Rats/Mice found at Manhattan's Fairway Supermarket

Shortline Bus

fairway27n-3-web.jpg

"These olives are the pits.

A revolting video posted on neighborhood blog MyUpperWest.com captured a mouse scurrying about an assortment of oily olives at the Fairway supermarket.

The nauseating footage was shot just after midnight on Wednesday at the olive bar inside the grocery store on Broadway near W. 74th St., the blog reported. The store’s hours are from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m.

“When I arrived at the area with the buckets of olives I was surprised that a man next to me jumped away from the produce and started gesticulating wildly,” wrote Glenn Herman in a letter to the store’s customer service that was posted on the blog.

“I discovered a small rat or mouse happily hanging out in the olive bins,” he added."

1)WPIX/Ch.11 (9/26/12) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYw2e9sF5tc

2)NY Post story

Reminds me of a few years back of the infamous KFC rats in Greenwich Village that closed that Chicken joint down lol. reactions?

This is why you ALWAYS wash food (fruits/vegetables that sit out in the open etc) like that before eating them.

Yes, I'd hate to say it but distribution centers have a much lower standard of quality than your local market. Still, I would hope that stores would take more precaution regarding pest control, especially in a hotspot like Mannhattan.

I've shopped here on occasion and quite frankly I don't see what is so great about the place aside from the fact that it carries lots of high end imports from Europe. Anytime I think of the Upper West Side I think of that little area and it just screams dirty. Not surprised that there would be mice running around in there. Never bought any food from there that wasn't prepackaged luckily.

Yes, I'd hate to say it but distribution centers have a much lower standard of quality than your local market. Still, I would hope that stores would take more precaution regarding pest control, especially in a hotspot like Mannhattan.

True. To lower chance (not a gurantee)of seeing jerry mouse and friends lol is seriously buy strange from the farm. I am lucky that within 30-40 minutes of my house especially in Ulster County alot of good family owned farm areas.

I've shopped here on occasion and quite frankly I don't see what is so great about the place aside from the fact that it carries lots of high end imports from Europe. Anytime I think of the Upper West Side I think of that little area and it just screams dirty. Not surprised that there would be mice running around in there. Never bought any food from there that wasn't prepackaged luckily.

Really... I see Fairway as a nice place. This is a coincidence. There a so many rats/mice in this city.

LMAO! Are you kidding me?? And what about when you're taking photos of you eating french fries at McDonald's??

:lol:

I'm not too concerned about radiation, the GM plant that closed down in my area contained radiation, I also live 10 miles or so away from Indian Point! Really, I don't understand how radiation travels 2,000+ miles across sea and then affects California

After nuclear incident, I don't eat vegetables because most vegetables are coming from California, which has high trace of radiation from Japan.

I eat Olivia Organic produces which is from East Coast and it's in protective container.

The radiation level is very low, especially as of now. Not to institut paranoia or fear into you, but you probably contracted more radiation reading this post of your screen then you ever will eating West Coast crops.

LMAO! Are you kidding me?? And what about when you're taking photos of you eating french fries at McDonald's??

I know right! :lol:

Really... I see Fairway as a nice place. This is a coincidence. There a so many rats/mice in this city.

:lol:

I'm not too concerned about radiation, the GM plant that closed down in my area contained radiation, I also live 10 miles or so away from Indian Point! Really, I don't understand how radiation travels 2,000+ miles across sea and then affects California

The radiation level is very low, especially as of now. Not to institut paranoia or fear into you, but you probably contracted more radiation reading this post of your screen then you ever will eating West Coast crops.

I know right! :lol:

After 3.11 incident, I cannot eat my favorites at all times, because of that.

Almost everyone on west coast has radiation.

One of my facebook friend (not forum member), his friend got sick from Sushi (properly radiation).

Radiation gets carried via ocean wave, fish, and air, birds.

After 3.11 incident, I only have to eat Organic products.

Many Japanese people who knows about radiation don't eat foods from West Coast either.

Before the incident, I used to eat hamburgers or sandwich at all time at MET Museum/Cloisters.

Until Japan get safety build without Nuclear Plant, I cannot eat vegetable from west coast.

From "Learn from 3.11 Letter, according to sources surveyed by Anti-Nuclear protesters, milk and sugar has dangerous level of radiation.

Instead of milk, I only have to drink Silk Milk.

My eating habitats

Back to topic, my mom always wash vegetables/fruits.

In my old apartment on 1st Av, my passed away American roommate caught rodent by his hand.

I only eat organic foods that comes with packages or bags, instead of vegetables/fruits sitting outside.

One of my facebook friend (not forum member), his friend got sick from Sushi (properly radiation).

