QM16/QM17 To Make Stops on Woodhaven Blvd

And this is, 63rd Drive

9256678193_f62bc5bf69_b.jpg

Woodhaven Blvd/ 63 Drive by joseart99, on Flickr

9256678911_1d393ebf03_b.jpg

Woodhaven Blvd/ 63 Drive by joseart99, on Flickr

So they're finally gonna go through with it huh.....

I've been hearing drivers & regulars (on the 16) chirping about this for quite some time now....

Do you know what stops exactly. 63 Drive is confirmed for now. And for what reason is this?

They are desperate to increase ridership on those lines yet they perform better than the bxm4 LOL well they soon will actually qm17 is 2 riders away lol I don't think QM17&16 need the extra stops at all.

Something tells me they want to implement more than increased ridership...

Ridership must be weak on the QM16/17 for them to add stops to the routes, I guess Sandy knocking out A train service for a couple of months didn't help boost ridership.

According to statistics

2012 Ridership per weekday was 367 (QM16) and 405 (QM17). 

The QM16 had 15 runs, an average of 24.4 riders per bus

The QM17 had 17 runs, an average of 23.8 riders per bus as per 2012 stats

I honestly dont see the reason for the extra stop(s).

i'll bet that the ta is triing to suck ridership off the qm15 so they could vcut peak service. if u look with in the last year or so the am peek has been reduced from every 5mins to 6mins.

Yeah thats not because of the 16/17 thats because of the BM5. Off Peak is to stay on the QM15, most trips even out or break even in costs (those first few and last few may not for obvious reasons). 5 minutes to 6 minutes isnt such a big loss, only 2 buses per hour being lost (but then other routes in JFK are being enhanced, so those BO's may be moved there instead).

....Do you know what stops exactly. 63 Drive is confirmed for now. And for what reason is this?

how many stops you hear they will add and why do you think they want to add these stops

The talks I overheard b/w driver || passenger & b/w other passengers on a couple QM16's I've been on (since the stops were added on the BM5) were only regarding the addition of stops on Woodhaven in general...... Nothing was said about the amount of stops or where stops would be added....

- The (actual) reason for the additional stop on 63rd, I don't know....

- Why do I think they want to add stops.... Well believe it or not, some QM16 pax. actually want/wanted buses to stop along Woodhaven (I don't know about QM17 riders in-particular).... I would say it's 50/50, the amt of ppl. (I've heard on the QM16) that oppose it to the ppl. that are in favor of doing so.... I'm thinking the MTA will find a way to consolidate express service overall along Woodhaven || Cross Bay.... Not by getting rid of the QM15 outright, but by cutting the amount of QM15 trips during peak hrs. to where service on the QM15/16/17 are more spread out (meaning, more riders per bus on the QM15 & having QM16's/17's making a few more stops).... I do not think for one second the MTA added that stop on 63rd solely because enough riders requested it.....

I'm willing to bet there's more to it....

According to statistics

2012 Ridership per weekday was 367 (QM16) and 405 (QM17). 

The QM16 had 15 runs, an average of 24.4 riders per bus

The QM17 had 17 runs, an average of 23.8 riders per bus as per 2012 stats

I honestly dont see the reason for the extra stop(s).

I don't know about the AM, but during the PM, it's not uncommon to see back to back QM15's..... I have noticed that on too many occasions when I used to take QM16's after work (I was afraid the MTA would eventually catch on to that).... Although the stats support that QM16/17's are well used, I highly doubt this is about increasing ridership.....

My bet is restoring all the stops on Woodhaven/Cross Bay

On the QM16/17? Restoring what stops......

Im going to ask a QM15 driver about that to see if he/she knows.

Good idea..... and If you do, inform us if you get any more information about this whole thing.....

The talks I overheard b/w driver || passenger & b/w other passengers on a couple QM16's I've been on (since the stops were added on the BM5) were only regarding the addition of stops on Woodhaven in general...... Nothing was said about the amount of stops or where stops would be added....

- The (actual) reason for the additional stop on 63rd, I don't know....

