Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

On 9/25/2017 at 7:30 AM, Queensqueens111 said:

Showed up today on my rescheduled day, only to be told there is no vacancy for this position. Was told to now head down to somewhere in the city to put myself back on the list.

On 9/25/2017 at 9:00 AM, Queensqueens111 said:

I'm in the 2600s and no, never did. DCAS said I'm still on the list and Livingston st is wrong, as they haven't gotten that high on the list yet. No idea why I was called in for a pre-employment process to begin with, whole situation is just confusing so who knows.

I'm in the 2800's...originally, I was supposed to go down last Friday, but then I got a notice saying to come down this Friday (9/29/17). Thanks to this information, I'm trying to get a hold of someone at the employment center (347-643-8229/30/31/32) or Ms. Robinson (347-643-8198) to clarify as far as whether I should report or not...

On 9/25/2017 at 9:10 AM, Queensqueens111 said:

Also centre st said the list is stopped in the 1600s but people here higher on the list then that have claimed to taken the drug test already. Sucks there is no way to get a definitive answer on what's going on, it's just wait and hope this mess didn't bump you off the list.

I have a friend on Facebook from high school who's in the 1900's and took a drug test in late August...if you do get bumped off the list, you do have three [3] more chances to restore your name...

Edited by +Young+

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after calling several times, I spoke to someone at 9:45 AM and this is what they said:

At the current time, they had to send the list back to DCAS. With that said, they are not currently processing anybody for Track Worker. Once they get the list back from DCAS (in which they did not say when), then they will continue to process people for Track Worker.

Therefore, as of now, I am not going down to Livingston Street on Friday, since they said that I will be turned away.

(List # is in between 2800 & 2850)

Edited by +Young+

2 hours ago, Aahhhwoooooo said:

G13, Doc cleared me. I got my white slip of approval down at Livingston but there weren't any positions available so I was told to go down to 1 Centre st. To restore my name to the list :-/

That sucks...they couldn't call you back for another drug test and final processing when they are ready, since the pre-employment paperwork and the medical are good for 90 days?

Hopefully once NYC Transit gets the list back from DCAS, most of this bu**shit will stop and they'll have their acts together...

1 hour ago, scoop11211 said:

Hi guys so my list number# is in the 1900s i went for my pre employment on aug 25 i know the drug test expires within 30 days so my question is once the drug test expires i have to reinstate my name in the list please help me out cuz im confuse 

You shouldn't have to...they should be able to call you for a second drug test about a week before they're ready to proceed with the medical & final processing...

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

11 hours ago, Queensqueens111 said:

I showed up last week for drug test only to be sent home. They rescheduled me but didn't mail the letters out in time telling so. Showed up today on my rescheduled day, only to be told there is no vacancy for this position. Was told to now head down to somewhere in the city to put myself back on the list.

So I took the drug test on the aug 21st and I was waiting to get call back for the medical. My list # is in the 1600’s do I need to go down and get reinstated? If anyone knows can you please help. This whole situation is confusing.

1 hour ago, Rad0326 said:

So I took the drug test on the aug 21st and I was waiting to get call back for the medical. My list # is in the 1600’s do I need to go down and get reinstated? If anyone knows can you please help. This whole situation is confusing.

I would call them to confirm if you have to or not (347-643-8229/30/31/32, or Ms. Robinson @ 347-643-8198), however if you took the first drug test, I don't think you have to go down to re-instate yourself to the list. They never said anything to me about going down and re-instating myself to the list. In addition, when you took the first drug test, didn't they say to you that they would get back to you anywhere from 3 to 90 calendar days?

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

I believe only some of us were told to restore out names back on the list due to medical holds. Since I was on a medical hold, people with higher numbers than mine (13X9), meaning 1400s or higher, were hired. The list keeps going whether you have a medical hold or not and if you are passed due to medical hold or not showing up for pre-employment, you will have to restore your name on list.  

If you havent gone for medical yet, i would say not to worry. This process of restoring list # has most likely been going on since the list came out.

Edited by Aahhhwoooooo

Hi everyone,

This is my first time using a forum like this so hoping to get some answers.

