Which one doesn't belong (Subway edition)

Q43LTD

Makes sense. 191st Street is the deepest station in the system. But: Geographically speaking the IRT had to build the line through a cavern so thats why 125th Street on the 1 is not the answer even though its an elevated station. (Building a tunnel through there will be more costly and inefficient hence the elevated portion through the natural cavern in that area.)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell is 125th (1) BELOW sea level?

That area of manhattan (Manhattanville) is one big ass valley. If you notice Broadway, the street dips down to 125 St then goes back up while the (1) stays fairly level. Riverside Drive is the same way, that street stays level

That area of manhattan (Manhattanville) is one big ass valley. If you notice Broadway, the street dips down to 125 St then goes back up while the (1) stays fairly level. Riverside Drive is the same way, that street stays level

Wow....I just took a look at it on Google maps, I see what you mean about Broadway going down, and then back up near 132st. That's friggin cool how that part of Manhattan is like a "valley"...lol, learn something new everyday. Thanks.

It also blows my mind how smart they were in designing the IRT.

Wow....I just took a look at it on Google maps, I see what you mean about Broadway going down, and then back up near 132st. That's friggin cool how that part of Manhattan is like a "valley"...lol, learn something new everyday. Thanks.

It also blows my mind how smart they were in designing the IRT.

The civil engineers of the IRT and the Dual Contracts were pure genius in the way they designed the system. Even the reason why IRT clearances are smaller was ingenuous for its time: As per August Belmont - So other entities cannot unify the IRT system into it because it was deliberately built to not allow for railroad cars even though they could have. I'm sure Mayor Hylan and the IND when it was created were not too happy about that....

Archived