South Brooklyn residents continue push for X28 weekend restoration

Via Garibaldi 8

I don't know. I kinda like the express run via the BQE/Gowanus on the X28 over waiting for the (D) to the (R) and we all know what kinds of time you have to wait for that train.

To me, I kinda think the X29 paralleled the (F) more than anything, could be wrong

Not only that but if you're not near these two trains, you've got multiple transfers in order in addition to long waits. Once Bus Time comes to Brooklyn, having the X27 and X28 on weekends will make my trips even easier.  Hopefully by then we'll have the X28 back.

Yes, the X28 weekend service had 300 less riders than the X27 weekend service.  But that's the difference between having service and not.

I only see Saturday service returning, as that this day had a sufficient amount of riders.  Unfortunately, no express bus route in the entire system operates six days a week.  And the planners have become apprehensive towards such a situation--they insist that it must also operate on Sunday.  (BTW, the Q77, the only local bus route that currently operates six days a week, will have Sunday service beginning June 2014.)

If Golden wants weekend X28 service so much, he should fund it.

Yes, the X28 weekend service had 300 less riders than the X27 weekend service.  But that's the difference between having service and not.

I only see Saturday service returning, as that this day had a sufficient amount of riders.  Unfortunately, no express bus route in the entire system operates six days a week.  And the planners have become apprehensive towards such a situation--they insist that it must also operate on Sunday.  (BTW, the Q77, the only local bus route that currently operates six days a week, will have Sunday service beginning June 2014.)

If Golden wants weekend X28 service so much, he should fund it.

All the BM's and the QM15 run weekdays and saturdays.

Golden is determined to get back EVERYTHING that his district lost and I agree with and support him 110%.  South Brooklyn as a whole lacks in transportation options.  The commutes are long and many don't live right near the subway line which means multiple transfers, so having the express bus makes the commute much more tolerable.  It's funny how the more affluent communities can shell out the taxes but they shouldn't get the services.  What a surprise.

The express buses were started precisely because of the number of transfers that some communities were required to make.  If someone needs to commute to an area not served by the (D) in Manhattan, they're looking at at least one or more transfers, esp. if they don't live within walking distance to the (D).

There's no wall here.  I'm one of the people who use the X27 and X28 to get to South Brooklyn, so I intend to fight to get that bus back on weekends as it makes my commute much easier.

That. In bold. That is the reason why I don't back this plan... because LOCAL service needs improvement first!

That, in Italics - is blatant favoritism, and shows no respect for the common commuter that can't afford the express fare costs.

In red, is what I said about express service - reworded... and adapted to your argument. It's called improve LOCAL service...

And in green, is the climatic backing - it's for you and people like you - that use the service. Problem is, not everyone can enjoy the express service and have to use the local. And before the MTA even thinks about putting money toward your luxury, they should put money towards improving the LOCAL service, which isn't a luxury - it's a common necessity. I don't see you saying much about Southern Brooklyn local service in this debate, just that statement in bold.

Once Bus Time comes to Brooklyn, having the X27 and X28 on weekends will make my trips even easier.  Hopefully by then we'll have the X28 back.

And to this... How about how BusTime could help the B36?

I'm contradicting my own debate - to prove a point made in my entire debate - made in the post above: "And before the MTA even thinks about putting money toward your luxury, they should put money towards improving the LOCAL service, which isn't a luxury - it's a common necessity. I don't see you saying much about Southern Brooklyn local service in this debate, just that statement in bold."

That... is my issue with this plan - you (you VG8, Sen. Golden, and anyone backing the plan) give a middle finger to the real issues (LOCAL service) and put blame on the depot, but no backing to fix it...

The issue actually is will enough people ride it if the service is provided. Example: When I was in the Army and staying in Fort Hamilton, I took the X27 from 57 St back to Fort Hamilton on Saturday. Would you believe there were only 3 of us on the entire route on that bus?

The issue actually is will enough people ride it if the service is provided. Example: When I was in the Army and staying in Fort Hamilton, I took the X27 from 57 St back to Fort Hamilton on Saturday. Would you believe there were only 3 of us on the entire route on that bus?

For me its not surprising, tbh..

@Rick44 for your information, I have spent a great deal of time throwing my support behind local bus restorations in South Brooklyn, as has Senator Golden. Who do you think helped to get the B4, B64, B2, and B37 restored? I was at one of the meetings for the B4 and spoke about the need to have bus restored. Senator Golden and other local politicans in South Brooklyn to get back what was taken away.