I received a letter from the MTA for a "rescheduled interview date" for track worker. I'm scheduled to go to 180 Livingston st. on 9/29/2017 at 7:30 am. My list number is in the 28xx. I have a few questions I'll outline next. 

1.) Can I reschedule the interview date for any reasons? (sick, can't leave work, etc.). If I do will I lose my chance of getting this job at the MTA or is there a way to get back on the list again and if so how?

2.) Is the drug test done on the same day or do they schedule it for you? Is it a urine test or a hair follicle test?

3.) Can I postpone the drug test for any reasons? (sick, drank the night prior, etc.)

4.) This is the first ever letter I received from the MTA, yet it states the interview is already "rescheduled". Why is that?

5.) Do I need to bring in my resume and the other docs they ask for the first day or does that come later?

6.) Also can I take a drug test / medical exam at my own expense and bring in the results or do they require to do it through their channels?

7.) What is the exact process of this pre-employment interview from coming in to the building to leaving it?

Thanks to all in advance any info is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

4 minutes ago, volchik696 said:

Hi everyone,

This is my first time using a forum like this so hoping to get some answers....

First of all, welcome!! My apologies if the site is not running 100% smoothly from your perspective (click here for more information on that). My list number is also in the 2800's, which doesn't make me feel as "isolated" compared to a few weeks ago.

Before you go down, I would strongly recommend you call HR (347-643-8229/30/31/32) to confirm whether or not you should come in. I called earlier this morning and my response can be read here.

As far as your questions are concerned, from my experience (since I went through this in late 2013/early 2014/summer 2017), and from what I've read, here is my input:

1) If you need to reschedule, call one of the phone numbers above and usually they will work with you to come in a different day during that particular week. Providing this is done within a short time frame, such as a few days, you will not lose your chance of getting the job.

2) The drug (urine) test is done on the same day.

3) Normally you can not postpone the test, except if you need to reschedule (see my answer to #1).

4) The reason for the "rescheduling" is because they originally mailed us a letter to come in on September 22nd (last Friday) and they "rescheduled" us to September 29th (this Friday), which, according to this post, isn't going to happen either.

5) You do not need your resume, however, when you go down there, bring the other documents (the completed booklet, Social Security Card, passport, etc.)

6) You cannot take a drug/medical exam at your own expense. Not only do they do it through their own channels, but they look for certain things during a medical exam that another doctor, such as your Primary Care Physician (PCP), would not find.

7) First, get there early. Normally there is a line outside of the building of at least 50 or more people if the weather is nice by the time they open (7 AM). If the weather is inclement, the "tight" line is in the lobby. You are going to sign in at the security desk, followed by taking an elevator to the 5th floor. Once you're on the 5th floor, you make another line. You will show the letter(s) you received in the mail, in addition to your ID. (IF you go this Friday, 9/29/17, they will probably turn you away at this point.) If they do not turn you away, you will receive a ticket with a number (just like DMV). Once you receive the ticket, you will make another line in front of the "employment counter" in which you'll hand in your license, so they can check for outstanding tickets (which have to be paid in order to proceed). Once that is done, then someone from HR will come out to explain the paperwork, between what you received in the mail and the additional paperwork you have to fill out at that time (which is not that much). Next, once your ticket number is called, you will proceed to the counter, hand everything in, and if all is good, then you will proceed to the drug test.

At the drug test, you "stamp" your paperwork with the time-clock 'thingy' they have and you put it through a mail slot. Once the laboratory personnel call you in, they will walk you through the procedure, and tell you to urinate in a closed-door bathroom in a cup. You will witness the laboratory personnel pour your urine into two test tubes, followed by having you sign a paper and initial the tubes. Once that is done, you check back in with the "employment counter", tell them you're leaving and that's it!!

One of the things I forgot to mention is that, in between all of these steps, is that there is a lot of waiting. Therefore, from being down there and through this a few times, instead of looking bored, like most people, bring something to read, either a newspaper, magazine, or a book, but preferably nothing electronic since they get "ticked" off by those things.

Questions? Feel free to ask, we're all here to help each other. And once again, welcome!!

Thank you so much for the quick and very detailed response. I really appreciate it.

