B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BigRnyc said:

I'm pretty sure this has been answered before but I've been on medical hold since July 17'. I did what needed to be done now what's my next step? I was told that I have to get my list number reinstated?....how do I go about this?

The easiest way to do this is via email...click here and here for more information.

Good luck!!

Hey guys, i was wondering what number their at, i scored 92.5% on the test and i am number 331x on the list, is it possible that i will get a call or am i fresh out of luck?

Thank you for your time.

M.

Edited by +Young+
List number...

34 minutes ago, ozpM said:

Hey guys, i was wondering what number their at, i scored 92.5% on the test and i am number 331X on the list, is it possible that i will get a call or am i fresh out of luck?

Thank you for your time.

M.

You likely should have been called already.

On Staten Island, the last person in my depot came off this exam and their list number is 430X.  (You should shorten your list number to be semi-anonymous).

On Monday, you should call MTA HR at 1 347-643-8229/30/31 for further instructions. 

Before that, you should call DCAS 1 212-699-1357 Option 2 and see what the automated line says about your status.

Good Luck

Edited by 161 New York

I have a hard question, Im on 4600 test, list number 107X, and was called last year, but put on hold for points, also on test 4105 mabstoa, list number 210X...

I was told to come back in December when I'm eligible for both, which one should I process for???

4600 nyc transit , or 4105 mabstoa??? I know the questions been asked of whats the difference, but which one would you choose and why??? pros and cons???

Thank you

23 minutes ago, mtabx911 said:

I have a hard question, Im on 4600 test, list number 107X, and was called last year, but put on hold for points, also on test 4105 mabstoa, list number 210X...

I was told to come back in December when I'm eligible for both, which one should I process for???

4600 nyc transit , or 4105 mabstoa??? I know the questions been asked of whats the difference, but which one would you choose and why??? pros and cons???

Thank you

The real difference is work location, OA operators may only work in OA depots, while TA operators can work in TA and OA depots, none can work in MTA Bus Company depots. If you are OK with working in OA depots for your career, then you can select OA, if you want flexibility to work in different TA/OA depots, Staten Island or specific Queens division depots, then select TA. The pay is the same and the pensions appear to be somewhat similar.

Read this thread for more information on OA vs TA, as said trife86, "This topic has been beaten to death on this site":

Edited by 161 New York

46 minutes ago, 161 New York said:

You likely should have been called already.

On Staten Island, the last person in my depot came off this exam and their list number is 430X.  (You should shorten your list number to be semi-anonymous).

On Monday, you should call MTA HR at 1 347-643-8229/30/31 for further instructions. 

Before that, you should call DCAS 1 212-699-1357 Option 2 and see what the automated line says about your status.

Good Luck

thank you so much for this information, if they DID call my number already is it too late? i did not receive any letter,email, or call (none of my original contact info has changed)

thank you again for your time

M

1 hour ago, mtabx911 said:

Thank you

Just to add on to what 161 said. If your TA and take or if you have taken the conductor or Train Operator exam and get called(been TA) if it don' t work out then you can go  back to B/O(within a 1 year) TA you get your time where was coming from OA into a TA title you would have to start over (as far as how long you would have to work) Only thing when working in a other position ewhen your already TA you will lose seniority. 

11 hours ago, ozpM said:

Hey guys, i was wondering what number their at, i scored 92.5% on the test and i am number 3318 on the list, is it possible that i will get a call or am i fresh out of luck?

Thank you for your time.

M.

That can’t be accurate about your list # and score because I scored a 93% and my list # 3,7XX and I’m waiting as well. I would’ve been in the June 2017 class also.

14 hours ago, 161 New York said:

The real difference is work location, OA operators may only work in OA depots, while TA operators can work in TA and OA depots, none can work in MTA Bus Company depots. If you are OK with working in OA depots for your career, then you can select OA, if you want flexibility to work in different TA/OA depots, Staten Island or specific Queens division depots, then select TA. The pay is the same and the pensions appear to be somewhat similar.

Read this thread for more information on OA vs TA, as said trife86, "This topic has been beaten to death on this site":

OA can work at a TA depot except for non TWU unions such as Queens, and Staten Island depots. Brooklyn would be the only TA depots options since both Manhattan and Bronx are OA divisions 

Well guys, I did it. Finally off probation. Started as OA 2/6/17 in Ulmer Park , became TA in July. Then transferred to Staten Island in August. Got extended two days because I had called out for two days straight (was in major back pain, all about posture driving these buses!)

Just stick to what Zerega had taught us, take your time and you’ll fly through the year. Can’t believe it’s already been a year actually. Good luck everyone.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:30 AM, DueceDrives said:

OA can work at a TA depot except for non TWU unions such as Queens, and Staten Island depots. Brooklyn would be the only TA depots options since both Manhattan and Bronx are OA divisions 

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll go with the first whose hiring. As far as location I live in the bx, so having access to the other boros wouldn't matter to me.  Just have to wait another 10 months...

1 hour ago, Getchanosediirty4ft said:

Does anyone know the difference between Outstanding certification vs Not on Outstanding certification (Automated msg from DCAS)?

Outstanding Certification means that the HR office of NYC Transit has your information, and as soon as there are vacancies available, they will send you a letter inviting you down to their facility located at 180 Livingston Street in Downtown Brooklyn to begin the employment process.

Not on Outstanding Certification means that the HR office does not have your information, and you won't be receiving a letter in the foreseeable future.

Edited by +Young+