New York drivers face epic lines in severe post-Sandy gas shortage

Harry

Lines for gas stations here in northeastern Queens are stretching several blocks, sometimes more than mile, and some are for gas stations that aren't even open. The people want to be the first to get gas when a delivery comes, and they're not even sure when that is.

Lines for gas stations here in northeastern Queens are stretching several blocks, sometimes more than mile, and some are for gas stations that aren't even open. The people want to be the first to get gas when a delivery comes, and they're not even sure when that is.

This is crazy. Not only are people waiting hours to fuel up but they're waiting at gas stations that aren't open. This is one time in my life that i am happy i dont own a car.

You bought $103 worth of gas Dan? Oh man. Since when does a sedan hold 23 gallons of gas?

Seeing that that is a BMW 740il, which I would assume has a V8 motor, that car should have about a 22 gallon capacity tank with probably 1-2 gallon on reserve and maybe another gallon through the fuel lines. Adding all that up, that specific model with the 750il should be able to carry 25 gallons at the most.

I'd say most of the bigger motor cars do carry a 20+ gallon fuel tank. My previous car, the Lincoln LS held about 18-19 gallons full. My future Audi A8 holds about 22 gallons I believe as well.

At least you learned for next time cause there will always been people that never learn from their mistakes. When I storm comes or even in general you should always have extra fuel, candals, canned/dry food, batteries, flashlight, bottled water , fully stocked first aid kit and extra blankets.

Only issue is that now next time a major possible blizzard or later next summer/early fall a poential hurricane may hit, people will now do the 360 degrees and overreact and panic.

And guys welcome back to the 1970's (sadly without the great music/disco era, tv shows and movies)with these gas shortages. :o

I filled up on gasoline containers I had before the storm figuring that we would need it for a generator given the power would probably go out during Sandy. We didn't have to use the generator as much as we thought and I have 7 gallons in gasoline in containers. I can put that in my car since the power shouldn't go out again, but it certainly doesn't fill up the tank.

Only issue is that now next time a major possible blizzard or later next summer/early fall a poential hurricane may hit, people will now do the 360 degrees and overreact and panic.

And guys welcome back to the 1970's (sadly without the great music/disco era, tv shows and movies)with these gas shortages. :o

Rather them overreact and panic and stocked up on supplies and evacuate then stay and be sorry.

I'd say most of the bigger motor cars do carry a 20+ gallon fuel tank. My previous car, the Lincoln LS held about 18-19 gallons full. My future Audi A8 holds about 22 gallons I believe as well.

Well, when you've got a guzzler...you kinda need it.

My four banger has a 17 gallon tank. I fill up, drive 100 miles, and the needle barely moves.

Filled up today at a BP in Great Neck, no line, had all types of gas, and accepted cash and credit. I say the gas crisis is over.

Is that the one on the corner of Great Neck Road and Bayview Ave? He had no gas for most of last week, the Getty near there I remember last friday getting up at 8am and driving there and I only waited like 20 minutes for gas.

If only there were fuel-efficient GAS engines that also packed plenty of punch. I know turbodiesels get great MPG but they're still hard as hell to start in the cold.

Still, why didn't the people with the hybrids and whatnot fill up beforehand? That 40 MPG means diddly squat when there's nothing in the tank.

Seeing that that is a BMW 740il, which I would assume has a V8 motor, that car should have about a 22 gallon capacity tank with probably 1-2 gallon on reserve and maybe another gallon through the fuel lines. Adding all that up, that specific model with the 750il should be able to carry 25 gallons at the most.

I must of burned all the reserve because I was stalling out on line that day. I just made it to the pump when it died. So I must of filled up a completly empty tank.

If only there were fuel-efficient GAS engines that also packed plenty of punch. I know turbodiesels get great MPG but they're still hard as hell to start in the cold.

I used to buy into the whole "diesels don't start in the cold" myth, until I saw first-hand that they do indeed start in the cold.

Gasoline/petrol engines are pretty inefficient. Even GDI systems only achieve an efficiency of 35-40%.

Archived