The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

must be on the job past probation to be CBTC.

How would you guys define "Track Indication Signal" because in the induction book/rule book, signal guide and TSS I have 3 different worded definition

Induction book / Rule Book: =  "A home indication signal which when clear displays the track for which a train is being routed"

TSS =  "Proceed with caution on the track indicated by the illuminated number, be prepared to stop with 1/2 range of vision expecting to find the track occupied

Signal Guide = "Proceed with restricted speed and extreme caution on the track indicated by the illuminated number"

as long as your answer is written somewhere official like an updated signal guide given to you by Service Delivery and/or more importantly the rule book, you WILL NOT fail the signal exam

The funny thing is, I still haven't seen one of those track indication signals lol

239 yard entering on the lead, 408 ball will tell you which lead you're going to. Leaving Mosholu has one. Entering East 180th Yard from the north too. Entering Livonia Yard is one too. You won't see many on the IRT mainline...only one that comes to mind off the top of my head is at the north end of 14th St. on 2 track on Broadway, which will tell you when you're turning there if you're being crossed to 3 track or 4.

Tommy John, for track indication signal just give the definition for a yard indication signal (it's the same). Then add at the end, "Signal also indicates the train will be going to track ##"

Also the reason I posted the D GT10 in this thread, is that's one of a few signals that ONLY appears in the rule book. So you can use the induction manual, signal guide, or even the unofficial flashcards (if your class gets them) to study, but make SURE you review the rulebook regardless (make sure you don't miss ANY signals), and make SURE every definition you write can match either the rule book, induction book, or signal guide.

Edited by SubwayGuy

239 yard entering on the lead, 408 ball will tell you which lead you're going to. Leaving Mosholu has one. Entering East 180th Yard from the north too. Entering Livonia Yard is one too. You won't see many on the IRT mainline...only one that comes to mind off the top of my head is at the north end of 14th St. on 2 track on Broadway, which will tell you when you're turning there if you're being crossed to 3 track or 4.

I think you're referring to 804 at 239. BTW that signal in relations to track indication is a piece of junk. Signals dept has not maintained the indication display at all.

I have my first practical coming up and not going to lie I am a bit nervous.  I have been studying my notes everyday, past all my quizzes but what really counts now is the 1st practical.  I am an old fart (lol) so I might not be as quick as someone younger but hope someone can share any words of wisdom.  The practical for cuts/adds could be on any trains that we learned so far right ? (R32/42, R46, R68, R160), in addition to reading the iron, track questions(parts of a track) and reading signals (low home, marker, standard home signal) ? Thank you. 

I have my first practical coming up and not going to lie I am a bit nervous.  I have been studying my notes everyday, past all my quizzes but what really counts now is the 1st practical.  I am an old fart (lol) so I might not be as quick as someone younger but hope someone can share any words of wisdom.  The practical for cuts/adds could be on any trains that we learned so far right ? (R32/42, R46, R68, R160), in addition to reading the iron, track questions(parts of a track) and reading signals (low home, marker, standard home signal) ? Thank you. 

Just take your time. Remember just to go in a sequence. Or in a certain order. Dont jump around all over the train. Also, when at home pretend your doin your practical on a train . good luck.

All fair game.

-Do everything in the proper order

-Be thorough, take your time, and have a process for how you "OK the train" - you should not be all over the place when OKing it, and if you are, it means you're that much more likely to miss something.

-If you can't handle the silence while you are being watched, it is OK to talk to the person evaluating you...tell them what you are doing, what you are looking for, if everything you observe is correct or needs to be fixed, and how you'd correct it. This will ensure they are comfortable with you. If you just stumble through the car touching things without saying anything, they'll probably ask more questions than if you clearly communicate in a way that indicates you know what you are doing.

-If by some chance you do miss something, and something else is off...catch your mistake, go back, and find it. Think through what could have gone wrong logically to find the problem, don't go on a wild goose chase.

And most important:-

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOVE THAT TRAIN WITH A HANDBRAKE ON...this is auto fail.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MAKE A CUT AND YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN DOWN THE SAFETY CHAINS/BARRIER SPRINGS...also auto fail.

Hey it's ok to be a bit nervous it can help you focus better. As Subway Guy said take your time go over the steps In the right order and you should do ok. Just watch those chains if you are doing cuts with SMEE trains in this weather the important thing us to make sure those flaps are both shown in the coupler. (You can hear them unlock)Sometimes cold weather such as this makes cuts difficult. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys as always for the advice. My practical is at Jamaica yard matter of fact.  I will memorize the steps verbatim and play it out in my mind over and over again.  I will try my best for my old brain not to freeze up during the test. lol.  SubwayGuy, glad you mentioned those 2 auto fails because our TSS mentioned that for some reason students always do these 2 mistakes specifically.  Much respect to everyone here.

One more question on the 1st practical (sorry to be a nuisance), the cutting/adding, once I cut do I actually move the train to a different track and add to a new set of cars or is the cutting/adding is like how we do it in practice ? (cut, move 1 foot away, put reverser in forward then make the add).

Hope your first practical goes well. As everyone said before, do it step by step just as you've been practicing with your class. Remember to check all BCO and if you find one cut out, radio yard dispatcher-for the practical you'll just tell the superintendent or tss how you would call it in. And you should be prepared to read the iron and give a couple of signal definitions. You'll do just fine.

Btw, took y'all 5 weeks to get the signal guide?! That is insane!!!! We had the guide and was going over signals everyday once we left PS 248.

This has been answered a few times already, but I'd suggest writing signal definitions verbatim. Can't go wrong if what you write is what's in the book. And RSEC-write the whole thing!!

Congratulations to the 1/28/13 induction class of Train operators both A and B Division who made it to the end of probation, may you continued to succeed in your transit career.  It wasn't easy but to those of us who made it  good luck.   P.S.  No more high lights over our names :ph34r: lol

EVERYONE who has done their practicals is nervous, and if they say no, they are lying. Nervousness can work to your advantage though. It makes you focus and concentrate on what you have to do and you will be surprised at how good you do it. I will be there with you in spirit. Good Luck.