Grand Concourse, Bronx

Via Garibaldi 8

I have some business to take care of along the Grand Concourse in the Yankee's Stadium area and was wondering is the Grand Concourse safe in the day AND at night since I may be going during various parts of the day? I would like to use the BxM4 express bus to get there from the city, as I think the MetroNorth stop is too far of a walk and too far off of the main path.  I am asking because I've been to the new Yankees Stadium and went via car and found some areas to be sketchy but the immediate area by Yankees' Stadium seemed tolerable. However I've never been on the Grand Concourse before. If it's too sketchy then I change things up and go to the city instead or in Riverdale.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just go there...nothing to be scared of...as long as your minding your business no ones gonna mess with you.

And your going during the day...it might feel scary at night but dont worry

LOL... I have to ask because I've heard of people being targets that use the express bus in certain areas and I was wondering if this occurs along the Concourse...  Seeing that I've never been before I'd like to be as prepared as possible.

Don't make a scene, mind your own business and don't make yourself seem..vulnerable.  Key rules in any unfamiliar neighborhood if you ask me.

Oh I know all of that but I also wanted to know if there is anything in particular that I should know.  I've been in plenty of sketchy areas before, but nevertheless the Bronx IMO is a whole different ballgame.  In Brooklyn there are plenty of them and I'm not phased by them because I'm a Brooklynite, but the Bronx is new territory. It has a flavor of its own and quite frankly I feel as if the bad parts are REALLY bad.  When we went to Yankees' Stadium everyone sort of filed out quickly either to the parking lot or the train station as if to say let's not stick around here.  It was quite interesting to watch. 

LOL... I have to ask because I've heard of people being targets that use the express bus in certain areas and I was wondering if this occurs along the Concourse...  Seeing that I've never been before I'd like to be as prepared as possible.

I don't know about targets per se, but I have seen people been given *the look* while waiting for an inbound Bxm4 over there by fordham rd....

Last time I went up there to the fordham rd stores w/ acquaintances, we had this funny dude ask "ayo, where that bus go" (because he, well, we, saw this latina [I'll admit was fine as Hell] board the BxM4 there)... (I) told him manhattan, 5.50 (at the time).... He then went on a nzzzz BS rant (I call it) about people being stupid for paying for that, when the 2.25 for the subway & "regular" buses is high enough.... Icing on the cake was when the Bx2 came & he hopped the back of that shit :lol:

As far as your original question..... I won't give you any cliche answers, but all I'm gonna say at this point is, don't be fooled by how they fixed up the area around kilmer park (GC/161st).... During the day, you'll have your regular nuts/drunkards walking around 161st/GC, but I personally see them as being no harm.... Never been in that area at night (on foot anyway), so I can't say.....

I don't know about targets per se, but I have seen people been given *the look* while waiting for an inbound Bxm4 over there by fordham rd....

Last time I went up there to the fordham rd stores w/ acquaintances, we had this funny dude ask "ayo, where that bus go" (because he, well, we, saw this latina [I'll admit was fine as Hell] board the BxM4 there)... (I) told him manhattan, 5.50 (at the time).... He then went on a nzzzz BS rant (I call it) about people being stupid for paying for that, when the 2.25 for the subway & "regular" buses is high enough.... Icing on the cake was when the Bx2 came & he hopped the back of that shit :lol:

As far as your original question..... I won't give you any cliche answers, but all I'm gonna say at this point is, don't be fooled by how they fixed up the area around kilmer park (GC/161st).... During the day, you'll have your regular nuts/drunkards walking around 161st/GC, but I personally see them as being no harm.... Never been in that area at night (on foot anyway), so I can't say.....

Oh I'm not fooled at all...I heard it's supposed to be on the "up and up" but my street smarts say otherwise just checking out the area on Google maps... I also know about the *look* you're referring too... LOL

I'm not surprised by that situation with the BxM4.  It used to annoy the hell out of me on Staten Island.  You get off of the bus in a somewhat sketchy area and then immediately people start asking you for the time or trying to beg for money. It used to happen sometimes by Hylan and Clove.  I started getting off at Steuben and Hylan instead and getting car service elsewhere depending on the time of day and if it was cold or not because I don't feel like dealing with that so if I decide to go there, I'm going to try to pick and choose points in the day where I can track the bus and be on and off and keep it moving. The shorter the waits are the better for me.  

