Grade Timers between 42nd-72nd street Uptown IRT West side express???

Andrew

The other day,I took an uptown 2 train to 96th street and was shocked to see Grade timers by 66th street which kills the ride.Even worse is the timers coming into 96th street,they are slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow as hell.When did they do this?

Thats odd tho... Because my Uptown (2) was running fast yesterday between 42/72. (But then again I wasn't focusing much, I'll have to check again next time).. But I did noticed a few weeks ago it slowed down at 66th. Thought it was tunnel work.

For the 96th Street one, thats been there for years. And yes I agree, its becoming really stupid lately.

I was on the WTC (E) train Saturday, and when I got into 5th Avenue, for the 2nd time in a row, the crap slowed down. Timer......

As I mentioned a few post ago, the (MTA) is saying they are improving and making service fast, but with all these timers around, its more of a fking lie....

Did you physically see an illuminated 'S' or did the train just slow a bit making you think there were timers...

THe train slowed and there were 2 yelllows,after 66th street once the last signal went to green,it was all green coming into 72nd street.

THe train slowed and there were 2 yelllows,after 66th street once the last signal went to green,it was all green coming into 72nd street.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there were timers...Besides, I have no idea why they'd put timers there. Contrary to popular railfan belief, the MTA doesn't just randomly install timers to gradually slow the entire system down. They add timers when they think there's a specific reason for them (that doesn't always mean that there is a good reason for them). Anyway, if someone who's ridden the (2)(3) through that section in the last few days can comment, that would be helpful. I was thinking of heading up to 125 St some time soon, in which case, I'll report back to everyone on how fast it went.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there were timers...Besides, I have no idea why they'd put timers there. Contrary to popular railfan belief, the MTA doesn't just randomly install timers to gradually slow the entire system down. They add timers when they think there's a specific reason for them (that doesn't always mean that there is a good reason for them). Anyway, if someone who's ridden the (2)(3) through that section in the last few days can comment, that would be helpful. I was thinking of heading up to 125 St some time soon, in which case, I'll report back to everyone on how fast it went.

Yeh there aren't any timers there; used the 2 to get home from school two days ago. It hauled ass from 42nd to 96th. Andrews' train was forced to slow down probably because of a stalled train at 96th.

Yeh there aren't any timers there; used the 2 to get home from school two days ago. It hauled ass from 42nd to 96th. Andrews' train was forced to slow down probably because of a stalled train at 96th.

Actually, the Uptown/Bx Bound (2)/(3) will slow down between 86th and 96th Street. Been through that for years, even with train not in front.

Most times, more than one yellow usually means station timers (train ahead). In fact, the only places I can think of where there's more than one yellow in a row in an area with a grade timer is the express track entering Utica (A) in both directions, and Bway Jnct southbound.

Edit: just thought of a third - High St N/B.

Which wont get you past two weeks in Schoolcar....

I really doubt they would make it through the first week after reading some of the posts I've seen in the subway forums. I can see the instructors going "where the f*** did these jerks come from ?". I had a few in my C/R and M/M schoolcar classes who thought they knew it all until the instructors put them in their place, mainly by using ridicule as a means of shutting them up. Heck, one of my instructors was a Marine Corp DI before he came to Transit and one of my classmates knew him from the Marines. He tolerated questions, up to a point, but if someone would say "there are too many timers on CPW or so and so express run is too slow" he would point out the underlying reason for the condition while at the same time implying to the rest of us that perhaps the question asker wasn't bright enough to be a C/R or M/M. The attitude of the instructors back then was "just because you got a high score on a civil service test means nothing down here". I don't know how it is these days but back then a railfan or buff was fresh meat to the schoolcar crew. Their rule was basically "forget everything you thought you knew" when entering schoolcar but they also told us that there are no stupid questions. I can only speculate how some of those posters who post what they claim are "facts" would fare in schoolcar. Just my rant. Carry on folks.

I really doubt they would make it through the first week after reading some of the posts I've seen in the subway forums. I can see the instructors going "where the f*** did these jerks come from ?". I had a few in my C/R and M/M schoolcar classes who thought they knew it all until the instructors put them in their place, mainly by using ridicule as a means of shutting them up. Heck, one of my instructors was a Marine Corp DI before he came to Transit and one of my classmates knew him from the Marines. He tolerated questions, up to a point, but if someone would say "there are too many timers on CPW or so and so express run is too slow" he would point out the underlying reason for the condition while at the same time implying to the rest of us that perhaps the question asker wasn't bright enough to be a C/R or M/M. The attitude of the instructors back then was "just because you got a high score on a civil service test means nothing down here". I don't know how it is these days but back then a railfan or buff was fresh meat to the schoolcar crew. Their rule was basically "forget everything you thought you knew" when entering schoolcar but they also told us that there are no stupid questions. I can only speculate how some of those posters who post what they claim are "facts" would fare in schoolcar. Just my rant. Carry on folks.

Like those on here who think those track map schematics are 100% gospel (LOL).

Oh im sure some of em are in for a SERIOUS REALITY CHECK Come October (if there are any in that 1st Group that gets hired)...

Archived