MTA New York City Bus & MTA Bus Company Pending Bus Contracts

Chargerdodge9

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get it lol

The next 40 foot order for 850 or so buses will knock out buses pre 99 or something like that

And same depots will get these buses?

No, you have to read the title of this thread as I have changed it, and 700 of the buses are options anyway, which are not confirmed orders. These options are set up as a security blanket in case MTS and the other contenders do not come through. The base order is now for 600 buses, and the 90 is in the works as we speak.

Can you at least tell us what category these buses will be in. That should narrow things down a bit if you say they are artics or hybrids, or OTRs.

What category???? This is a 40 foot thread.....

Anyway, whatever it is, it will likely spell the end of the line for most of the remaining current RTS's and Orion Vs.

4900-5249 and a few other are not going anywhere, anytime soon.

From the BTE threads -

XD40:

-75 standard configuration($430,269), Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, LED headlamps, disk brakes

-15 optional configuration($446,809),Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, electronic cooling system, LED headlamps, disk brakes.

LFS:

-60 standard configuration($446,000), ZF Ecolife 6AP1200B, Carrier HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, and sealed beam headlamps.

-15 optional configuration($446,809), ZF Ecolife 6AP1200B, Carrier HVAC, electronic cooling system, and sealed beam headlamps.

-15 optional configuration($453,319), Allison B400R, Thermo King HVAC, hydraulic cooling system, and sealed beam headlamps.

They could if they wanted too!

It doesn't seem to cross anyone's mind that they could strengthen the bus, redesign it, or make another bus all together to handle NYC streets. The only problem is Gillig really doesn't need the MTA as they have been busy getting their buses back into cities that use to have their buses before like AC Transit and San Diego MTS. Although the Henry Crown Company now owns Gillig (as of 2008) that could change all together when we least expect it.

It doesn't seem to cross anyone's mind that they could strengthen the bus, redesign it, or make another bus all together to handle NYC streets. The only problem is Gillig really doesn't need the MTA as they have been busy getting their buses back into cities that use to have their buses before like AC Transit and San Diego MTS. Although the Henry Crown Company now owns Gillig (as of 2008) that could change all together when we least expect it.

I believe that a redesigned and strengthened Gillig Low Floor or an all-new bus from Gillig is indeed the next step. The Advantage/Low Floor was a step up from the Phantom which was a medium-duty bus, and while the Low Floor may not be suitable for NYC 'as is', it has proven to be reliable in major cities such as Buffalo, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis-St. Paul and elsewhere. Gillig may not have been interested in big-city orders when they were a family-run company but I wouldn't be shocked if the Henry Crown folks want to step up to the big leagues.

My 2 cents worth - we'll see what actually happens.

I believe that a redesigned and strengthened Gillig Low Floor or an all-new bus from Gillig is indeed the next step. The Advantage/Low Floor was a step up from the Phantom which was a medium-duty bus, and while the Low Floor may not be suitable for NYC 'as is', it has proven to be reliable in major cities such as Buffalo, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis-St. Paul and elsewhere. Gillig may not have been interested in big-city orders when they were a family-run company but I wouldn't be shocked if the Henry Crown folks want to step up to the big leagues.

My 2 cents worth - we'll see what actually happens.

I heard the early 1980s built Phantoms were the best Phantoms Gillig ever made. Matter of fact most of the 1980s built Phantoms were of better quality. Unfortunately the Phantom was discontinued four years ago. If they ever did build a new bus starting from what worked in the past would be a better option.

Gillig is kinda due for a new model soon. The Advantage came out in late 1998 IIRC. Rumor has it that they might be working on an Artic model, but I don't know if thats true or not.

If they come out with an artic, NF and NABI are gonna suffer big. Many small TAs go with Gillig for 40-footers and NF or sometimes NABI (now Nova too) for artics.

If they come out with an artic, NF and NABI are gonna suffer big. Many small TAs go with Gillig for 40-footers and NF or sometimes NABI (now Nova too) for artics.

That's true, but I doubt they would offer their artics (if built) to big cities right away. They would probably start with mid-size systems like Bee-Lines or do I dare say NICE (not likely)? So, in the sort term, no. In the long term however, guys like Nova and NABI will suffer and New Flyer would really have it's first main rival since Orion.

That's true, but I doubt they would offer their artics (if built) to big cities right away. They would probably start with mid-size systems like Bee-Lines or do I dare say NICE (not likely)? So, in the sort term, no. In the long term however, guys like Nova and NABI will suffer and New Flyer would really have it's first main rival since Orion.

Archived