When it's cold out there's less BS because want to stay warm so then I'd get off at Hylan and tell them to have car service get me by that Chase bank that way I could wait in the warmth inside.  In the summertime though, you get off there and those local bus folks start looking you over.  I see it all of the time along Ocean when I'm on the BM3...  :lol:

Do they differentiate as to where the BxM4 stops at versus the local buses along the Concourse?  I'd be shooting for the stops around 161st to 165th.

This! LOL

This! LOL

Yep, I was crackin up moreso at the fact that he farebeated after talkin all that..... At least the MF-er was consistent with his rant.

Oh I'm not fooled at all...I heard it's supposed to be on the "up and up" but my street smarts say otherwise just checking out the area on Google maps... I also know about the *look* you're referring too... LOL

I'm not surprised by that situation with the BxM4.  It used to annoy the hell out of me on Staten Island.  You get off of the bus in a somewhat sketchy area and then immediately people start asking you for the time or trying to beg for money. It used to happen sometimes by Hylan and Clove.  I started getting off at Steuben and Hylan instead and getting car service elsewhere depending on the time of day and if it was cold or not because I don't feel like dealing with that so if I decide to go there, I'm going to try to pick and choose points in the day where I can track the bus and be on and off and keep it moving. The shorter the waits are the better for me.  

When it's cold out there's less BS because want to stay warm so then I'd get off at Hylan and tell them to have car service get me by that Chase bank that way I could wait in the warmth inside.  In the summertime though, you get off there and those local bus folks start looking you over.  I see it all of the time along Ocean when I'm on the BM3...  :lol:

Do they differentiate as to where the BxM4 stops at versus the local buses along the Concourse?  I'd be shooting for the stops around 161st to 165th.

Yeah, those funny looks is a reason why I don't get off over there at the E 18th/cortelyou stop as much as I used to (on the BM's).... I've been noticing a particular group of dudes w/ pit's & akita's on leashes over there as of late, which just screams trouble.... I don't wanna be bothered....

Lol @ begging for money... Because riding the express must mean you must be made of money.... I have enough for me to sustain a lifestyle I want to live.... I don't have enough to fix the community's problems unfortunately, not like it's my responsibility anyway... Call it rugged individualism or w/e you like.... lol....

* I'm not sure I understand your question though... If you're asking if the local buses & express bus share stops along GC, well yes.... I can't recall off-top any Bxm4 stop being separate from the local stops.... The 161st st stop is on the SE corner of 161st/GC... 165th stop is right there in front the bronx museum; I don't think it's on a corner though..... Heading back towards manhattan, the 165th stop is across the street.... there's no corresponding manhattan bound exp. stop at 161st though; you gotta walk down along GC along kilmer park (think it's 159th or 158th, not sure).....

There's no separate or distinct poles/waiting areas for the express... You will be waiting amongst local bus riders...

Remember that short convo we had in another thread about drivers bypassing stops.... Well you better be aware of that if you decide to take the BxM4, b/c that happens quite a bit along GC w/ drivers assuming that people want locals..... Get your flagging hand ready.

If you take the D train it'll leave you on River Avenue a few blocks from the Concourse.  As long you don't go "exploring" on the side streets you'll be alright.  158th-165th is pretty well kept on the Concourse along with Bedford Park - Mosholou Pkwy.

If you take the D train it'll leave you on River Avenue a few blocks from the Concourse.  As long you don't go "exploring" on the side streets you'll be alright.  158th-165th is pretty well kept on the Concourse along with Bedford Park - Mosholou Pkwy.

