Nova "Chirping"

DanTheTransitMan

There was a person on Youtube who had a video of that, but they deleted it.

It's that screeching sound, I always heard it on the new C40LFs. (One just did it as I was typing this)

There's one on my channel...can't past it now since I'm not home

It's that screeching sound, I always heard it on the new C40LFs. (One just did it as I was typing this)

I know what you're talking about, but that's not it. This noise sounds like the bus whistling. 

Could be the door alarm you're hearing.

I don't think that's it. I hear this sound when the bus is coming into the stop- not when the doors are opening. 

I know what you're talking about, but that's not it. This noise sounds like the bus whistling. 

I don't think that's it. I hear this sound when the bus is coming into the stop- not when the doors are opening. 

That would be the door alarm. Sometimes they make that noise when the buses pulls into the stop. It's like the Orion VIIs when they make the beeping sounds before the bus would pull into the stop.

No... it's not the damn door alarm... the door alarm is a beep... beep beep... the does chirping make a beeping sound? no.... it's a whistling sound. I know because the Xcelsiors always make that noise

No, the door alarm on the Novas was a wailing siren that got modified to a chrip-like sound...

There's one on my channel...can't past it now since I'm not home

You're referring to this...

...I still don't know what causes that screeching

Thats a very ignorant answer..maybe you should watch the video...

Since when does the turn signal make a whistling sound? Or chirping sound?

Actually, the Xcelsior turn signals do make a sound. I've heard it before.

But the sound you are speaking of is not close to what 711 and Dan are referring to, that sound is not on any Nova.

So I've taken a listen of some of my soundclips and found the sound that Dan is referring to :

2:27 on that 1205 clip, you can hear it.

Well since we're already discussing bus sounds I have a dew question some of the older members might be able to answer....

-What made the GMC RTS buses ROAR.  Not all of them did it.  But some had a seat vibrating, window shaking roar which would climax about the time the bus hit 3rd (or 4th?) gear.  Then it would pick up in earnest at about 50mph.  VERY LOUD sometimes.

-Grumman 870s, Flxible As and to a lesser extent GMC RTS used to make this sneezing sound at times when air was released.  It made the sound a backpack or jacket makes when you zip it up real fast.  It's very loud and can make you jump if you're not expecting it.  There was a quieter vvrrrwhooosh version you'd hear on the RTS as well.  What was the cause of this.

-A number of Metro As, some RTS and even one D40LF made this frying bacon sound when in motion from the exhaust.  The Metros and RTS that did it had a deep throaty idle like an Eagle 10.  And when they took off it was very bass heavy and would make a loud frying sound you could hear for blocks down the street.  

-Older D40LFs, mid to late 90s usually, made this odd noise upon acceleration where there was a strange and sometimes EXTREMELY LOUD metal on metal noise which would crescendo each time the bus changed gears before ending with a pff-shff.  Sometimes the bus would hiss instead of scream and it would end in the same pff-shff noise.  

-I hear MAN planetarys are the best sounding axles out there.

Now, on topic.  There are a few different type of whistles and chirps.  The CNG whistle and um, "backfire,"  The 6v92TA turbo whine, and a definite whistle a rare number of D40LFs make when taking off and stopping.  It sounds like an actual whistle.  There's also various whines moans and groans.  The screeching sound sometimes akin to car brakes is from water in the fan belts I believe.  

Archived