Grand Concourse, Bronx

Via Garibaldi 8

What I'm laughing at is, once upon a time (say, years back), you had your hardcore "express bus haters" on these transit boards (plural) that wanted all of them gone..... Now the recent trend on this particular forum from a select few is to suggest/hint towards turning certain express bus routes into something that they're not..... Some would say that's progress, I would beg to differ......

Everything "commuter" shouldn't only be handled by rail travel..... Our state neighbors to the west (NJ) seem to get this message quite well (for differing reasons, but still), while you have those here in NYC, NY have long had people (and not just on forums either... those adamantly voicing their opinions on how express buses are wasteful, this that & the third) minimizing the importance of the commuter bus.....

I can't think of any other city where the express bus (or some city's equivalent to one) is so, hated (for lack of a better term).....

Reason express buses are hated in NYC is because there so expensive to run, and the TA is broke, keep raising fares, etc. Not to mention the cost per passenger on express buses is really high.

If the TA was doing well financially, or raise the EXPRESS BUS FARE so high to the point it wouldn't be expensive to run, or a private operator would operate the express routes (Like how Atlantic Express does with the X23/24) no one would hate on them.

I mean, they cut the (W) train but the BMs gets to keep its off peak service? <_<

Also in other cities it seems like their "express buses" are rush hour only, and they use transit buses on the express routes when necessary, last summer leaving DC I seen a New Flyer LFR bus with suburban seats heading to DC pass the Pater Pan bus I was on.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reason express buses are hated in NYC is because there so expensive to run, and the TA is broke, keep raising fares, etc. Not to mention the cost per passenger on express buses is really high.

If the TA was doing well financially, or raise the EXPRESS BUS FARE so high to the point it wouldn't be expensive to run, or a private operator would operate the express routes (Like how Atlantic Express does with the X23/24) no one would hate on them.

I mean, they cut the (W) train but the BMs gets to keep its off peak service? <_<

Also in other cities it seems like their "express buses" are rush hour only, and they use transit buses on the express routes when necessary, last summer leaving DC I seen a New Flyer LFR bus with suburban seats heading to DC pass the Pater Pan bus I was on.

What a lame excuse... In case you haven't noticed there is barely any off peak service left. They've cut at least 10 runs or more on each of the BM express bus routes.  That's about a good 40 runs cut, so you clearly have no clue of what you're talking about as there is pretty much just about nothing left to cut without leaving people stranded. Those people need to get around just like everyone else and the cost to build railways to those areas would be much more expensive than the meager express bus service they get, something you either refuse to accept or want to overlook.  

The reason the city supplements the express buses the way they do is because they know that they would be discriminating against those communities by not providing adequate transportation the way the rest of the city gets.  

Also using a private operator isn't the answer either because the service is poor and they don't operate for free.  Atlantic Express still has to be compensated.  

And this kick about using express buses for local bus service.  Not a big deal at all. What's important is that the (MTA) gets full use out of those buses so if their life expectancy is 12 years and the buses are used for 12 years why is it so important that it's used on local buses as well?  Just because other transportation systems use "X" doesn't mean that works for the (MTA) and they made the switch years ago to accommodate express bus service better.

You keep complaining about the (MTA) being in bad shape.  You want to can express bus service, great.  Put out the money to build rail systems and see how much that costs and then get back to me.

Your logic of having express buses on local buses is like saying why don't we use artics on all local bus routes, when there is no need to do so.  <_<

What a lame excuse... In case you haven't noticed there is barely any off peak service left. They've cut at least 10 runs or more on each of the BM express bus routes.  That's about a good 40 runs cut, so you clearly have no clue of what you're talking about as there is pretty much just about nothing left to cut without leaving people stranded. Those people need to get around just like everyone else and the cost to build railways to those areas would be much more expensive than the meager express bus service they get, something you either refuse to accept or want to overlook.  

The reason the city supplements the express buses the way they do is because they know that they would be discriminating against those communities by not providing adequate transportation the way the rest of the city gets.  

Also using a private operator isn't the answer either because the service is poor and they don't operate for free.  Atlantic Express still has to be compensated.  

And this kick about using express buses for local bus service.  Not a big deal at all. What's important is that the (MTA) gets full use out of those buses so if their life expectancy is 12 years and the buses are used for 12 years why is it so important that it's used on local buses as well?  Just because other transportation systems use "X" doesn't mean that works for the (MTA) and they made the switch years ago to accommodate express bus service better.

You keep complaining about the (MTA) being in bad shape.  You want to can express bus service, great.  Put out the money to build rail systems and see how much that costs and then get back to me.