- Why do I think they want to add stops.... Well believe it or not, some QM16 pax. actually want/wanted buses to stop along Woodhaven (I don't know about QM17 riders in-particular).... I would say it's 50/50, the amt of ppl. (I've heard on the QM16) that oppose it to the ppl. that are in favor of doing so.... I'm thinking the MTA will find a way to consolidate express service overall along Woodhaven || Cross Bay.... Not by getting rid of the QM15 outright, but by cutting the amount of QM15 trips during peak hrs. to where service on the QM15/16/17 are more spread out (meaning, more riders per bus on the QM15 & having QM16's/17's making a few more stops).... I do not think for one second the MTA added that stop on 63rd solely because enough riders requested it.....

I'm willing to bet there's more to it....

I don't know about the AM, but during the PM, it's not uncommon to see back to back QM15's..... I have noticed that on too many occasions when I used to take QM16's after work (I was afraid the MTA would eventually catch on to that).... Although the stats support that QM16/17's are well used, I highly doubt this is about increasing ridership.....

On the QM16/17? Restoring what stops......

Good idea..... and If you do, inform us if you get any more information about this whole thing.....

Since every bus but the QM15 that make stops on Woodhaven Blvd runs every 20 minutes at rush, that may be the case. The QM15 might be a 20 minute headway route, and the BM5/QM16/QM17 might be adjusted to coinside with the current QM15 schedule. I honestly don know whats gonna happen, but it better not be a situation where youre gonna have standees. They might as well run the QM16/QM17/QM15/BM5 every 4 hours outside rush (hope no one took that seriously).

Since every bus but the QM15 that make stops on Woodhaven Blvd runs every 20 minutes at rush, that may be the case. The QM15 might be a 20 minute headway route, and the BM5/QM16/QM17 might be adjusted to coinside with the current QM15 schedule. I honestly don know whats gonna happen, but it better not be a situation where youre gonna have standees. They might as well run the QM16/QM17/QM15/BM5 every 4 hours outside rush (hope no one took that seriously).

lol...

If they're gonna add more than just that stop on 63rd, there's gonna be standees - Don't even have to hesitate about that.

- From what I've long noticed, the (PM) loads on QM16 trips/per trip are more consistent....

- However, I've seen more buses w/ standees (and on the other side of the coin, less packed buses as well) on QM17's..... This is the same situation with the PM QM15's, albeit to a worse extent w/ the lesser used buses (one bus jammed packed, one bus running almost empty - this is why you'll commonly see 1 QM15 behind another at some point along Woodhaven)...

Wow that bus stop sign is very long. They may have to put the newer Bus stop poles along wood haven blvd. I just don't understand why the MTA keeps putting more routes along Woodhaven. The Q11,Q21,Q52,Q53,QM15,QM16,QM17, and BM5. By now they Woodaven and Cross Bay riders should have the best service in the City :D

The QM16/QM17 never stopped along Woodhaven to begin with. It's last stop in Queens is 159 Avenue, in which is before the QM15 terminal, which is 157th and 92nd Street. It's always been like that.

They did during the Green Line days...

Wow that bus stop sign is very long. They may have to put the newer Bus stop poles along wood haven blvd. I just don't understand why the MTA keeps putting more routes along Woodhaven. The Q11,Q21,Q52,Q53,QM15,QM16,QM17, and BM5. By now they Woodaven and Cross Bay riders should have the best service in the City :D

Lol. Their express service is more frequent then the average, there local is less frequent, and the limited is less frequent. It'a alright I guess.

Well they're either looking to have one thing or the other happen... Either increased ridership on the lines due to better frequencies or they're looking to see who takes what where so that they can cut something.  Express bus service is under severe scrutiny and there is no question that the (MTA) has been trying to slowly cut away anything that they can and they're starting to try to cut into the meat now. Communities dependent upon express bus service need to be very careful about this situation, vocal and vigilant of the schedule adjustments and fight to keep their service.  I think most of the recent moves have made sense, as they have been reasonable in terms of trying to get more usage out of the express buses where they're needed more, but this is a very delicate situation that needs to be watched carefully as time goes on.

Its only 63 Drive for now. My QM15 driver says that its not finalized. He hasnt heard much, but he did say that there are still things left to finalize. It might go into effect next pick.

So why do they have the stops up already if the buses don't officially stop there???  <_<

Archived