MTA bus job 'pick cars' cost taxpayers $270G per year: arbitrator

Harry

post-5097-0-74349000-1376482154_thumb.jpg
It's not enough for the MTA to let Bronx bus drivers choose their future assignments while they’re on the clock — the authority also has to spend $270,000 a year to send cars to fetch the workers, an arbitrator has ruled. Bronx bus drivers periodically are driven from their routes back to their depots to participate in the job “pick” — an arrangement that transit bosses recently tried to end, contending it’s too costly in lean times. Job picks are governed by union seniority with the most veteran drivers getting first dibs as routes and shifts become available when workers retire, get promoted or are sidelined by illness or injury.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-74349000-1376482154_thumb.jpg

It's not enough for the MTA to let Bronx bus drivers choose their future assignments while they’re on the clock — the authority also has to spend $270,000 a year to send cars to fetch the workers, an arbitrator has ruled. Bronx bus drivers periodically are driven from their routes back to their depots to participate in the job “pick” — an arrangement that transit bosses recently tried to end, contending it’s too costly in lean times. Job picks are governed by union seniority with the most veteran drivers getting first dibs as routes and shifts become available when workers retire, get promoted or are sidelined by illness or injury.

Read more: Source

BAH in RTO we dont have anybody "drive us" to any Pick Locations...

We are on our own...

So its only Buses that got it i see no issue, its something TA violated that they agreed to too bad for them.

BTW you can be on the clock and pick as long as you are on a break and not operating a bus or a train so this article is misleading..  Oh what a surprise.. Watch Folks just eat this up too... Smh..

BTW you can be on the clock and pick as long as you are on a break and not operating a bus or a train so this article is misleading.. 

I think the article admits to that:

There are plenty of other options available for bus drivers to choose jobs, MTA officials said in papers they submitted to the arbitrator. They can go enter their picks on days off or during a lunch break.

They can even submit their top preferences in writing or participate by telephone, fax, email or write a letter, officials said. They can also delegate a union rep to stake their claim on a route.

The fact is the words "on the clock" are used though. You on lunch you are on the clock..You on a break you on the clock. The TA agreed to it so now they want to back out? I'm sorry negotiations don't work that way. RTO don't have that kind of leeway yet we make do with what we have.

Oh forgot to add typical responsive way TA does things they whine to the public and some folks just go along..

Why spend the money on something web based? That's as much of a waste. Where i work your given a time to call the crew office, if your working during that time, you call early and let them know and you call them as soon as you can. Other than that, its on you to call your self.

Why spend the money on something web based? That's as much of a waste. Where i work your given a time to call the crew office, if your working during that time, you call early and let them know and you call them as soon as you can. Other than that, its on you to call your self.

I don't think a web based program would cost 270k a year...  <_<  If it did, then it would explain why the (MTA) constantly cries broke.

You heard about Citytime right? A system that costs only a fraction of the price anywhere else it was used except NYC. Plus, not everyone has a computer or access to the internet.

lol... Yeah but just about everyone has a smartphone these days.  Let's not start making a ton of excuses. If they don't have one then they should get with the times.  <_<

lol... Pretty pathetic.

Are you serious? This is the kind of shit I'd expect to read from a technologically obsessed 14 year old, not from a grown adult.

Last I checked, smart phones are not needed to get by in life. If they were, our species would have gone extinct long ago.

Are you serious? This is the kind of shit I'd expect to read from a technologically obsessed 14 year old, not from a grown adult.

Last I checked, smart phones are not needed to get by in life. If they were, our species would have gone extinct long ago.

Nobody said they were necessary, but MOST people have cell phones unless they're still stuck in a cave somewhere, so yes I'm serious.  Get with the times!  <_<

Nobody said they were necessary, but MOST people have cell phones unless they're still stuck in a cave somewhere, so yes I'm serious.  Get with the times!  <_<

My Mother dont have a Cell phone so whats your point ?

This indeed seems like a waste of money.  Why can't they implement a web based system where they do the picks on line?  I mean it can't be that complicated.  Talk about out of touch with the times.

You should see how much money they wasted on these Work Trains...

Nobody said they were necessary, but MOST people have cell phones unless they're still stuck in a cave somewhere, so yes I'm serious. Get with the times! <_<

You need help...

My entire family except for my aunt has got by on life with landline or flip phones and we continue to do so.We're not stuck in a cave we are living in the US just like you are.that's a very disingenuous comment on your behalf that I'm sure would anger millions of Americans because your basically insulting their intelligence <_<

You need help...

My entire family except for my aunt has got by on life with landline or flip phones and we continue to do so.We're not stuck in a cave we are living in the US just like you are.that's a very disingenuous comment on your behalf that I'm sure would anger millions of Americans because your basically insulting their intelligence <_<

lol... Sorry to offend, but I'm of a different generation.  I know of a few folks that don't even do banking online because they're too afraid of the internet.  You can't be afraid of change or it will leave you behind.

I'm not afraid of change and nether is them.I just think people are comfortable with what they have and don't see a reason to change.I mean I have and am typing this on a iTouch and don't see a reason to get a iPhone.Im comfortable with the iTouch and continue to use it and don't need a iPhone just like some don't use a cell phone or bank online and such.It's a matter of choice and comfort.

I'm not afraid of change and nether is them.I just think people are comfortable with what they have and don't see a reason to change.I mean I have and am typing this on a iTouch and don't see a reason to get a iPhone.Im comfortable with the iTouch and continue to use it and don't need a iPhone just like some don't use a cell phone or bank online and such.It's a matter of choice and comfort.

Yes and some people and indeed afraid of change.  

You need help...

People like him dont even realize they are Smh..

Archived