@Rick44 for your information, I have spent a great deal of time throwing my support behind local bus restorations in South Brooklyn, as has Senator Golden. Who do you think helped to get the B4, B64, B2, and B37 restored? I was at one of the meetings for the B4 and spoke about the need to have bus restored. Senator Golden and other local politicans in South Brooklyn to get back what was taken away.

Thank you for not being bias towards local service. I was there too, and I didn't know you were.

Yes, I would believe that.

Most (not all, but most) people who "want" weekend express bus service have no plans to acutally use it. They want the bus to be there "just in case" they feel like going somewhere at some hypothetical future time, knowing full well that such a time will likely never arise.  That is what taxis are for.

Yes, I would believe that.

Most (not all, but most) people who "want" weekend express bus service have no plans to acutally use it. They want the bus to be there "just in case" they feel like going somewhere at some hypothetical future time, knowing full well that such a time will likely never arise.  That is what taxis are for.

That's a ridiculous statement.  There are many people who need express buses to go to work, college (yes some students have class on weekends) doctor's appointments and so on.  It's funny that it's only express bus riders that supposedly just want their service to be there "just because". How dare us fight to keep service that we need.  I travel a lot on weekends on the express bus to go to tutor sessions, catch up on work in my office, run errands and the like, so I don't just want express bus service to be there just in case.   <_<

Well that's interesting... You were going back to Bay Ridge on a Saturday (morning?) and you expected there to be tons of riders? Give me a break.  The subways can be just as light in some cases.  Doesn't mean it isn't needed.  Ridership fluctuates on ALL services (local buses, subways, LIRR, Metro-North and express buses), so your point is mute.

That's a ridiculous statement.  There are many people who need express buses to go to work, college (yes some students have class on weekends) doctor's appointments and so on.  It's funny that it's only express bus riders that supposedly just want their service to be there "just because". How dare us fight to keep service that we need.  I travel a lot on weekends on the express bus to go to tutor sessions, catch up on work in my office, run errands and the like, so I don't just want express bus service to be there just in case.   <_<

Well that's interesting... You were going back to Bay Ridge on a Saturday (morning?) and you expected there to be tons of riders? Give me a break.  The subways can be just as light in some cases.  Doesn't mean it isn't needed.  Ridership fluctuates on ALL services (local buses, subways, LIRR, Metro-North and express buses), so your point is mute.

You keep saying "I do..." for justification. Just a quick reminder, the express buses have to have actual usage. They're not your personal shuttle service and the MTA can't afford to run services for you alone. So far, all justification for these extra services has in fact been of the "well, we *might* need it some day, so run in at all times" variety. That doesn't work. Fares need to be paid to help fund the service. If three people a day use the service, it's not worth it no matter how disabled or elderly those three riders are (also, Access-A-Ride exists). There's probably a market for Saturday X28 service, and the (MTA) will eventually bring it back, but don't complain if patronage sucks again and the Saturday service gets cut. For all the people demanding service, they sure as hell better use it or lose it.

@Culver... That's right because I was the only one who used the X28... Forget about the other 700 odd passengers. Like I said ALL services see light usage at some point. That doesn't mean that people should lose their service because of it. The same way I've fought to have the B2, B4, B64 and B37 restored is the same way I will continue to fight for the X28. I wonder if you would be outspoken if this bus ran through a poor neighborhood... The poor folks need their service, but somehow upper middle class and middle class communities don't. What a surprise...

@Culver... That's right because I was the only one who used the X28... Forget about the other 700 odd passengers. Like I said ALL services see light usage at some point. That doesn't mean that people should lose their service because of it. The same way I've fought to have the B2, B4, B64 and B37 restored is the same way I will continue to fight for the X28. I wonder if you would be outspoken if this bus ran through a poor neighborhood... The poor folks need their service, but somehow upper middle class and middle class communities don't. What a surprise...

This is why none of us can have normal discussions with you. The X28 weekend services never see heavy use. That's the whole problem. I'm fine with the service, if the people bitching about it not being there (and this is critical) *actually use it.* Unfortunately, those same people who demand it then still stay in their Hummers and Range Rovers.

Also, seeing as you consider middle and lower-class people to be yucky subway-dwellers, let's not bring that into the conversation. Everybody deserves transit, rich or poor. If, however, nobody uses a service, it can't remain because of this whole money thing. The (MTA) can't run empty buses around Dyker on weekends as an insurance policy for people who want to drive on weekends and only demand the buses be there just in case.

Also, you show pretty damn strong signs of delusions of grandeur. You've convinced yourself (and keep trying to convince us) that you are personally responsible for us unwashed massed receiving transit because you and only you are what causes service increases. Doesn't help your argument when you start sounding like an unstable person missing out on their meds.