No subway... BxM4 since it's easier for me to get to the city and then back to Riverdale, plus it stops right on the Concourse which means no having to schlepp up the hills from the subway.  There is no way I would even consider taking the local bus in the Bronx.  Too painful of a commute and probably too ghetto from what you've mentioned about the Bx1/Bx2 not to mention the numerous transfers and I'm not up for the BS and aggravation.  I have the option of setting this up in the city but since the express bus is right there I figure I can just use that to and from the city and transfer to the Riverdale buses on the Upper East Side.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll be over there next week. 

Yep, I was crackin up moreso at the fact that he farebeated after talkin all that..... At least the MF-er was consistent with his rant.

Yeah, those funny looks is a reason why I don't get off over there at the E 18th/cortelyou stop as much as I used to (on the BM's).... I've been noticing a particular group of dudes w/ pit's & akita's on leashes over there as of late, which just screams trouble.... I don't wanna be bothered....

Lol @ begging for money... Because riding the express must mean you must be made of money.... I have enough for me to sustain a lifestyle I want to live.... I don't have enough to fix the community's problems unfortunately, not like it's my responsibility anyway... Call it rugged individualism or w/e you like.... lol....

* I'm not sure I understand your question though... If you're asking if the local buses & express bus share stops along GC, well yes.... I can't recall off-top any Bxm4 stop being separate from the local stops.... The 161st st stop is on the SE corner of 161st/GC... 165th stop is right there in front the bronx museum; I don't think it's on a corner though..... Heading back towards manhattan, the 165th stop is across the street.... there's no corresponding manhattan bound exp. stop at 161st though; you gotta walk down along GC along kilmer park (think it's 159th or 158th, not sure).....

There's no separate or distinct poles/waiting areas for the express... You will be waiting amongst local bus riders...

Remember that short convo we had in another thread about drivers bypassing stops.... Well you better be aware of that if you decide to take the BxM4, b/c that happens quite a bit along GC w/ drivers assuming that people want locals..... Get your flagging hand ready.

Sh*t...  <_< Well I had the same set up with the BxM10 in Morris Park but they seemed to realize that we wanted the bus and we didn't have to hail down the bus.  Could've been how we were dressed. We looked like city folks I suppose, but that's pretty annoying.  I don't mind sharing the stop, but they should have a separate area for us to get the bus.  Less chaos that way. In Riverdale, they never assume anything.   They just pull into the stop.  I never wave.  Not my cup of tea but a buddy of mine does the BxM2. I'll probably see him next week. He does runs on the BxM4 and he can tell me the deal along the Concourse.

Are you taking a Manhattan bound BxM1/BxM2 into the city to transfer to a Bronx bound BxM4?  I remember you doing (or at least talking about) some crazy setup like this for some other Bronx express bus a while back...

Are you taking a Manhattan bound BxM1/BxM2 into the city to transfer to a Bronx bound BxM4?  I remember you doing (or at least talking about) some crazy setup like this for some other Bronx express bus a while back...

No, I will be traveling directly from Manhattan to the Bronx. Coming back I will take the BxM4 to the city, probably make a stop, and eventually get the BxM1 or BxM2 depending on where I'm at in the city back to Riverdale. In any event, most of the Bronx is really a pain to commute to from Riverdale unless you're driving, hence why I don't go to those areas unless I'm commuting from Manhattan.  If I was coming from Riverdale directly, I would probably take the MetroNorth to 153rd street/Yankee Stadium stop which is pretty quick.

I have some business to take care of along the Grand Concourse in the Yankee's Stadium area and was wondering is the Grand Concourse safe in the day AND at night since I may be going during various parts of the day? I would like to use the BxM4 express bus to get there from the city, as I think the MetroNorth stop is too far of a walk and too far off of the main path.  I am asking because I've been to the new Yankees Stadium and went via car and found some areas to be sketchy but the immediate area by Yankees' Stadium seemed tolerable. However I've never been on the Grand Concourse before. If it's too sketchy then I change things up and go to the city instead or in Riverdale.

nevermind

No subway... BxM4 since it's easier for me to get to the city and then back to Riverdale, plus it stops right on the Concourse which means no having to schlepp up the hills from the subway.  There is no way I would even consider taking the local bus in the Bronx.  Too painful of a commute and probably too ghetto from what you've mentioned about the Bx1/Bx2 not to mention the numerous transfers and I'm not up for the BS and aggravation.  I have the option of setting this up in the city but since the express bus is right there I figure I can just use that to and from the city and transfer to the Riverdale buses on the Upper East Side.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll be over there next week. 

