Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

Other possible places: Orchard Beach, New York Botanical Garden, City Island

Example of Queens to Orchard Beach travel

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2067382-Jackson_Hts_to_Orchard_Beach_sans_Manhattan-New_York_City_New_York.html

You made my day with this LOL. But the (7) is great for that. Bx29 to city island can be reached from Pelham bay (6) . Do tell me more.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Cut the Bx36 to parkchester (6)...

- Have the Bx27 have 2 patterns/branches/variants/whatever...

1- current 27 b/w West Farms rd & Clason pt

2- from west farms rd (terminal), take westchester av to hugh grant cir., around hugh grant cir. to the cross bronx service rd, down white plains rd, to Clason pt.

That's a very easy way to stem (add) ridership on the 27....

---------

Sending Bx27's north of the (6) is a good way to have that route lose a significant amt. of ridership.... the xfer from off the Bx11 (or the Bx35) to the 27 is a (common) commute by those that do not want to put up w/ the 36 to washington hgts. or whatever..... this is one of several reasons why I don't agree with taking 27's away from the terminal over there by west farms rd.... Even the old suggestion from some, of combining 35's with 27's IMO makes more sense than running 27's to Bedford park.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Mnrr to CT

Even with tolls, it's cheaper and faster to drive. It's also less of a pain in the ass, and everyone in Eastern Queens owns a car.

Other possible places: Orchard Beach, New York Botanical Garden, City Island

Example of Queens to Orchard Beach travel

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2067382-Jackson_Hts_to_Orchard_Beach_sans_Manhattan-New_York_City_New_York.html

1. Jackson Heights is not Eastern Queens (which is basically everything east of the Van Wyck and north of Jamaica Av)

2. Eastern Queens residents are usually headed to Jones Beach, Long Beach, or Fire Island. Those using mass transit to a beach will go to the beaches around Coney, or the Rockaways.

Which stops on the bxm9 get the most use?

No idea, but the bus is well used since there's nothing there to get to the city elsewise.  I know the parts that it serves particularly near the water are fairly affluent so they certainly use it.  I've seen some late ones coming to the city on Sunday nights with people on them. I actually think service should run a bit later to Throggs Neck.  Something comparable to what Co-Op City gets seeing that there is nothing else nearby, but then again those people probably drive to the BxM8 if anything which runs a tad bit later most days.

No idea, but the bus is well used since there's nothing there to get to the city elsewise.  I know the parts that it serves particularly near the water are fairly affluent so they certainly use it.  I've seen some late ones coming to the city on Sunday nights with people on them. I actually think service should run a bit later to Throggs Neck.  Something comparable to what Co-Op City gets seeing that there is nothing else nearby, but then again those people probably drive to the BxM8 if anything which runs a tad bit later most days.

He's asked that question before (in a rather snooty tone) & I remember telling him to go scope the route out for himself, since he wanted to be an ass about it.... Now here we are & he asks the same question about the route again (minus the attitude this time around)....

Usage on the BxM9 itself is spread out; there's really no dominant stop per se (like what QJT is inquiring about)....

The E. Tremont av "side" of the route gets just about as much passenger activity as that of the portion/side of the route on the other side of the throgs neck expressway (edgewater park & points north; the areas particularly near the water that you're talking about).... The BxM9 is a well thought out route IMO....

I remember when a few folks in the past were suggesting combining BxM7a's with the BxM9 like this, which to me was a stupid idea.....

Yeah, I do know that 44th and Madison is a big one on the BxM9 and Sunday nights that last BxM9 to the city usually has a few folks on it which I was impressed by. I was wondering why some Bronx express bus lines run so late but I see why. The trips aren't very long, they're well used overall and not highly expensive in comparison to say some Queens or Brooklyn lines. The 22:00 BxM2's for example get good use to the city on Sundays and they're way quicker than the (1) to the subway. Throggs Neck is so isolated that the subway to the local bus has to be a real schlepp.

I think quagmire is probably thinking about some super express route between Throggs Neck and Eastern Queens.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

No, he asked about the BxM9 because I think he was gonna do something stupid with it.

Not sure what you're attempting to correct me on; never stated any reason as to why he asked about the BxM9...

All I said is that he asked that same question about the BxM9 before - That's it.

I personally don't care why he asked about it, especially considering the source....

Combining BxM8's with 9? SMH. That's worse than combining the 7 with the 8. I didn't give a damn if it was off peak.

Yeah, I remember when that was being suggested too (combining Bxm7's with the BxM7a).....