That's a ridiculous statement. There are many people who need express buses to go to work, college (yes some students have class on weekends) doctor's appointments and so on. It's funny that it's only express bus riders that supposedly just want their service to be there "just because". How dare us fight to keep service that we need. I travel a lot on weekends on the express bus to go to tutor sessions, catch up on work in my office, run errands and the like, so I don't just want express bus service to be there just in case. <_<

Well that's interesting... You were going back to Bay Ridge on a Saturday (morning?) and you expected there to be tons of riders? Give me a break. The subways can be just as light in some cases. Doesn't mean it isn't needed. Ridership fluctuates on ALL services (local buses, subways, LIRR, Metro-North and express buses), so your point is mute.

Should've been more specific. Meant I went on a Saturday afternoon. I wasn't expecting anything really, just making an observation based on that one experience

I used to have a run on the X28 on Saturdays. I did one round trip on my first half and one on second half. If I tell you that I carried 10 people combined for both trips that would be a lot. It was the best run I ever worked.

I'm sorry, but "easy work for the bus driver" is not, by itself, a viable reason to run any route.  (One woman actually stated at one of the "Doomsday" hearings that a particular route was essential only because it was easy overtime for her bus driver husband.)

This is why none of us can have normal discussions with you. The X28 weekend services never see heavy use. That's the whole problem. I'm fine with the service, if the people bitching about it not being there (and this is critical) *actually use it.* Unfortunately, those same people who demand it then still stay in their Hummers and Range Rovers.

Also, seeing as you consider middle and lower-class people to be yucky subway-dwellers, let's not bring that into the conversation. Everybody deserves transit, rich or poor. If, however, nobody uses a service, it can't remain because of this whole money thing. The (MTA) can't run empty buses around Dyker on weekends as an insurance policy for people who want to drive on weekends and only demand the buses be there just in case.

Also, you show pretty damn strong signs of delusions of grandeur. You've convinced yourself (and keep trying to convince us) that you are personally responsible for us unwashed massed receiving transit because you and only you are what causes service increases. Doesn't help your argument when you start sounding like an unstable person missing out on their meds.

There's no delusion at all.  I along with hundreds of other residents and numerous politicians from the area wrote in and petitioned and it was that which helped to get lines like the B37 restored.  The (MTA) had no interest in restoring some of the bus lines.  I know because I've been going to the meetings that have been held, so don't sit here and tell me about something you know nothing about.  Finally, 700 people isn't exactly no one, but you keep believing that.  And yes, let's bring class into the conversation because it seems as if it's only certain neighborhoods that you have a problem with having service.  Several other neighborhoods have yelled for their service to be restored and not one peep out of you because of course they need their service, but certain communities don't... 

I think they're running the X27 too damn frequent on the weekends. Buses should run every 60 minutes, not every 30-60.

If the X28 is brought back, MTA might probably do that same set-up as well. That isn't gonna help, as buses would be emptier.

Really?  Have you used the X27 ever?  I've used it several times since it's been restored and the service is justified.  In fact it ends too early to be honest.

Should've been more specific. Meant I went on a Saturday afternoon. I wasn't expecting anything really, just making an observation based on that one experience

Well seriously, how many riders did you expect on a Saturday afternoon going back to Bay Ridge?  Light usage going in the opposite direction is normal on all services at that time of the day, not just the X27. 

you're wasting your time dude this is the same guy who defends the weakest Express bus in the entire system!!!

There's no delusion at all.  I along with hundreds of other residents and numerous politicians from the area wrote in and petitioned and it was that which helped to get lines like the B37 restored.  The (MTA) had no interest in restoring some of the bus lines.  I know because I've been going to the meetings that have been held, so don't sit here and tell me about something you know nothing about.  Finally, 700 people isn't exactly no one, but you keep believing that.  And yes, let's bring class into the conversation because it seems as if it's only certain neighborhoods that you have a problem with having service.  Several other neighborhoods have yelled for their service to be restored and not one peep out of you because of course they need their service, but certain communities don't... 

Really?  Have you used the X27 ever?  I've used it several times since it's been restored and the service is justified.  In fact it ends too early to be honest.

Well seriously, how many riders did you expect on a Saturday afternoon going back to Bay Ridge?  Light usage going in the opposite direction is normal on all services at that time of the day, not just the X27. 

In your defense 700 on Saturday is way more than 200 and 400 on weekdays. And way more than the BM lines put together!!!

Archived