to let him know you might fail and that you need his approval. Don't have him give it to you then because they might complain about the date being too far from the medical . Like if you find out on a Monday That you have to go down Wednesday to transit for medical , go see your doctor Monday or Tuesday the LATEST and get that note that way it's dated within the same week as you taking the medical. That goes for any condition you think you might fail from (eyes,hearing,breathing,ekg which is heart monitoring) if you think you'll fail the ekg, you have to get a sonigram and an echocardiogram(I think you just need the echo but both are good to have together) from your doctor , bring copies of those readings PLUS a doctors note saying your healthy enough to work without meds. This may take some time for the sonogram and echo to come from the lab your doctor deals with so I would do this a week or 2 in advance when you THINK you'll be called. Transit normally lets you know you'll be taking a medical exam 2-5 days in advance so that might not be enuff time to get your results from the doctors. If you think that might be the case with any other condition , go a week before you think they will be calling you and get whatever it is cleared from him/her. Worst that can happen is they won't call you the week you think they will and you just ask your doc for the same clearance but with a more updated date closer to your medical exam. Good luck fellas wish we all could get out there but take other exams and score HIGH

Hey guys this is my first post. I've been lurking in this thread for a long time while I've been waiting to be hired, which happened last month (List # between 1200 and 1300). I'm currently in the class of about 50 people that started on the 9/11, and one thing that the instructors have stressed to us is that transit is trying to hire at least 500 more track workers over the next year. Supposedly they will be doing new classes pretty frequently from now through May. Good luck.

Another piece of good news is that during orientation, it was explained that sometime in January and February, there will be a small pay bump of 2.5% everyone's base pay, which is great, since there are a lot of deductions (401k, union dues, etc..) on our bi weekly paychecks. Combined with the night differential, which currently starts at $0.95 and will also increase, we should be making a little over $24/hr assuming we work night shifts through the next years.

Good info. Thanks! I have a question though. What did you wear/was acceptable during your orientation?

Good info. Thanks! I have a question though. What did you wear/was acceptable during your orientation?

I just wore a polo shirt, and some normal jeans.  For the actual class that starts on the third day, wear anything that you're not worried about getting dirty.  They provided shoes mid-day through the first day of training, so wear anything that is not explicitly forbidden in the paper they give you when you are sworn in.

What’s the highest list number in the 9/11 class?

Don't know.  I do know of one person who was in the mid to high 1300's that was there, so I'm betting a lot of people got passed over since there was a 100+ gap between us in list number.  I'd also bring a decent sized duffel bag on the first two days since you will be given two pairs of work boots, and a large bag of gear (includes helmet, flashlight, two safety vests, whistle, visors, goggles, ear protectors, gloves, etc...) to take home. 

Another thing they stressed is that this job can be very dangerous really quick if you are not alert, or are being careless.  Please guys, if you are regular weed smoker, you should stop once you start, and if you drink alcohol regularly, don't do it within 10 hours of starting a shift.  They emphasized that if you are in an accident, they will immediately drug test you, and if you test positive, you're done.  Probation for a year is no joke, and they can fire you very easily during this time.  Track workers need to look out for each other, and lives can be put at risk if you are not mentally 100% when you are working others in your crew.  They told lots of stories about gruesome accidents that can happen on this job due to negligence, or someone being impaired or under the influence.  

Otherwise, the instructors, and other track workers who were training for a promotion  in the building say the job is awesome, the benefits are great, and that the work intensity on an average shift, is not as bad some may make it out to be.   You just have to know the safety procedures and use common sense when in doubt.

PS:  Be on time everyday, and think long and hard before even thinking of using a sick day.  They really don't like it if you abuse your sick days in this company.

Edited by amendamatrix

I just wore a polo shirt, and some normal jeans.  For the actual class that starts on the third day, wear anything that you're not worried about getting dirty.  They provided shoes mid-day through the first day of training, so wear anything that is not explicitly forbidden in the paper they give you when you are sworn in.

Don't know.  I do know of one person who was in the mid to high 1300's that was there, so I'm betting a lot of people got passed over since there was a 100+ gap between us in list number.  I'd also bring a decent sized duffel bag on the first two days since you will be given two pairs of work boots, and a large bag of gear (includes helmet, flashlight, two safety vests, whistle, visors, goggles, ear protectors, gloves, etc...) to take home. 

Another thing they stressed is that this job can be very dangerous really quick if you are not alert, or are being careless.  Please guys, if you are regular weed smoker, you should stop once you start, and if you drink alcohol regularly, don't do it within 10 hours of starting a shift.  They emphasized that if you are in an accident, they will immediately drug test you, and if you test positive, you're done.  Probation for a year is no joke, and they can fire you very easily during this time.  Track workers need to look out for each other, and lives can be put at risk if you are not mentally 100% when you are working others in your crew.  They told lots of stories about gruesome accidents that can happen on this job due to negligence, or someone being impaired or under the influence.  

Otherwise, the instructors, and other track workers who were training for a promotion  in the building say the job is awesome, the benefits are great, and that the work intensity on an average shift, is not as bad some may make it out to be.   You just have to know the safety procedures and use common sense when in doubt.

PS:  Be on time everyday, and think long and hard before even thinking of using a sick day.  They really don't like it if you abuse your sick days in this company.

I like the information you provided, however I have two questions:

a) What's the purpose of the whistle?

b) I understand what you said about being on probation, however, isn't the hardest part of probation being on "snow duty"?

Though you're always required to have your whistle on you as well as other PPE the main purpose of the whistle is for when your flagging even though they've begun to use air horns now on larger jobs.

Snow duty is not hard at all. It can be cold but not hard.

One attitude to keep in order to pass probation is if your asked to do something never refuse or say no. Say "I'll try" even if you're unsure or scared and go out and make an effort. If you can't do it then you tell them you're having a problem with it. That way you did not refuse an order.