South Brooklyn residents continue push for X28 weekend restoration

Via Garibaldi 8

x28-bus.png

Photo Courtesy Of Justin Brannan

State Senator Marty Golden and Republican City Council candidate John Quaglione are renewing their calls for a restoration of weekend bus service on the X28 line from Bath Beach to Manhattan.

The duo sent a letter, along with “hundreds of petitions,” to the MTA calling for a full restoration of weekend service on the line, according to a press release issued yesterday.

“I vowed to help fight for this service to return, and that is why I, along with Senator Golden, visited many of the bus stops along the route on weekday mornings, to garner support for our petition efforts.  This would be a great victory for the community and a quality of life improvement for all,” Quaglione, who is also an aide to Golden, said in the press release.

“I am proud to be working with John and strongly support efforts to restore the X 28 weekend express bus service. So many people depended on this service at the time of its elimination and it is time to revive this service. There is a real need in the community to have this service restored, and I look forward to continued support from the community in the fight to bring this bus back,” said Golden.

Weekend service on the line was terminated as part of the June 2010 service cuts, with the MTA saying that the low ridership on the line did not justify the expense. When the MTA restored several bus lines in January of this year, the X28 was not on the list, despite outcry from the community.

Quaglione launched the petition drive in September, echoing a similar initiative by acoalition led by Assemblyman William Colton and Councilman Vincent Gentile. Although the elected officials are united in their request to restore service, they are working independently.

In June, the MTA told Bensonhurst Bean that there remains insufficient demand for the line, and they consider the Bensonhurst and Bath Beach portions redundant, given that commuters are also serviced by the D subway line. They said restoration is unlikely.

“The weekend X28 route had low ridership (760 customers) and duplicated D subway service,” MTA spokesperson Deirdre Parker wrote in an email to Bensonhurst Bean. “Many other former X28 customers have started using the DFNQ subways on weekends, in some cases transferring from local buses.”

Overall, though, the service is just too expensive to restore when riders have other options.

“On a cost per passenger basis, express bus service is far more costly to operate than either local bus service or subway service,” Parker noted.

Source: http://www.bensonhurstbean.com/2013/10/golden-quaglione-renew-call-for-restoration-of-weekend-bus-service-on-x28/

---

It's great that someone is waking up in South Brooklyn.  There was also an article a few months ago about pushing to restore the X29.  I have been in contact with both Golden's office and Quaglione's office along with other politicians and the push to get the X28 restored on weekends shall continue.  I am not sure how or if the X29 could be restored but the fact that it was discussed at least is good. Perhaps that's a fire that can be lit as well.  

Disagree with both of those restorations for the same reason that the MTA stated. The X28 is duplicated by the D train in those neighborhoods. Not a necessity. The X29 is duplicated by the B/Q train. Just leave earlier. They need to devote their petitions to the B36's irregularity. That route has serious issues with keeping to schedule. Also - the same politicians that are discussing this had completely ignored my requests to petition the MTA about fixing the B36 because the majority of the neighborhood hasn't mentioned it to them, so they don't think it's an issue.

To expand on that - Most Coney Island residents have this thing of speaking to each other and complaining to the driver about service - but when I or anyone mention calling the politicians that serve their neighborhood, they say they will - and never do, or just say they [the politicians] won't do anything - not noticing the bulls*** requests those same politicians are making for these routes, which aren't as important.

I understood the X27 request for weekend service, because there isn't a full-fledged duplicate - but this is totally ridiculous.

Disagree with both of those restorations for the same reason that the MTA stated. The X28 is duplicated by the D train in those neighborhoods. Not a necessity. The X29 is duplicated by the B/Q train. Just leave earlier. They need to devote their petitions to the B36's irregularity. That route has serious issues with keeping to schedule. Also - the same politicians that are discussing this had completely ignored my requests to petition the MTA about fixing the B36 because the majority of the neighborhood hasn't mentioned it to them, so they don't think it's an issue.

To expand on that - Most Coney Island residents have this thing of speaking to each other and complaining to the driver about service - but when I or anyone mention calling the politicians that serve their neighborhood, they say they will - and never do, or just say they [the politicians] won't do anything - not noticing the bulls*** requests those same politicians are making for these routes, which aren't as important.

I understood the X27 request for weekend service, because there isn't a full-fledged duplicate - but this is totally ridiculous.

The purpose of the express bus is to reduce transfers and tedious commutes.  The X29 does not duplicate the (B) / (Q).  I didn't know that the (B) / (Q) served Downtown, as the X29 does, nor ran along Coney Island Avenue.  You also have a lot of people who are disabled and the express bus makes their commutes easier from having to make transfers and try to navigate up and down stairs.