Your logic of having express buses on local buses is like saying why don't we use artics on all local bus routes, when there is no need to do so.  <_<

Nice to hear they cut some express runs :D

And those people won't be stranded as there's the local bus and the subway.

Discriminating? the people who live in South Jamaica and the neighborhoods east of there don't have off peak express bus service and they aren't complaining or asking for additional express bus service to my knowledge. Same goes for the people who live along the QM24/25 route.

And I never said to use the transit buses on the local routes in addition to the express routes, All the PBL lines that operated both local and express routes had transit buses on express routes (The MCI classics to be exact) and AFAIK they wasn't running on the local routes, yea, GL had a small batch of MCI classics with transit seats & back door, but the others were single door suburbans. same goes for UP when they actually ran RTS on the express routes, I NEVER seen one on the B6 or any UP local route until those RTS got retired from express service and they basically became hand me down local buses.

Nice to hear they cut some express runs :D

And those people won't be stranded as there's the local bus and the subway.

Discriminating? the people who live in South Jamaica and the neighborhoods east of there don't have off peak express bus service and they aren't complaining or asking for additional express bus service to my knowledge. Same goes for the people who live along the QM24/25 route.

And I never said to use the transit buses on the local routes in addition to the express routes, All the PBL lines that operated both local and express routes had transit buses on express routes (The MCI classics to be exact) and AFAIK they wasn't running on the local routes, yea, GL had a small batch of MCI classics with transit seats & back door, but the others were single door suburbans. same goes for UP when they actually ran RTS on the express routes, I NEVER seen one on the B6 or any UP local route until those RTS got retired from express service and they basically became hand me down local buses.

Yes right there's always the local bus and subway but you like to leave out how inconvenient those options are for neighborhoods that are far out or that lack good transit.  There's a difference between transit and good transit.  You can't just say well whoever has subway service nearby great and tell the rest of the communities to screw off because not everyone can live in the same place and if transportation is not good, those neighborhoods will suffer.  Co-Op City technically has a subway nearby in the (6), but look how many people use the express bus.  Why? Because it's far more convenient and quicker.  The more connections you have to make the longer and the more painful the commute becomes.

Yorkville which is in Manhattan has always suffered because of its perceived transportation problem because of the distance of the nearest subway. IF and when the SAS is completed surely housing values should increase, but that just proves my point. That's an area with bus service, but it's a pain to get to the subway and ultimately, you can't just focus on the neighborhoods with decent transit because the idea is for the city as a whole to be economically viable. Having pockets of areas with good transit and areas with poor transit options creates an economic imbalance.

err hell no one in Manhattan local buses do that job just fine. 2 no Woodhaven bus other than bm5 goes to spring creek at all. Not gonna lie I looked over the QM22 that bus only had 1 3rd ave round trip and one 6th ave it should never have been cut maybe the 6th ave bus could have been canned but not the 3rd ave it had 61 riders that is a full bus. The open door bm5 only applies to those in spring creek going to woodhaven. You pay $2.50 to woodhaven but $6 to Manhattan. It can be done via farebox machines in Brooklyn at Manhattan bound stops only. Since Manhattan people pay full anyway. Southbound Woodhaven to brooklyn pay $2.50 driver can push a button to enforce it however I think a local bus may be better for that like Q112 to spring creek with bm5 completely closed door. However cutting the bxm4 completely may prove difficult if my theory about peak use is true. now it barely has any off peak service left. Evening bm5 service got cut back too.

61 riders per bus is more than full. (An MCI can only seat 57). Multiply that by 4 trips and you get 244. I think you mean to divide by 2 (to account for both directions), which is around 30-31 riders per bus. Still a respectable amount, though.

In any case, the thing is that you have to figure out a way from people using it for intra-Woodhaven travel. If somebody gets on along Woodhaven (southbound), you don't know if they're using it to get to say, Ozone Park, or if they're actually using it to get to Spring Creek.

Everything "commuter" shouldn't only be handled by rail travel..... Our state neighbors to the west (NJ) seem to get this message quite well (for differing reasons, but still), while you have those here in NYC, NY have long had people (and not just on forums either... those adamantly voicing their opinions on how express buses are wasteful, this that & the third) minimizing the importance of the commuter bus.....

Aren't most NJT express buses open-door, though.

The problem with rush hour only routes is that you have a lot of deadheading, which increases costs significantly. Of course, there's still deadheading on our current express routes, but it's less than there would be if they were rush hours only.

