Fox News accidentally airs Arizona carjacking suspect's suicide on live tv

Shortline Bus

I mean, a guy getting "shot" in a movie with a fake blood packet exploding is different than a live human being blowing his brains out for everybody to watch. I can take bad action in movies, but let me tell you something, I don't like seeing gruesome scenes in real life. In this case I think it was an actual error, but don't compare it to a movie.

Shep Smith is actually one of the most rational people on Fox News, known for taking a stand on important issues. I thought that was a decent apology as well, he's an okay guy.

It may be fake, but it's still the same act/simulation. I'm not saying let a child see it, but how much shielding can people do? And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying show it because 'it has to be'. I'm just saying if it's an accident that it was shown, then that's all it was, an accident on the part of the news crew.

Not to go off topic guys but this incident brings up a long time argument in tv news? Should violent events such as suicides, shooting/murders, warfare etc.be shown *UNEDITED* even on so called cable news channels? That was a huge issue right after 9/11 when after hundreds of viewers complained about both about the scenes of the 1st plane hitting the WTC Towers and later ppl. jumping from the towers was edited.

Yes. Why would one have fear of reality. If you want a sheltered life, don't bother watching the news, or TV in general for that matter.

Whats the big deal? They show way worse stuff than this on T.V. all of the time. And not for nothing, but back in 1987, I remember on the 6 o 'clock news, a few of the news stations showed Budd Dwyers suicide on the news and it wasnt even live when it happened. They showd Budd take the old .357 out of the envelope and shoot himself in the head and this was an upclose clear camera shot.

Not to go off topic guys but this incident brings up a long time argument in tv news? Should violent events such as suicides, shooting/murders, warfare etc.be shown *UNEDITED* even on so called cable news channels? That was a huge issue right after 9/11 when after hundreds of viewers complained about both about the scenes of the 1st plane hitting the WTC Towers and later ppl. jumping from the towers was edited.

They should go unedited, but never without the cautious "Viewer discretion is advised" messages. You can never have enough of those. You never know if a mom watching the evening news with her toddler is going to see a suicide, live. Censorship to small children is still a necessary precaution.

They should go unedited, but never without the cautious "Viewer discretion is advised" messages. You can never have enough of those. You never know if a mom watching the evening news with her toddler is going to see a suicide, live. Censorship to small children is still a necessary precaution.

Damn, live a little. Anyhow the program rating should suffice.

I heard this on the Spanish news, but the at jackets wife is suing the camera person for showing the clip of the suicide of the carjacker, while her children were watching. I'm not sure.

She wont win. Its just a frivolous lawsuit. Her husband was garbage. A pathetic excuse for a man. Its good her and her kids got to see it, they will know what scum their father was and what a coward he was to take his own life and not be accountable for his wreckless and selfish actions that could have killed innocent people. Now no one can lie to them and make him out to be this good person he wasnt.

Its good her and her kids got to see it, they will know what scum their father was and what a coward he was to take his own life\

No, it's not good. It's not good for children to watch their father kill himself on live television, period. Doesn't matter who pop is, that's not "good." Sheesh man, hope you never have kids...that's just a sick and cruel way to think about life, subjecting kids to that kind of thing.

No, it's not good. It's not good for children to watch their father kill himself on live television, period.

I was being cynical. Its a bullshit lawsuit. It was a grainy far away pic. Theres no way anyone could identify this guy just by helicopter footage. There is no lawsuit anyway. Its just a rumor. This guys family wouldnt dare put themselves in the media spotlight, he has a long history of violent crimes and was a felon. This wasnt just an isolated incident where he forgot to take his meds and went ape shit.

Archived