Many Japanese people who knows about radiation don't eat foods from West Coast either.

Before the incident, I used to eat hamburgers or sandwich at all time at MET Museum/Cloisters.

Until Japan get safety build without Nuclear Plant, I cannot eat vegetable from west coast.

From "Learn from 3.11 Letter, according to sources surveyed by Anti-Nuclear protesters, milk and sugar has dangerous level of radiation.

My eating habitats

In my old apartment on 1st Av, my passed away American roommate caught rodent by his hand.

I only eat organic foods that comes with packages or bags, instead of vegetables/fruits sitting outside.

Dude I am so confused.... You say you only eat organic foods, but I never knew McDonald's (which you've posted photos of eating) served organic food... :lol:

I know about radiation and all but if you're that worried then I guess you should stop doing a lot of things like using cell phones and so on.

Lol @ calling out yuki's hypocrisy.... That's no different than these jailhouse muslim's eatin all types of fast food !

As far as the radiation & paranoia shit, I'm sure there are still folks born in the 50's & 60's waitin for scotty to beam they asses up....

Anyway, I've never heard of this place in question.....

What I will say is, I can name 5 fast food spots off the top of my head (all in manhattan) that I no longer step foot in, due to rats:

1) burger king on canal st/broadway

2) popeye's on lex/26th, around baruch

3) mcdonalds on water st (across 1 new york plaza)... I don't go here for another reason though....

4) mcdonalds on fulton st, a couple blocks from south st seaport

5) burger king on delancey, over there by the willy B.... I think it's closed though, not sure.... Good riddance for all I care...

6) mcdonalds on bowery, over by bayard st

7) burger king on broadway, by john st

that's 7 off top.... ah well, close enough....

I know a couple of Japanese friends in the West Coast, they've eaten food from the West Coast, they are perfectly healthy. (Besides their smoking habits.)

If your "research and knowledge" is true, I suspect there is little to no Japanese folks in the West Coast due to starvation then rather wait for a delivery truck from the East Coast for food aid.

---

Back on to topic, everywhere has rats, like it or not. I've seen rats at some high class restaurants, may not be visible on the floor but be sure they are there.

I know a couple of Japanese friends in the West Coast, they've eaten food from the West Coast, they are perfectly healthy. (Besides their smoking habits.)

If your "research and knowledge" is true, I suspect there is little to no Japanese folks in the West Coast due to starvation then rather wait for a delivery truck from the East Coast for food aid.

---

Back on to topic, everywhere has rats, like it or not. I've seen rats at some high class restaurants, may not be visible on the floor but be sure they are there.

Well I'm sorry but they may be everywhere, but I don't wanna see them where i'm buying my food. At one of my Belgian spots there was a water bug on the wall and everyone was cringing even though the place is pretty clean. Had it been a rat/mouse I probably would've stopped going there. Water bugs can be from anything though.

@VG8 , Point I'm trying to imply is, buying produce anywhere is prone to having something bad around it whether we see it or not. Doesn't meant we should literally stop buying and such, just have more care before using the food and such. Unless of course the place looks like a sewer then obviously we shouldn't be shopping there.

My eating habitats

Well only a matter of time before I drop dead.

Lol @ calling out yuki's hypocrisy.... That's no different than these jailhouse muslim's eatin all types of fast food !

As far as the radiation & paranoia shit, I'm sure there are still folks born in the 50's & 60's waitin for scotty to beam they asses up....

Anyway, I've never heard of this place in question.....

What I will say is, I can name 5 fast food spots off the top of my head (all in manhattan) that I no longer step foot in, due to rats:

1) burger king on canal st/broadway

2) popeye's on lex/26th, around baruch

3) mcdonalds on water st (across 1 new york plaza)... I don't go here for another reason though....

4) mcdonalds on fulton st, a couple blocks from south st seaport

5) burger king on delancey, over there by the willy B.... I think it's closed though, not sure.... Good riddance for all I care...

6) mcdonalds on bowery, over by bayard st

7) burger king on broadway, by john st

that's 7 off top.... ah well, close enough....

Thanks for the list man.

Well I'm sorry but they may be everywhere, but I don't wanna see them where i'm buying my food. At one of my Belgian spots there was a water bug on the wall and everyone was cringing even though the place is pretty clean. Had it been a rat/mouse I probably would've stopped going there. Water bugs can be from anything though.

Even I am su****ious then.

And regarding dirty restuarants, Burger King always seems to be the least sanitary regarding fast food. While I have not seen pests in any here, out by their headquarters in Miami, the stores are infested with all sorts of things. This random dude went on a triade, saying all restaurants in Florida had or have rats, blaming the location and climate. Frankly, I don't believe that is far from the truth.

Archived