61 riders per bus is more than full. (An MCI can only seat 57). Multiply that by 4 trips and you get 244. I think you mean to divide by 2 (to account for both directions), which is around 30-31 riders per bus. Still a respectable amount, though.

In any case, the thing is that you have to figure out a way from people using it for intra-Woodhaven travel. If somebody gets on along Woodhaven (southbound), you don't know if they're using it to get to say, Ozone Park, or if they're actually using it to get to Spring Creek.

The problem with rush hour only routes is that you have a lot of deadheading, which increases costs significantly. Of course, there's still deadheading on our current express routes, but it's less than there would be if they were rush hours only.

MTA and NJT store there express buses in or somewhere close to the city during the midday. Yea, some deadhead back to their depots but a good portion of them stay in the city.

exactly many njt so called express buses actually have a good percentage of riders who use them as locals example 114 & 113 167 ect all have high local and ny bound ridership. My NJT plan is just massive scale decentralizaion and consolidation of the bus network when I looked up employment sites I realized that my final draft as better than I thought.  

Yes right there's always the local bus and subway but you like to leave out how inconvenient those options are for neighborhoods that are far out or that lack good transit.  There's a difference between transit and good transit.  You can't just say well whoever has subway service nearby great and tell the rest of the communities to screw off because not everyone can live in the same place and if transportation is not good, those neighborhoods will suffer.  Co-Op City technically has a subway nearby in the (6), but look how many people use the express bus.  Why? Because it's far more convenient and quicker.  The more connections you have to make the longer and the more painful the commute becomes.

Yorkville which is in Manhattan has always suffered because of its perceived transportation problem because of the distance of the nearest subway. IF and when the SAS is completed surely housing values should increase, but that just proves my point. That's an area with bus service, but it's a pain to get to the subway and ultimately, you can't just focus on the neighborhoods with decent transit because the idea is for the city as a whole to be economically viable. Having pockets of areas with good transit and areas with poor transit options creates an economic imbalance.

It is clear to me this guy hasn't used the bxm9 or staten Island express lines otherwise he would realize their importance.

Did you ever take the BxM4 or are you just basing you're points from a piece of paper...

a few times and made some observations I even spotted empty or half empty bronx bound PM trips while I was at 149th street. 

Dude dc has several full-time express buses examples: 5A , B30 they even studied upgrading the J7/9 to full time. Mta maryland's 201 is full time as well as ride-on's 100 & several fairfax connector routes as well. FYI MTA MD's commuters are all coach buses sadly only the 201 is 7 days a week the rest are useless to those who want to visit many tourist attractions around Maryland their regional network is HORRID!!! DON'T dare compare nyc tri state to them. You want a bus to cut look at my past posts. Look at northern blvd and others qm 18 can merge actually. Since the van wyck blows cocks and Lefferts is quicker. Not all BMs deserved to get butchered if MTA was truly serious about finances the BMs would have been last to get butchered and BM1 would have been untouched. And a few buses in the bottom 30 would have been axed or reduced. A certain bxm line would becrush only by now.

I get that; I wasn't asking why the hatred of express buses is apparent to those that do.... Over the years, I've probably seen just about every argument under the sun from the ppl. that do, as to why they do - Everything you stated in this post, included..... Also, including the suggestion of raising fares to (try to) make them commensurate w/ operating costs.....

I said commuter routes.....

- In NYC, express buses (which you know are closed door operations) are our commuter routes....

- In NJ, they have open door & [closed door (or, direct point-to-point, if you wanna look at it that way)] commuter routes....

The majority of their commuter routes are open-door.....

I get that; I wasn't asking why the hatred of express buses is apparent to those that do.... Over the years, I've probably seen just about every argument under the sun from the ppl. that do, as to why they do - Everything you stated in this post, included..... Also, including the suggestion of raising fares to (try to) make them commensurate w/ operating costs.....

I said commuter routes.....

- In NYC, express buses (which you know are closed door operations) are our commuter routes....

- In NJ, they have open door & [closed door (or, direct point-to-point, if you wanna look at it that way)] commuter routes....

The majority of their commuter routes are open-door.....

