'Fast & Furious: New York': Driver shows off record-setting lap around Manhattan in shocking video

Harry

post-5097-0-59019000-1378302501_thumb.jpg
Don't try this stunt at home! A driver has released alarming footage from August 26, 2013 showing what appears to be the fastest lap around Manhattan, reports Jalopnik. Posted under the pseudonym AfroDuck Production, the video shows the speed demon starting a 26.5-mile loop around the island at 116th Street and FDR Drive. The driver then heads south through the Battery Park Underpass and around to the West Side Highway. Cutting east along I-95, he finally wraps south on the FDR for the finish line. The car used for the record-setting, law-breaking ride is a stock 2006 BMW Z4, which has a maximum speed of 155 miles per hour.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-59019000-1378302501_thumb.jpg

I have 2 views on this.

1. Even on speed limit with no traffic what-so-ever, you could probably nail 30 minutes around that loop.  Also depending no bullshit going on West Side Highway.

2. My non-law breaking side, yeah he endangered lives with some of the weaves, but seriously, I've seen taxi cabs do worse in broad daylight.

It's like on of those Joker meme's.

A NYC taxi cab drives reckless in broad daylight and no one bats an eye.
A young man speeds around the edge of Manhattan at night and everyone loses their mind.

Double standard if you ask me.  Though in my younger days, I probably would of been stupid enough to try something like this.

Yeah he was arrested.

I love how the news exaggerates crap.

You know the routine. It's all to save face on the part of the NYPD, simple as that, always happens. Any police force where a non threatening event occurs in itself which that the media catches first before law enforcement the law enforcement officials steps in and enforces the law to restore credibility. 

You know the routine. It's all to save face on the part of the NYPD, simple as that, always happens. Any police force where a non threatening event occurs in itself which that the media catches first before law enforcement the law enforcement officials steps in and enforces the law to restore credibility. 

I was watching the news this morning, driver claims he was averaging 66 mph, and honestly from the video, it's seems reasonable on the streets, on the FDR he was probably averaging 70.  Then the news claims there was no way he was going 66 on the video and he was going much faster...I felt as if they never realized the video was sped up a bit.  Side note, they loved the song and shazamed it.

If I was going to do a loop like that, I'd probably be driving something more durable and tank-like than a 2006 BMW.  Probably something like a 1979 Lincoln Continental Towncar LOL...

Too slow...that's if you would like a slow and scenic trip.

Realistically, if that same loop were to be shutdown and made into a track, you'd want something fast and agile rather something like tank..it's not like you're joining a destruction derby. 

I wonder if they'll slow down the video in court to see the actual speed. He doesn't seem like he was zooming past the other drivers that fast

All they really need to do is get the original footage and go from there.  Either way, just by watching the video and viewing the part on the FDR, it looks as if he was going 65-75 at most.  Really I'd say he bent the rules rather break them because if anything yellow cabs pull these type of maneuvers on a daily basis on local streets.

Guest Bonnetd0201

This would be a great way for the city to make money a race from Dyckman to 225 in the bronx using the harlem river drive the fdr and the west side highway 

Let people like this pay 1 million dollars for them to have a dedicated lane at night around 2-3 and let them use their cars for their true purpose  

This would be a great way for the city to make money a race from Dyckman to 225 in the bronx using the harlem river drive the fdr and the west side highway 

Let people like this pay 1 million dollars for them to have a dedicated lane at night around 2-3 and let them use their cars for their true purpose  

I was just about to say I'd pay for dedicated left lanes for E-Z Pass members, but then almost everyone has E-ZPass and you'd have Ms Daisy clogging the lane 

Archived