Hoodlum lights

jgood6195

This trend is alittle different from the +SBS + lights one for this is about regular buses. Is the MTA officially done with these outside of Select bus service or what?

I believe they are done with the hoodlum lights for the most part. Any new orders with them would be the artics with +SBS+ lights in them as far as I know.

Its like a silent alarm on the buses...the lights would flash and the sign would say "EMERGENCY CALL POLICE". The Luminator would still say the regular display you had before you hit the switch.

...its pretty much used when you have an emergency on the bus (ie: hostage situation)

They used to be pretty good about responding to it...I was on an M2 a while back with the Call Police signs up and the hoodlum lights flashing, got pulled over by a police car after a few stops and the op explained that the switch was stuck in the on position.

They used to be pretty good about responding to it...I was on an M2 a while back with the Call Police signs up and the hoodlum lights flashing, got pulled over by a police car after a few stops and the op explained that the switch was stuck in the on position.

Sometimes drivers hit it by mistake and not even realize it since its so close to the hi-beam switch on the floor

Cabs have a similar system, but I never see cops ever respond to cabs with the light flashing, either. I thnk with cell phones and such the systems are considered antiquated.

with that emergancy switch, the perp wont see if the driver presses it, the perp is likely to see the driver on the phone calling for help

with that emergancy switch, the perp wont see if the driver presses it, the perp is likely to see the driver on the phone calling for help

I disagree. I think those cabbies are resourceful enough to hit 9-1-1 on their cells (which they often have out even though it is illegal) and let the dispatcher figure out what is going on from what she hears and use the cell's GPS signal to track the cab. The partition and such offer enough space to subtly do it. B/O's don't really have the same luxury because of the way the cockpit is laid out.

Does that cause all of the other lights (i.e. the ones on the top) to flash too? Cause I saw an M10 once with all of the top light's flashing, but with a regular destination sign.

That's a sign saying the regeneration system is off. With the hoodlum lights (I call it the forehead lights lol), the orange lights would flash, plus the brake lights in the back would flash when the brake isn't on

Archived