Official Rapid Transit Trivia Thread

East New York

... Actually, if you read that closely, that's just one author's guess as to why there was low ridership.

P008486.gif

The 5 (NX) trips were just turned into 70(N)s, ergo the same number of trains were still running along that section of track... ergo track capacity wasn't why they cancelled it. (Track capacity may have slowed down the NX, making it more effective to just run them as Ns instead, but it didn't prohibit them from running it.)

Splitting hairs, of course. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess #2... this one also might not qualify since it's also a connection between two divisions, but I'm pretty sure it was IND built, so I'll throw it out there.

A train heading railroad (and compass) north on the Concourse line can enter Concourse yard and exit railroad south on the Jerome Avenue line without reversing.

EDIT: Sorry, posted too slow to see that hint.

I looked around there for a while (that's where I came up with Concourse Yard), but couldn't quite find it. I pieced it together from a combination of tidbits on Wikipedia.

Longish question from me...

Name every line post-Chrystie that has had a "four-borough run" - in regular service, of course - either four different boroughs, or entering the same borough twice. Also, include at least one pair of qualifying termini for each line.

A few of them (the 70(M)(Mx)(M) has at least one for each color - and hopefully that answer was obvious) will have more than one pair of correct termini, and getting as many as you guys can would be great, but the question's answered once you get every line and at least one pair for each.

The 1980's version of the CC or C train that ran from Bedford Park Blvd to Rockaway Park during the rush hours, one of the very few lines that traveled to four Boroughs - the Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens.

Mike

The (B) was another one around the time the 63 St trunk line opened and had the following terminals...

-Bedford Pk Blvd, Bronx

-21 St- Queensbridge, Queens

-145 St, Manhattan

-Coney Island, Brooklyn

Archived