If it wasn't combining it w/ the 7 (or 7b), it was combining it with the 9.....

Now that the 7a has its own route number, both those suggestions have ceased......

Throggs Neck is so isolated that the subway to the local bus has to be a real schlepp.

I've always found the Bx40/42 to the (6) to be a PITA.... for w/e the reason, those buses crawwwl.....

Edited by B35 via Church

People making such stupid suggestions should see the ridership on those BxM routes. The BxM8 is well used and combining them with the BxM7's would be stupid. The BxM7 carries over 900,000 thousand passengers a year, and the BxM8 carries close to 500,000 passengers a year.

People making such stupid suggestions should see the ridership on those BxM routes. The BxM8 is well used and combining them with the BxM7's would be stupid. The BxM7 carries almost 1 million passengers and the BxM8 carries well over 500,000 passengers a year.

You know that & I know that.... Problem is, the Express bus haters don't care about the intricacies of the routes - they only care about cutting service as much as they can.... You even had the hardcore haters (on SC) that blatantly stated that express bus service in this city should cease to exist..... Thankfully, you don't hear near as much of a peep from them as much as you used to in this little transit "community".....

Edited by B35 via Church

And that's because before they had no one to challenge those baseless claims... I've read numerous forums and some of the "Bronx proposals" for express bus lines is a joke. Cutting the BxM18 for example and running the other BxM's Downtown when it primarily serves riders in Riverdale, but also gives a transfer to riders in the Bronx and Queens. In addition to that, extending the other BxM's would be a huge waste cost wise.

My other "favorite" is having the BxM2 serve Washington Heights, which would make the BxM2 rather useless from a speed factor. The commute for those in Riverdale would be extended by at least 30 minutes with the traffic along Broadway and hardly anyone would use it. Just look at the BxM1 and see who uses it primarily in Inwood.

I get what you're saying... I'm still saying they didn't care about any of that....

How much riders it got, who rides them, how the routes were/are used, etc etc... That is what I mean by "intricacies"....

Regardless if there were more ppl. around to challenge such suggestions back then, they wouldn't all of a sudden see the light & leave their stupid behind...... Instead of having been unchallenged (that they were back then), you would've had the haters trying to justify/further pushing their disdain for express bus service for that much longer.....

Anyone that argues that express buses shouldn't exist, I don't want to continue arguing with.... The notion is that silly to me.

You're not gonna brow beat stupid out of... stupid.

I get what you're saying. I just think most of these people have never used the service and just look at maps. I never understood the disdain personally. Gorgor's "Riverdale" schedule is another one that was funny. Do they really need all of that service? The answer is yes, because without it buses would be SRO. Then again there is a disdain for buses in general by some, even local buses. I'm not the most subway crazed person, but I'm also not so stupid to understand when they're needed.

I get what you're saying. I just think most of these people have never used the service and just look at maps. I never understood the disdain personally. Gorgor's "Riverdale" schedule is another one that was funny. Do they really need all of that service? The answer is yes, because without it buses would be SRO. Then again there is a disdain for buses in general by some, even local buses. I'm not the most subway crazed person, but I'm also not so stupid to understand when they're needed.

Well you should understand that the lot of folks making as many suggestions that they have (be it local buses, express buses, w/e) haven't taken these services - I'll go as far as to say that they don't care to....

The other side of it all, man, ppl just wanna "mapmaker" & shit... Very few folks actually care enough to want to understand the entire bus/subway network as it is (used)...... Hell, Remember that guy from Canada in the subway section that had everything allll planned out (in his mind), then later professed to saying that he came out with his proposals, due to the fact that the NYC subway system is the greatest in the world (or something to that effect).....

The disdain for express buses is directly related to the disdain (or flat out envy) for those of a higher class than themselves... That's the conclusion I've come to over the years.... The opposing argument to that should be quite obvious to you - why don't they use the local buses & subways? They think they're too good for them, etc etc..... We've been over these types of discussions on these transit forums numerous times......

Don't know what riverdale schedule of Gorgor's you're talking about, so I won't comment on that....

There is most definitely a disdain for buses in general - It's actually one of the reasons I signed up to RD back in 05 (or whenever the hell it was).... Shit, my own mother despises buses (public transit, charter, school, w/e)..... I was one of the few ppl. on here back in the late 90's & early 2000's in this "community" that would go up against the folks in the subway sections of forums that used to stay shitting on buses; I was never on that pro-(one mode of transit)/anti-(other mode of transit) shit like some folks in the subway sections used to exude the attitude of.... I've always felt as if there are more hardcore subway fanners (well period, but especially those) that despise buses, compared to busfanners that despise subways.... All these years on these forums & The only person I can think of that was a hardcore busfanner (enough) that hated the NYC subway, was that dude Forest Glen......