Sh*t...  <_< Well I had the same set up with the BxM10 in Morris Park but they seemed to realize that we wanted the bus and we didn't have to hail down the bus.  Could've been how we were dressed. We looked like city folks I suppose, but that's pretty annoying.  I don't mind sharing the stop, but they should have a separate area for us to get the bus.  Less chaos that way. In Riverdale, they never assume anything.   They just pull into the stop.  I never wave.  Not my cup of tea but a buddy of mine does the BxM2. I'll probably see him next week. He does runs on the BxM4 and he can tell me the deal along the Concourse.

Dude if you are truly serious you would just take the (4)  You clearly are not. You can't say with a straight face the BXM4 is quicker than the (4) there is a reason it's ridership is abysmal.

He doesn't think much when it comes to these types of trips. That would only make sense if he was going to say co-op city or throngs neck where it is easier to just take express buses than to go on slow locals but to yankee stadium now he is simply tyna avoid local buses to avoid local buses being a bit I don't want to be near commoners attitude.

No, I will be traveling directly from Manhattan to the Bronx. Coming back I will take the BxM4 to the city, probably make a stop, and eventually get the BxM1 or BxM2 depending on where I'm at in the city back to Riverdale. In any event, most of the Bronx is really a pain to commute to from Riverdale unless you're driving, hence why I don't go to those areas unless I'm commuting from Manhattan.  If I was coming from Riverdale directly, I would probably take the MetroNorth to 153rd street/Yankee Stadium stop which is pretty quick.

Interesting you caught my attention Your better off with the (4) don't bother Bxm4 runs like shit even at rush hour and there is a reason why you see near empty rush hour buses.

Dude if you are truly serious you would just take the (4)  You clearly are not. You can't say with a straight face the BXM4 is quicker than the (4) there is a reason it's ridership is abysmal.

He doesn't think much when it comes to these types of trips. That would only make sense if he was going to say co-op city or throngs neck where it is easier to just take express buses than to go on slow locals but to yankee stadium now he is simply tyna avoid local buses to avoid local buses being a bit I don't want to be near commoners attitude.

"Dude" I'm truly serious.  The BxM4 leaves me right on the Concourse which is where I need to be and is the 1st or 2nd stop once we reach the Bronx so it is a pretty short ride.  The (4) can be a hassle and can be crowded and I want a relaxing ride.  I'm not concerned about the time since the ride is only 20 - 30 minutes tops.

"Dude" I'm truly serious.  The BxM4 leaves me right on the Concourse which is where I need to be and is the 1st or 2nd stop once we reach the Bronx so it is a pretty short ride.  The (4) can be a hassle and can be crowded and I want a relaxing ride.  I'm not concerned about the time since the ride is only 20 - 30 minutes tops.

Interesting.

@turbo19 it is a very redundant route it is the only BXM line to directly duplicate multiple train lines all of which are faster there is no reason to pay $6 for a slower infrequent service.

Interesting.

@turbo19 it is a very redundant route it is the only BXM line to directly duplicate multiple train lines all of which are faster there is no reason to pay $6 for a slower infrequent service.

Personally I would pay for the guarantee of a seat (comfy one at that) and a smoother ride in comparison to the subway.

In Brooklyn there are plenty of them and I'm not phased by them because I'm a Brooklynite, but the Bronx is new territory. It has a flavor of its own and quite frankly I feel as if the bad parts are REALLY bad. 

It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. The worst parts of Brooklyn are just as bad (if anything, probably slightly worse) than the worst parts of The Bronx.

It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. The worst parts of Brooklyn are just as bad (if anything, probably slightly worse) than the worst parts of The Bronx.

