MTA should start putting MVM's in more places.

Lennyj17

I noticed something this morning on while on the Q34 that more and more people have empty Metrocards around change of the Months along Parsons and Kissena.. This morning the BO must've waived 10 people through who had less than 2.25 or empty Unlimited cards, and they all needed to wait until they go to the (7) to refill.

Not going to lie this has happened to me a few times, BOs never gave me a hard time about it, and I appreciate that as I'm an honest person who sometime loses track and can't do anything until I get to Flushing or Jamaica.

Anyway this leads me to my question. with the New fee for New MCs coming online, Why doesn't the MTA contract with certain outlets that are far from Subway Stations to place MVM's in very dense locations. I think this would also curtail some fare beating situations. Even if its just the smaller C&D card only machines so the MTA doesn't have to hire more guys to empty the cash of the Bigger Machines.

- Grocery Stores, Drug Stores

Places like NE BX, Far Queens, Southern Brooklyn. and throughout all of SI...

Just a thought, and it sure would be more convenient.

I certainly think they should add some MVMs at the major stops and major terminals (Kings Plaza for one). Places far away from the subway stations can certainly use those to help cut down on people holding up the bus asking people for spare change.

If vandalism is an issue, have daily inspections of the machines to make sure it is still working and undamaged as well as having an overhead camera above the machine (hang it on a cable or lamp pole).

I agreed there should be MetroCard Vending Machine of both side on following areas,

New York City:

Brooklyn

Kings Plaza

DUMBO

The Bronx

Fordham Plaza

Bay Plaza/Bartow Av Mall

Queens:

165th St Bus Terminal

JFK AirTrain Terminals through out airport.

LGA Airport (Currently on small machine is only available at Central Terminal Building)

Staten Island

Richmond Av/Hylan Blvd Terminal

Staten Island Mall

Staten Island Railway Stations

Nassau County (NICE)

Roosevelt Field Mall

Green Acres Mall

Walt Whitman Mall

Sunrise Mall

All hospitals

Westchester County

Town Cortlandt Center- Peekskill

Jefferson Valley Mall

Westchester County Airport

Westchester Medical Center

Rye Playland

Cross County Shopping Center

White PlainsTransCenter

Westchester County Center

Bayonne, New Jersey

34th St-Hudson Bergen Lightrail Station- Since S89 bus stops here during rush hour, and properly MetroCard vendors in New Jersey might be only Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard.

Yes, they do need to expand on more MVMs. Especially Staten Island, Nassau and Westchester Counties, which is not accessible to the Subway. I know Westchester County is accessible if your in the way lower section near the IRT Lines, but thats it. While there is the MTA Vending Buses going around neighborhood, its not like a 24/7 service, its mostly scheduled based.

Another option is converting the Railroad TVM for use also with purchasing MetroCards only, while continuing to maintain regular Ticket/MC+Ticket combo, within Bee-Line/NICE/NYCTA territories.

Forget MVM's, just allow more delis/gorcery stores/convenience stores to sell Metrocards. In my part of Queens, a lot of stores sell them, which is important since there are not that many subway stations in my areas. Obviously the MTA is trying to cut down on the number of new metrocards it has to print, but I think this would at least net them some extra money in the long run,

While it's better to buy a $20+ card for the bonus, I think having a MVM is good for if people need a few extra quarters to get their card to cover a fare. I think the MTA can get decent revenue from people just refilling their cards at the machines (not to mention taking bills rather than just coins for fareboxes) rather than to end up shortchanging the bus if they can't find someone to exchange for coins. It's a win for everyone (provided the machines aren't heavily vandalized).

Forget MVM's, just allow more delis/gorcery stores/convenience stores to sell Metrocards. In my part of Queens, a lot of stores sell them, which is important since there are not that many subway stations in my areas. Obviously the MTA is trying to cut down on the number of new metrocards it has to print, but I think this would at least net them some extra money in the long run,

That's counter intuitive if you're trying to get people to Refill rather than keep buying new cards.....I would rather keep refilling rather than having 5 MC's in my wallet having to Dip/Swipe each one until I find the magic one that have enough $$$$ on it to cover my fare....

This drives me insane seeing others doing it, it holds the bus up for god knows how long.

What about those who want unlimited and also those who want to refill as the above post says..

I think we need more MVMs.

Of course, Idk if we should even think about MetroCard Vending Machines expansion now, tap technology testing is suppose to start a new test next year. (As per a document I read)

Listen, you can talk about how wonderful the MVM's are until you turn blue, but realistically, the MTA is not going to pay to have them set up in random stores all over the city. Someone above stated that they might not even be technologically able to do that. On top of that, think of how many broken machines you see in a typical week. At least half the ones I see are broken, and there aren't enough collections agents to go out to the edge of Brooklyn because someone broke a machine in a deli.

Once the tap system or the multipass or whatever they call it is instituted, this won't matter anymore. Until then, a fair gap measure is to sell more pre-filled cards. And btw, the MTA must love when people have 5 cards with odd amounts on them, since they will all get drained by a farebox until you have a card with full fare. I've paid like 4 bucks for a local ride on occasion because of that.

Why not sign up to have your metrocard automatically refilled from your credit card or bank account? The MTA is not going to waste money installing and maintaining mvms when you can have your card refilled automatically.

That may work for some, but I don't trust EZPay MC:

1 - You can't control when refill takes place

2 - It's a Pass so you can't get a Balance anywhere, not on the Bus, Not at the Turnstile, Not at a Balance Reader, Not at an MVM.

3 - You can't set the floor amount that triggers the refill (i heard one person say was 20$, one person said it was 10$)

4 - When you call CS for a Balance its delayed by a day, so they're going to give you yesterday's balance.

5 - I've heard horror stories about people losing transfers with this card.

That may work for some, but I don't trust EZPay MC:

1 - You can't control when refill takes place

2 - It's a Pass so you can't get a Balance anywhere, not on the Bus, Not at the Turnstile, Not at a Balance Reader, Not at an MVM.

3 - You can't set the floor amount that triggers the refill (i heard one person say was 20$, one person said it was 10$)

4 - When you call CS for a Balance its delayed by a day, so they're going to give you yesterday's balance.

5 - I've heard horror stories about people losing transfers with this card.

Well if thats the case the best option would be going through transit check. That would eliminate all those problems.

with NJ Transit in South Jersey, there needs to be more convient stores in Camden County that can sell monthly passes than just WRTC, Phil Greyhound, Avandale P/R. I usually end up going to a United Check Cashing Place in Burlington County that sells NJT Monthly passes, just to avoid going to Camden.

Only tourist center that used to have MetroCard Vending Machine was NYCVIST TOurist Center on 7th Av/53rd St, but not any more.

I think Metropolitan Museum of Art and Cloisters should have MetroCard Vending Machine because majority of tourists sometimes takes bus since it's closer.

• 4 weeks later...

Store merchants are not always good.

Sometimes they sold out and riders who are not close to subway station has to look for another stores that sells MetroCard.

Once I went to small deli store in White Plains TransCenter and MetroCard was sold out.

Wouldn't the Metro North station across the street sell metrocards?

I think that MVMs should be at the following places.

Queens: 165th Street Bus Terminal & LGA Airport.

The Bronx: Fordham Plaza and Bay Plaza

Brooklyn: Spring Creek Mall, Kings Plaza and Postal Facility (Maybe)

Staten Island: Staten Island Mall and all SIR stations except St. George.

Nassau County: Mineola Intermodal Center, Hicksville LIRR, and Sunrise Mall.

Westchester County: White Plains Transit Center.

Archived