It's the same situation with the X28 on weekends.  The X28 serves areas not served by the (D) train and also provides a quick commute to Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge and other South Brooklyn communities such as Sea Gate and Bensonhurst.  Having a long subway ride plus a bus ride makes a long commute that much longer.  It's also worth noting how often the (D) is knocked out on weekends which means that you have a nightmare with a gazillion transfers just to get to Manhattan.  

Many of the people who have signed the petitions are either disabled, elderly, or both, and/or realize that the X28 is a necessity on the weekends which facilitates what can otherwise be a difficult, time-consuming commute on the subway.

I live right on X28 route. There is no point of running the bus on the weekends regularly. The West End line is rebuilt and I expect the (N) to be sent over the West End line during Weekend as the Sea Beach line is going to be rebuilt. For those thinking about the Dyker Highs region with no train service, I point to the X17 stop at 86th St and I-278, to get to there people can use the B1.

No point

I live right on X28 route. There is no point of running the bus on the weekends regularly. The West End line is rebuilt and I expect the (N) to be sent over the West End line during Weekend as the Sea Beach line is going to be rebuilt. For those thinking about the Dyker Highs region with no train service, I point to the X17 stop at 86th St and I-278, to get to there people can use the B1.

No point

The X17 is there for Staten Islanders and they need their X17 back to the way it should be running on weekends, which is not serving Dyker Heights.  As a former South Brooklyn resident and former Staten Islander, who uses the X17, X27 and X28 regularly, it's egregious what they're doing with the X17 on weekends.  Staten Islanders have some of the longest commutes in the nation, and having the X17 stop in Brooklyn is just adding more time on to already long commutes.  Residents of South Brooklyn deserve better, as do the residents of Staten Island.  Just a few Sundays ago, I used the restored X27 service to Bay Ridge.  It made my commute so quick to Shore Road which would've required several transfers from Riverdale.  Instead I just took the BxM2, stopped for an espresso and then walked to 5th Avenue and got the X27.  

I assume you're an able bodied individual, but others aren't and their commutes may not be as simple as yours.  

The purpose of the express bus is to reduce transfers and tedious commutes.  The X29 does not duplicate the (B) / (Q).  I didn't know that the (B) / (Q) served Downtown, as the X29 does, nor ran along Coney Island Avenue.  You also have a lot of people who are disabled and the express bus makes their commutes easier from having to make transfers and try to navigate up and down stairs.

It's the same situation with the X28 on weekends.  The X28 serves areas not served by the (D) train and also provides a quick commute to Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge and other South Brooklyn communities such as Sea Gate and Bensonhurst.  Having a long subway ride plus a bus ride makes a long commute that much longer.  It's also worth noting how often the (D) is knocked out on weekends which means that you have a nightmare with a gazillion transfers just to get to Manhattan.  

Many of the people who have signed the petitions are either disabled, elderly, or both, and/or realize that the X28 is a necessity on the weekends which facilitates what can otherwise be a difficult, time-consuming commute on the subway.

I have always believed that express buses were created to provide direct service to Manhattan to people who didn't have the direct option of a subway line. The X29 has an option. And getting to Downtown is simple - you make a transfer to another train... Hence why they created a connection at Atlantic Av, and Canal Street to the (4)(5), among other lines. One seat trips are a luxury in some cases, this being one of them.

The areas served by the X28 are also accessible to buses that serve (D) stations.

The statements in bold is the only thing that has substance in this debate IMO, and I guess putting money towards this is more important than improving everyday local bus service in these areas.

I have always believed that express buses were created to provide direct service to Manhattan to people who didn't have the direct option of a subway line. The X29 has an option. And getting to Downtown is simple - you make a transfer to another train... Hence why they created a connection at Atlantic Av, and Canal Street to the (4)(5), among other lines. One seat trips are a luxury in some cases, this being one of them.

The areas served by the X28 are also accessible to buses that serve (D) stations.

The statements in bold is the only thing that has substance in this debate IMO, and I guess putting money towards this is more important than improving everyday local bus service in these areas.

I don't see what local bus service is going to do for someone whose commute requires numerous transfers, aside from give them another transfer.  As someone who lived on Staten Island and used the ferry for years and had to transfer 3 - 4 times to go to my final destination before becoming fed up and switching to the express bus with no transfers, the more transfers you have to make, the more likely your commute is going to be delayed because there are too many things that have to go right from one transfer to the next.   That's what people like to forgot. There is also the waiting in between transfer that adds to the commute. These are communities that are already far out at the end of Brooklyn, so it isn't as if they're right across the Brooklyn Bridge with a quick commute to Manhattan.