So no cell phones huh? In this day and age? lol. But I'm not worried that's the least I worry about.

I will most likely come in regardless as I'm afraid to lose out on this. I took this exam probably more than 7 years ago and who knows what happens if I don't come. 

Being rescheduled would be best case scenario for me.

If I get there at 7:30 like the letter states or 5 minutes later give or take will they tell me to go home? Or will I just end up waiting much longer? (i'm fine with waiting, like I said anything to postpone this for a later time is my ultimate goal).

Can you tell me what booklet this is? I never received anything like that. Do I need to download it? Or will they give it to me there if I don't bring it in.

I will be going to bed don't want to hold you up. But I will be looking out for a reply in the morning if you will give one. Again thanks so much. And have a great night. Cheers!

15 minutes ago, volchik696 said:

Thank you so much for the quick and very detailed response. I really appreciate it....

No problem. As far as cell phones, try and be discreet about it. If you send a brief text message here and there, that's fine, but they don't want you talking on the phone and being rude to others while you're waiting, just like at DMV or at a Doctor's office. Got it?

We all took the exam over 7 years ago, so you're not the only one, trust me.

If you get there at 7:30, you will not only initially wait much longer, but once you reach the 5th floor, the person at the first counter you'll come to will probably tell you to go home. If you read this thread from the second post on page 223 to this one, from my perspective, somebody between Transit & DCAS "screwed up" BIG time, in which the "official list" is back in the hands of DCAS, As a result, Transit can not do anything until they get the "official list" back from DCAS. When this is going to happen - I honestly don't know. Hopefully (and I emphasize hopefully), the sooner, the better.

The booklet I'm referring to is the one they mailed you with the initial letter inviting you to go down to Livingston Street on September 22nd. It was attached to the other papers, indicating what you have to bring (social security card, passport, license, etc.). If you didn't get it, they will give it to you down there.

Any other questions? Like I said, we're all in the same boat, and we're all here to help each other...

Edited by +Young+
Clarification...

I heard that they have you do a color blind test during the medical. Does being color blind disqualify you from becoming a track worker? I've never been able to pass the Ishihara test (the one with circle with different color dots where you have to say what number is in it). I have been looking into getting contacts that 100% guarantee you to pass the test. Will they let me where them for the test? and is it necessary for getting hired?

another question,

I took my drug test on 9/19. My list number is 223x. Any idea when to expect a call to go in for the medical? I was planning to go up to my house in the mountains for a week or so but I don't get cell service up there and I don't want to miss the phone call. They email the alert for the medical aswell though, right?

17 hours ago, Queensqueens111 said:

Also centre st said the list is stopped in the 1600s but people here higher on the list then that have claimed to taken the drug test already. Sucks there is no way to get a definitive answer on what's going on, it's just wait and hope this mess didn't bump you off the list.

yeah I'm 223x and took the drug test on 9/19

6 hours ago, noska said:

... I have been looking into getting contacts that 100% guarantee you to pass the test. Will they let me where them for the test? and is it necessary for getting hired?

another question,

I took my drug test on 9/19. My list number is 223x. Any idea when to expect a call to go in for the medical? I was planning to go up to my house in the mountains for a week or so but I don't get cell service up there and I don't want to miss the phone call. They email the alert for the medical aswell though, right?

I have a 'gut' feeling they will let you wear either glasses or contacts to pass the vision test, however, keep in mind that in the Track Department, contacts are not allowed! Only glasses!

As far as when to expect a call to go in for medical - they say "anywhere from 3 to 90 days" to cover themselves. It all depends on how many people who have a lower list number than you showed up and passed the first drug test, since I have a friend who's in the 1900's and took the first drug test in late August, and is still waiting to hear back as well. If I had to take an educated guess - it'll be at least one month, especially since DCAS has the "official list" in their possession. And yes, they e-mail you for the medical.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+

1 minute ago, +Young+ said:

I have a 'gut' feeling they will let you wear either glasses or contacts to pass the vision test, however, keep in mind that in the Track Department, contacts are not allowed! Only glasses!