Well that's your opinion. Just because you see things that way doesn't make them a fact.  I'm giving my opinion from my perspective which is what matters here because I'm the one traveling there. What one considers good can be bad to another and so on.  I'm a grown man of mixed background giving my perspective and you're giving your perspective as a Latino teenager.  The point is we're not the same, nor did we grow up the same way so this is all subjective, not factual. I'm sure some people would say that even the worst parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn are just fine.  

In the day, that part of the Concourse is relatively safe... Been going around the area for years... You'll be fine in the day... At night, things get a little sketchy so stay on the Concourse at night... Knowing you, I won't recommend going Northwest past the stadium at night... East of the Concourse at night isn't that bad but if you don't need to go over there, then don't...

That's just like Fordham RD, I'm not surprised... Fare-beaters everywhere there I tell you...

Sh*t... <_< Well I had the same set up with the BxM10 in Morris Park but they seemed to realize that we wanted the bus and we didn't have to hail down the bus. Could've been how we were dressed. We looked like city folks I suppose, but that's pretty annoying. I don't mind sharing the stop, but they should have a separate area for us to get the bus. Less chaos that way. In Riverdale, they never assume anything. They just pull into the stop. I never wave. Not my cup of tea but a buddy of mine does the BxM2. I'll probably see him next week. He does runs on the BxM4 and he can tell me the deal along the Concourse.

FWIW, the southbound stop at 158th Street (it's on the SW corner of GC & 158th) is only served by the Bx2 & BxM4 (Bx1s bypass it since they're limited, unless it's a Sunday or later in the evening). So that might make it easier in terms of worrying about buses blocking the stops, since you only have to worry about the Bx2.

When I went up there, I noticed buses would often come in bunches of 2 Bx1s and a Bx2 or vice versa (2 Bx2s and a Bx1). So that makes the 158th Street stop a little better than 165th Street, because if a BxM4 happens to come at the same time as 3 locals/limiteds come, well, good luck.

The 165th Street stop is on the NW corner of GC & 165th. Both 165th & 158th have shelters.

Well that's your opinion. Just because you see things that way doesn't make them a fact. I'm giving my opinion from my perspective which is what matters here because I'm the one traveling there. What one considers good can be bad to another and so on. I'm a grown man of mixed background giving my perspective and you're giving your perspective as a Latino teenager. The point is we're not the same, nor did we grow up the same way so this is all subjective, not factual. I'm sure some people would say that even the worst parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn are just fine.

And you're basing this off what exactly? The stigma of The Bronx, that just because the area happens to be a bad Bronx neighborhood, it must be worse than a bad Brooklyn neighborhood? Hunts Point & Morrisania are that much worse than Brownsville & East NY?

If you're basing it off some sort of experience or whatever, then fine, but if you're basing it solely off the fact that the neighborhood happens to be in one borough rather than another, then that's foolish to say the least.

In the day, that part of the Concourse is relatively safe... Been going around the area for years... You'll be fine in the day... At night, things get a little sketchy so stay on the Concourse at night... Knowing you, I won't recommend going Northwest past the stadium at night... East of the Concourse at night isn't that bad but if you don't need to go over there, then don't...

Can't be any worse than the real ghetto parts of the Heights... I remember going there in the dead of winter.  People were looking at me like I was 5-0.  :lol: Good to know nevertheless because I'm heading up there at night and since I've never been the more I know the better. That said, I know how people are with me. I stand out whether I want to or not.  Just comes with the territory and being 6'4".  :lol:

^^Exactly! This is me...VG8 you should think like this

You can't show weakness on the streets. This is New York City. Look like you fit in. Not like you came from out of state. I mind my business wherever I go.

I've been in my fair share of "hoods".... Williamsburg, Bushwick, Washington Heights... Never had any problems... I'll be fine. I just like to know the areas that are hot spots because some areas are still hot despite the hipsters moving in. I used to work the graveyard shift in Williamsburg and in Washington Heights when I worked security inside banks for a bit.  I know how to hold my own.  

Archived