Conclusion - On a general transit forum, You'll always have more folks posting in the subway section of a forum, compared to its bus section.... It's even evident here on NYCTF..... The fact is, more ppl. find the subway more interesting than they do a bus, and I personally don't have a problem with that..... It's the ones that go the extra mile to dump on buses, are the ones I have a problem with....

Edited by B35 via Church

- Cut the Bx36 to parkchester (6)...

- Have the Bx27 have 2 patterns/branches/variants/whatever...

1- current 27 b/w West Farms rd & Clason pt

2- from west farms rd (terminal), take westchester av to hugh grant cir., around hugh grant cir. to the cross bronx service rd, down white plains rd, to Clason pt.

That's a very easy way to stem (add) ridership on the 27....

---------

Sending Bx27's north of the (6) is a good way to have that route lose a significant amt. of ridership.... the xfer from off the Bx11 (or the Bx35) to the 27 is a (common) commute by those that do not want to put up w/ the 36 to washington hgts. or whatever..... this is one of several reasons why I don't agree with taking 27's away from the terminal over there by west farms rd.... Even the old suggestion from some, of combining 35's with 27's IMO makes more sense than running 27's to Bedford park.....

well hence why bx35 is extended to compensate or 11. If more go to the 11.

No, he asked about the BxM9 because I think he was gonna do something stupid with it. QJT is still on this whole Bronx-Eastern Queens tip. Combining BxM8's with 9? SMH. That's worse than combining the 7 with the 8. I didn't give a damn if it was off peak.

your kidding right.

Even with tolls, it's cheaper and faster to drive. It's also less of a pain in the ass, and everyone in Eastern Queens owns a car.

1. Jackson Heights is not Eastern Queens (which is basically everything east of the Van Wyck and north of Jamaica Av)

2. Eastern Queens residents are usually headed to Jones Beach, Long Beach, or Fire Island. Those using mass transit to a beach will go to the beaches around Coney, or the Rockaways.

I see you only strengthened my argument for an eastern queens/ Bronx LTD if that is true about long beach. Long beach trains stop in SE queens on weekends. Schedule changes to some LIRR lines can help like Brooklyn bound Hempstead trains arriving in Jamaica minutes before Montauk and Babylon departures can help. Hint nyct doesn't have to be for every need.

Yeah, I do know that 44th and Madison is a big one on the BxM9 and Sunday nights that last BxM9 to the city usually has a few folks on it which I was impressed by. I was wondering why some Bronx express bus lines run so late but I see why. The trips aren't very long, they're well used overall and not highly expensive in comparison to say some Queens or Brooklyn lines. The 22:00 BxM2's for example get good use to the city on Sundays and they're way quicker than the (1) to the subway. Throggs Neck is so isolated that the subway to the local bus has to be a real schlepp.

I think quagmire is probably thinking about some super express route between Throggs Neck and Eastern Queens.

It depends how well used are the stops north of 44th in Manhattan are. Same thing goes for bxm6 about it's Manhattan use as well since it's the most efficient.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

I thought they were cheaper to operate than most QM& BM lines.

People making such stupid suggestions should see the ridership on those BxM routes. The BxM8 is well used and combining them with the BxM7's would be stupid. The BxM7 carries over 900,000 thousand passengers a year, and the BxM8 carries close to 500,000 passengers a year.

Don't you mean impractical due to high ridership.

Well you should understand that the lot of folks making as many suggestions that they have (be it local buses, express buses, w/e) haven't taken these services - I'll go as far as to say that they don't care to....

The other side of it all, man, ppl just wanna "mapmaker" & shit... Very few folks actually care enough to want to understand the entire bus/subway network as it is (used)...... Hell, Remember that guy from Canada in the subway section that had everything allll planned out (in his mind), then later professed to saying that he came out with his proposals, due to the fact that the NYC subway system is the greatest in the world (or something to that effect).....

The disdain for express buses is directly related to the disdain (or flat out envy) for those of a higher class than themselves... That's the conclusion I've come to over the years.... The opposing argument to that should be quite obvious to you - why don't they use the local buses & subways? They think they're too good for them, etc etc..... We've been over these types of discussions on these transit forums numerous times......

Don't know what riverdale schedule of Gorgor's you're talking about, so I won't comment on that....