As far as when to expect a call to go in for medical - they say "anywhere from 3 to 90 days" to cover themselves. It all depends on how many people who have a lower list number than you showed up and passed the first drug test. If I had to take an educated guess - it'll be at least one month, especially since DCAS has the "official list" in their possession. And yes, they e-mail you for the medical.

Good luck!!

what number should I expect for the callback for the second drug test since the one I took on 8/21 is most likely no longer valid. haven't heard back from them since. 

6 hours ago, noska said:

... I have been looking into getting contacts that 100% guarantee you to pass the test. Will they let me where them for the test? and is it necessary for getting hired?

another question,

As far as when to expect a call to go in for medical - they say "anywhere from 3 to 90 days" to cover themselves. It all depends on how many people who have a lower list number than you showed up and passed the first drug test. If I had to take an educated guess - it'll be at least one month, especially since DCAS has the "official list" in their possession. And yes, they e-mail you for the medical.

Good luck!!

On 11/14/2015 at 8:22 PM, drop11412 said:
On 11/14/2015 at 5:30 PM, Bklyn718 said:

Anyone know the number they use to contact you for the physical?

Is it a 212 or 718 number? I took the drug test on sept 28th and Im currently waiting for the call and dont want to miss it.

(718) 694-1000.when you see this # pick up asap.

2 minutes ago, ebenz1 said:

what number should I expect for the callback for the second drug test since the one I took on 8/21 is most likely no longer valid. haven't heard back from them since. 

Question answered in the first quote. I would also be on the lookout for any number with 347-643-xxxx as well.

8 hours ago, +Young+ said:

No problem. As far as cell phones, try and be discreet about it. If you send a brief text message here and there, that's fine, but they don't want you talking on the phone and being rude to others while you're waiting, just like at DMV or at a Doctor's office. Got it?

We all took the exam over 7 years ago, so you're not the only one, trust me.

If you get there at 7:30, you will not only initially wait much longer, but once you reach the 5th floor, the person at the first counter you'll come to will probably tell you to go home. If you read this thread from the second post on page 223 to this one, from my perspective, somebody between Transit & DCAS "screwed up" BIG time, in which the "official list" is back in the hands of DCAS, As a result, Transit can not do anything until they get the "official list" back from DCAS. When this is going to happen - I honestly don't know. Hopefully (and I emphasize hopefully), the sooner, the better.

The booklet I'm referring to is the one they mailed you with the initial letter inviting you to go down to Livingston Street on September 22nd. It was attached to the other papers, indicating what you have to bring (social security card, passport, license, etc.). If you didn't get it, they will give it to you down there.

Any other questions? Like I said, we're all in the same boat, and we're all here to help each other...

I just play games on the phone with headphones so don't think I'll bother anyone.

If I show up at 7 30 and the person at the 5th floor tells me to go home, does that mean game over or I'm rescheduledtill next time?

I read like the first 10 and last and last 10 pages on this thread which helped although not sure I fully understand the whole who has the list and what not.

I never got that initial letter. I only received this rescheduled interview letter that came to my parents house since I had that address back then.

You said they check your license now do they check mta tickets or driving tickets? I have a red light ticket for which the hearing is in December. Does that pertain to them?

Also I've been calling the 29/30/31/32 numbers since 8 am and me. Robinson's number too and left a voicemail. Do you know a good time to reach them perhaps?

Thanks in advance

(My apologies for not quoting you - my post would just be too lengthy)

If they tell you to go home at 7:30, that means you'll be rescheduled until next time, whenever that is.

As far as who has the "official list" - this is the first time that I ever heard of such a scenario, unless it was done discreetly numerous times. Therefore, hopefully the HR Dept. of NYC Transit will get the "official list" back from DCAS within a short amount of time.

Since you never got the initial letter, when you go down there, just ask them for a copy. It's not a big deal.

They check both MTA & driving tickets. Since you have a red light ticket, and the hearing is in December, that is technically "pending". They will not allow you to proceed unless you pay it.

As far as calling them, the other day I started calling the numbers at 9 AM, and dialed the 29/30/31/32 numbers over and over again, and somebody picked up at 9:45.

Good luck...

Edited by +Young+