Carriage horse bucks itself free near Central Park, sends driver, 2 passeng

BM5 via Woodhaven

BY MATTHEW MCNULTYAND SARAH ARMAGHAN/ NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

THURSDAY, AUGUST 16, 2012, 6:25 PM

horse17n-3-web.jpg

SAM COSTANZA

A runaway carriage horse wreaked havoc during the start of rush hour Thursday afternoon after breaking free and running off before hitting a parked car near Columbus Circle.

Australian tourists Nathan and Kelly Thompson were enjoying a ride around the popular tourist spot around 4:20 p.m. when driver Mehmet Dundar tried to merge into traffic at the circle, witnesses and law enforcement sources said.

The black and white horse - aptly named Oreo - got spooked by a close-passing van and other heavy traffic, sending it into a frenzy, witnesses and officials said.

Six-year-old Oreo bucked and got loose from the carriage, sending Dundar, 34, of Brooklyn, and the Thompsons, both 32, spilling into the street, the sources and witnesses said.

The horse took off and galloped away - hitting a parked car along the way - before officers from the Midtown North precinct corralled him on Ninth Avenue between W. 57th and W. 58th Sts.

“It was a little scary seeing a horse running down Ninth Avenue,” said witness Gaelle Paul.

Officers from the NYPD Mounted Unit took Oreo back to the stable on W. 52nd St. near 12th Avenue.

Dundar was taken to Bellevue Hospital Center with a possible broken leg, sources said. Nathan Thompson was cut on his heel and was seen bleeding in the middle of the street, witnesses said.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...2#ixzz23urPveKT

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...2#ixzz23urFUQKU

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________Well I know this was from a couple of days ago, and advocates are trying to end horse carrage riding. The question, do you think horse carrage driving should end

Horse Carriage count as motor vehicle, so it could go in Motor section also.

It is not joking matter.

This is serious and accidents happens too much

This is reason why NY Class, Ban Horse Carriage Comission and Friends of Animal including ASCPA supports ban to Horse Drawn Carriage and replace with this safer Antique Electric Vintage Car.

Even New York State Assemby Member Michael G. DenDekker is also supporting ban to horse carriage also.

Horse Carriage drivers jump red light, overload passengers like 7-people on 4 passengers limit, they go the wrong way. They even have distracted driving like talking on cell phone; texting while operate horse carriage.

They also fail to yield to pedestrian just like bike.

This car will be fully funded by NY Class and this will be built in warehouses somewhere in Brooklyn, Queens, or maybe Bronx.

When they built they want to get permit for test trial, which will operate along the current Carriage routes.

They car can go in Slow Speed and catch up with city traffic on streets of motor vehicles.

405524_107682002713265_212418129_n.jpg

Even some TWU Local 100 and 252 friends support to ban Horse Drawn Carriage.

the people who ride the carragies don't want a knock off jalopie, they want the horses.

they might work just fine mechanicly (apart from needing thier battery packs replaced every three to five years), but it's going to be bad for business.

Horse Carriage drivers jump red light

this is New York City. EVERYBODY jumps the red lights.

they're just a few horses. why is this such a big deal? If you head over the border to Quebec, THEY EAT THEM! you can go the local supermarket and buy horse meat next to the beef and pork.

With all these accidents, horses are being abused.

Tourists who were on spooked carriage ride will avoid any horse carriage ride.

These horses need freedom because speedy bicycles, pedicabs and cars don't care for working horses.

Some carriage drivers also abusing horse like operating in 90^F which ASCPA law requires horse to return to carriage when it reach 90*F or 18*F. Air tempeherrature, humanities does not count.

These horses cannot take in the coldest or heat wave.

This electric antique vintage car can run at any weather conditions, so there will be no suspension like carriage ride.

Also, if you seen the stables, these stables are fire hazardous and horses are prison in their narrow stables through out west side.

There are two stables near Lincoln Tunnel entrance and it is very dangerous because this is where car and truck drivers goes bersek to trying to get into tunnel.

There was one close car, car backing up pack did not pay attention to carriage driver pulling over to hack line, and that horse almost got spooked.

Horses are unsafe in city street due to fast city.

I have watch many horse movie and these horses enjoy the freedom with caring family.

When this car passed, retired carriage horses will be sent to sanctually where people will have freedom and people/student will enjoy the carriage horses having freedom.

Right now, carriage horses has no freedom and some drivers they abused their horse and they make them dash run to make money; overload passengers.

I almost notice that one of carriage drivers were fixing carriage because they overload the passenger which makes horses very tired.

Lots of tourists who passed by during Saturday Advocate to ban Carriage rides has sent tourists flying to us to stop to sign petition.

ASCPA is also against Horse Carriage Industry.

So, you're all worked up and worried over some animals.

Meanwhile, it's just a horse; doing the same thing it's species has done for 6 thousand years, 5854 of which there was no ASPCA.

I see you're worried about them. Meanwhile. there are millions of members of your own species who suffer day in and day out. Some of whom give anything to be in those horses shoes. What are you doing to help them? Intelegent, self-aware beings who are beaten, starved and degreded day in and day out, and yet you want me to feel sorry for a horse? I find it hard to feel sorry for something that can't feel sorry for itself.

So, you're all worked up and worried over some animals.

Meanwhile, it's just a horse; doing the same thing it's species has done for 6 thousand years, 5854 of which there was no ASPCA.

I see you're worried about them. Meanwhile. there are millions of members of your own species who suffer day in and day out. Some of whom give anything to be in those horses shoes. What are you doing to help them? Intelegent, self-aware beings who are beaten, starved and degreded day in and day out, and yet you want me to feel sorry for a horse? I find it hard to feel sorry for something that can't feel sorry for itself.

They probably should have shot it like that dog, eh?

I hate the smell of horse sh!t. Nasty. (makes m y eyes tear up like I'm cutting barrells of onions with added nausea) That's all I can say in this thread. Aside from the sub-animal treatment of horses i which I've read about in certain city stalls ......

I do not walk along central park south for that reason....

The unpredictability of a horse breaking free running loose, and the fact it smells like f@ over there.... The area around 5th/59th are flooded with people too....

hell, 5th b/w 34th & 59th I try to avoid walking along anyway, due to so many tourists stopping in front of you taking pics of any little thing (a NYC pigeon taking a dump isn't any different from a pigeon in Nebrasker takin a dump... smh), and all the window shoppers loitering around daydreaming & drooling over wth they can't afford......

Archived