Staten Island is an entirely different situation: They don't have any direct option of a subway line.

Also, I stated that there is an issue with reliability on the B36 bus route. This issue isn't just a B36 issue, it's with all the buses in that area. There should be an investment to improve everyday local service in that area and many others. Adding express service on weekends to routes that don't need it avoids the real issue of reliability on the local routes.

Staten Island is an entirely different situation: They don't have any direct option of a subway line.

Also, I stated that there is an issue with reliability on the B36 bus route. This issue isn't just a B36 issue, it's with all the buses in that area. There should be an investment to improve everyday local service in that area and many others. Adding express service on weekends to routes that don't need it avoids the real issue of reliability on the local routes.

That's funny because the X28 carried about 300 passengers less than the X27 and somehow the X27 riders need their service on the weekends, but the X28 doesn't...  <_< The problem is Ulmer Park when it comes to local bus service in South Brooklyn.  Perfect example.  Since Jackie Gleason took over the B4, service has been much better, even though the headways aren't great.

That's funny because the X28 carried about 300 passengers less than the X27 and somehow the X27 riders need their service on the weekends, but the X28 doesn't...  <_< The problem is Ulmer Park when it comes to local bus service in South Brooklyn.  Perfect example.  Since Jackie Gleason took over the B4, service has been much better, even though the headways aren't great.

The X27 has carried about 300 less passengers than the X28 you mean, and yeah, however there are spots on the X27 where there's no direct, viable connection, to Manhattan.

And you damn right Ulmer Park is the problem - they can't even provide evenly scheduled service to the routes they operate now. Adding another task to an already messed up depot is - well, stupid. They need to fix the current issues with their routes first.

The X27 has carried about 300 less passengers than the X28 you mean, and yeah, however there are spots on the X27 where there's no direct, viable connection, to Manhattan.

And you damn right Ulmer Park is the problem - they can't even provide evenly scheduled service to the routes they operate now. Adding another task to an already messed up depot is - well, stupid. They need to fix the current issues with their routes first.

No, I meant what I said originally, which is that the X28 carried about 300 passengers less than the X27 on weekends.  For what it's worth, express bus service out of Ulmer Park is relatively reliable.  

you're basically talking to a wall dude.

Q23 has a good idea about x29 and via is a lost cause when express buses are discussed your wasting your breath he just can't realize that some express buses are just not as essential as the SI ones this is the same guy defending the WORST performing express line overall. Not gonna say the route hint it's not fast and is barely used and has highest operating costs. It can't be compared to any other line in the system either what am I?

State Senator Marty Golden and Republican City Council candidate John Quaglione are renewing their calls for a restoration of weekend bus service on the X28 line from Bath Beach to Manhattan.

The X28 should be restored, I agree, I'm not too sure about the X29, if anything can't they use the BM3 instead of the X29?

Not sure I agree. This seems to be another classic case of "I want the bus there just in case I feel like using it some day."

Besides, Golden already got back enough for his district. Whose service does he want to cut to pay for all of this?

No point

Hey, you keep quiet, you! Who cares what people like you who live there think. VG8 knows better than you that you *need* express bus service at all times. :lol:

Not sure I agree. This seems to be another classic case of "I want the bus there just in case I feel like using it some day."

Besides, Golden already got back enough for his district. Whose service does he want to cut to pay for all of this?

Golden is determined to get back EVERYTHING that his district lost and I agree with and support him 110%.  South Brooklyn as a whole lacks in transportation options.  The commutes are long and many don't live right near the subway line which means multiple transfers, so having the express bus makes the commute much more tolerable.  It's funny how the more affluent communities can shell out the taxes but they shouldn't get the services.  What a surprise.

The express buses were started precisely because of the number of transfers that some communities were required to make.  If someone needs to commute to an area not served by the (D) in Manhattan, they're looking at at least one or more transfers, esp. if they don't live within walking distance to the (D).

I notice the brick wall after VG8's last statement.

There's no wall here.  I'm one of the people who use the X27 and X28 to get to South Brooklyn, so I intend to fight to get that bus back on weekends as it makes my commute much easier.

I don't know. I kinda like the express run via the BQE/Gowanus on the X28 over waiting for the (D) to the (R) and we all know what kinds of time you have to wait for that train.

To me, I kinda think the X29 paralleled the (F) more than anything, could be wrong

Archived