New Jersey can get away with open door commuter buses because in most cases where the buses are located, there is no other viable option since they don't have any true subways aside from NJPATH. In the city however, the express bus as you know in a way functions like a subway and usually you can take a local bus to reach a subway even though it isn't the most convenient.  Take the BxM1 for example along Lex.  Its stops mirror that of the (6) local train more or less. It makes just 9 stops in the city and they're almost identical to the local line.  Quite frankly whoever came up with the creation of the express bus set up in the city got it right because they understand the importance of keeping the bus moving. Part of the reason local buses are slow is slow boarding and when you get people on and off quickly the bus becomes much more attractive.  There have been sometimes that I've gotten to the city all the way down to 34th street in 30 - 35 minutes and I have to do a double take because when there is no traffic and no one is getting off, that bus doesn't have to stop.  That's the disadvantage of open door express buses and why I often feel as if trips on NJ's express buses seem to take FOREVER.  <_<

exactly many njt so called express buses actually have a good percentage of riders who use them as locals example 114 & 113 167 ect all have high local and ny bound ridership. My NJT plan is just massive scale decentralizaion and consolidation of the bus network when I looked up employment sites I realized that my final draft as better than I thought.    It is clear to me this guy hasn't used the bxm9 or staten Island express lines otherwise he would realize their importance.  a few times and made some observations I even spotted empty or half empty bronx bound PM trips while I was at 149th street.  Dude dc has several full-time express buses examples: 5A , B30 they even studied upgrading the J7/9 to full time. Mta maryland's 201 is full time as well as ride-on's 100 & several fairfax connector routes as well. FYI MTA MD's commuters are all coach buses sadly only the 201 is 7 days a week the rest are useless to those who want to visit many tourist attractions around Maryland their regional network is HORRID!!! DON'T dare compare nyc tri state to them. You want a bus to cut look at my past posts. Look at northern blvd and others qm 18 can merge actually. Since the van wyck blows cocks and Lefferts is quicker. Not all BMs deserved to get butchered if MTA was truly serious about finances the BMs would have been last to get butchered and BM1 would have been untouched. And a few buses in the bottom 30 would have been axed or reduced. A certain bxm line would becrush only by now.

I ridden Staten Island Express buses plenty of times, via NJ ones, via FDR ones, X1, X10, X17, etc I ridden them, never ridden the BXM9 though.

As for your paragraph, reason I mentioned DC I was just mentioning that they use transit buses on their express routes.

MTA and NJT store there express buses in or somewhere close to the city during the midday. Yea, some deadhead back to their depots but a good portion of them stay in the city.

Quill, Tuskegee, a lot that's near 126...

New Jersey can get away with open door commuter buses because in most cases where the buses are located, there is no other viable option since they don't have any true subways aside from NJPATH. In the city however, the express bus as you know in a way functions like a subway and usually you can take a local bus to reach a subway even though it isn't the most convenient.  Take the BxM1 for example along Lex.  Its stops mirror that of the (6) local train more or less. It makes just 9 stops in the city and they're almost identical to the local line.  Quite frankly whoever came up with the creation of the express bus set up in the city got it right because they understand the importance of keeping the bus moving. Part of the reason local buses are slow is slow boarding and when you get people on and off quickly the bus becomes much more attractive.  There have been sometimes that I've gotten to the city all the way down to 34th street in 30 - 35 minutes and I have to do a double take because when there is no traffic and no one is getting off, that bus doesn't have to stop.  That's the disadvantage of open door express buses and why I often feel as if trips on NJ's express buses seem to take FOREVER.  <_<

Not all NJT NY bound buses are EXPRESS. Some are actually like local and express buses merged example 114 and 113 and 190. If you want speed you can take the train as those buses also do make timed connections with NJT trains at several stations. I remember missing a NY bound 114 instead of waiting for the next one I took a bridgewater bound 114 to plainfield for the RVL train which came 8 mins later after the bus left that station I ended up saving an hour in travel time by eliminating an hour long wait altogether and it was about just as fast as if I had caught that 114 to NYC. In NJ you have to improvise and be ready for almost anything. If your in patterson and want speed you can take the train to sec for NY service usually the wait is only 3 mins between trains. If you are in say rutherford your better off with the 190.

I ridden Staten Island Express buses plenty of times, via NJ ones, via FDR ones, X1, X10, X17, etc I ridden them, never ridden the BXM9 though.

As for your paragraph, reason I mentioned DC I was just mentioning that they use transit buses on their express routes.

That only involves WMATA and the local area expresses they are more like LTDs than express buses cause they use the highway for a short but quick segment. Prince william and loudoun county express buses are all coaches. Except the bus to rail lines that is. Most of those expresses stay within the WMATA service area of fairfax county or prince george and montgomery counties. With only the B30 actually going beyond the service area. If it were up to me WMATA's express lines would run beyond rush hour well at least a few more than now at least and a few like 87/89 extend deeper into howard county with the horrid expensive rip-offs that are connect-a rides replaced and obliterated with most being merged with short WMATA lines or MTA MD's 150 line and some commuter buses. Even at rush hour those shit lines are hourly.

I used the BxM4 last night.  Going we had a half full bus.  Mainly women and some seemed to be going to Woodlawn but we had a few that got off along the Concourse. The stop at 161st was rather ghetto looking as in the vibe.  Housing stock looks somewhat better as you reach 165th street and go past that but once it got dark out I was sure to keep an eye on my surroundings. There seems to be mixture of folks living there but I saw a lot of Black folks which was surprising.  I thought the Concourse was mainly Latinos.  

Going back there were three of us... One guy from Woodlawn and another guy who gets on along the Concourse. One of my regulars picked me up so I had no issue getting the bus.  :D

I used the BxM4 last night.  Going we had a half full bus.  Mainly women and some seemed to be going to Woodlawn but we had a few that got off along the Concourse. The stop at 161st was rather ghetto looking as in the vibe.  Housing stock looks somewhat better as you reach 165th street and go past that but once it got dark out I was sure to keep an eye on my surroundings. There seems to be mixture of folks living there but I saw a lot of Black folks which was surprising.  I thought the Concourse was mainly Latinos.  

Going back there were three of us... One guy from Woodlawn and another guy who gets on along the Concourse. One of my regulars picked me up so I had no issue getting the bus.  :D

What time did you take it? I knew the concourse stops were borderline useless!!!! About post in bold TOLD YOU!!!!

based on underline Knew it I knew it's ridership was mostly peak hours. I had a feeling that line was mostly women.

What time did you take it? I knew the concourse stops were borderline useless!!!! About post in bold TOLD YOU!!!!

based on underline Knew it I knew it's ridership was mostly peak hours. I had a feeling that line was mostly women.

It was one of the last few runs so I wasn't exactly shocked.   Sometimes express buses can get a nice loads going to the city at night and sometimes they're lightly used.  The BxM4 itself didn't have tons of minorities.  There were a sizable amount of whites on it.  It was the Concourse itself that seemed to have a lot of black folks.

It was one of the last few runs so I wasn't exactly shocked.   Sometimes express buses can get a nice loads going to the city at night and sometimes they're lightly used.  The BxM4 itself didn't have tons of minorities.  There were a sizable amount of whites on it.  It was the Concourse itself that seemed to have a lot of black folks.

I see but those stops barely carry at all. True even bxm11 is like that a few times. Why is bxm4 more lightly used than any other line with service at night?

This is what happens when you jump to conclusions....

He said:

"There seems to be mixture of folks living there but I saw a lot of Black folks which was surprising.  I thought the Concourse was mainly Latinos."

He said LIVING THERE, not the amount of black folks on the BxM4......

There seems to be mixture of folks living there but I saw a lot of Black folks which was surprising.  I thought the Concourse was mainly Latinos.  
It was the Concourse itself that seemed to have a lot of black folks.

Yeah, the more southern part of grand concourse (melrose & concourse [the neighborhood]), you'll notice more of a mixture of blacks & hispanics about the area....The more north you go on grand concourse from that point, the more hispanic it gets....

The northern part of grand concourse (north of like fordham rd) you'll start noticing much less blacks (than what you would see in the southern part) and more whites up there..... still dominantly hispanic though....

Don't have to take my word for it though.... The (D) train is a perfect indicator of all this (as well as the Bx1/2).....

---------------------

edit... what is up with these extra carriage returns above quoted posts.....

Yeah, the more southern part of grand concourse (melrose & concourse [the neighborhood]), you'll notice more of a mixture of blacks & hispanics about the area....The more north you go on grand concourse from that point, the more hispanic it gets....

The northern part of grand concourse (north of like fordham rd) you'll start noticing much less blacks (than what you would see in the southern part) and more whites up there..... still dominantly hispanic though....

Don't have to take my word for it though.... The (D) train is a perfect indicator of all this (as well as the Bx1/2).....

---------------------

edit... what is up with these extra carriage returns above quoted posts.....

my bad then it means no Woodlawn riders were on it. How are stops used on brainbridge?

interesting. Why did mta kill the super express trips? Why not convert more trips to superexpress?

The super express BxM4b trips didn't serve Bainbridge.... it only served the stops along 233rd & along Katonah....

Anyway, it was a cost-saving/cutting measure.... That way, they had more riders/bus....

It was the same reason they combined the old BxM7b with the BxM7a (now called the BxM8).....

I can confirm this... You've pretty much summed up the Concourse here...

Archived