There is most definitely a disdain for buses in general - It's actually one of the reasons I signed up to RD back in 05 (or whenever the hell it was).... Shit, my own mother despises buses (public transit, charter, school, w/e)..... I was one of the few ppl. on here back in the late 90's & early 2000's in this "community" that would go up against the folks in the subway sections of forums that used to stay shitting on buses; I was never on that pro-(one mode of transit)/anti-(other mode of transit) shit like some folks in the subway sections used to exude the attitude of.... I've always felt as if there are more hardcore subway fanners (well period, but especially those) that despise buses, compared to busfanners that despise subways.... All these years on these forums & The only person I can think of that was a hardcore busfanner (enough) that hated the NYC subway, was that dude Forest Glen......

Conclusion - On a general transit forum, You'll always have more folks posting in the subway section of a forum, compared to its bus section.... It's even evident here on NYCTF..... The fact is, more ppl. find the subway more interesting than they do a bus, and I personally don't have a problem with that..... It's the ones that go the extra mile to dump on buses, are the ones I have a problem with....

lol... Meanwhile only a handful here actually use the LIRR or Metro North and yet I don't hear nearly as many people b*tching about those services and who they serve.

I thought they were cheaper to operate than most QM& BM lines.

Don't you mean impractical due to high ridership.

Correct.

lol... Meanwhile only a handful here actually use the LIRR or Metro North and yet I don't hear nearly as many people b*tching about those services and who they serve.

....and you're not going to either.

The stigma against trains is nowhere near as potent as that of a bus.... You don't hear the shaming of the occupation of being a t/o, but you damn sure hear it about "driving a stinking bus for a living".... The thinking is, trains are supposed to move masses amt's of people, no matter the class of people.... Whereas the bus is left to set to move low(er) class people.... There was one dude that even said that the term "commuter bus" is oxymoronic...

That tells me more than enough.... there is clearly a hatred for buses in general.

Edited by B35 via Church

BxM4, BxM6 and BxM10 (BxM6/10 combination, BxM10 extension, BxM4 extension)

BxM10 extension proposal: Convert part of its deadhead distance into revenue service, down Boston Road. Stops added would be as follows: East 222 Street, Baychester Avenue, Bivonia Street (Boston Secor Houses), and Conner Street. This accounts for about 80 percent of the BxM10's deadhead distance; the remaining deadhead would be down Conner Street.

BxM6: This route is the the third-worst performing express bus route on weekends in the Bronx, averaging about 630 weekend riders, while the BxM10 is the second-best performing route, averaging about 1,400 weekend riders. SOURCE: http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_weekend.htm

As such, I would propose a reroute of the BxM10 on alternating trips on weekdays to serve Parkchester, along with a slight reduction in the service span to Parkchester (not unlike how it was under the NYBS days, when the BxM6 had limited Saturday service). Routing: From a start at Conner Street/Provost Avenue and Boston Road: regular BxM10 route to White Plains Road, then: left at White Plains Road, slight left onto Unionport Road, around Met Oval, right onto Metropolitan Avenue going past Macy's, right at Hugh J. Grant Circle, left on East 177 Street, and express to Manhattan. (Return to Bronx via same route.) Schedule-wise, the BxM10 would have such trips depart 20 minutes after the hour, while trips operating via East 180 Street (the one stop that would be missed by such trips via Parkchester) would depart on the hour.

BxM4: I don't know how well-received this would be by the City of Yonkers or the WCDOT, but to improve ridership, might an extension to Empire City be worth it? Such an extension would operate as follows: continue past Katonah Avenue onto Kimball Avenue, left onto McLean Avenue, right onto Central Park Avenue, up to Yonkers Avenue, and terminate. Return via same route.

Additional stops at: Kimball and McLean, McLean and Aqueduct, McLean and McCollum, Central Park and Hall, Central Park and Clark, and Yonkers Avenue.

As it is, Yonkers Avenue is a deadhead route for the BxM4 and BxM11. This would also potentially save WCDOT on having to run additional Route 20 buses between just Cross County and the Bronx.

Edited by aemoreira81

....and you're not going to either.

The stigma against trains is nowhere near as potent as that of a bus.... You don't hear the shaming of the occupation of being a t/o, but you damn sure hear it about "driving a stinking bus for a living".... The thinking is, trains are supposed to move masses amt's of people, no matter the class of people.... Whereas the bus is left to set to move low(er) class people.... There was one dude that even said that the term "commuter bus" is oxymoronic...

That tells me more than enough.... there is clearly a hatred for buses in general.

LOL@lower class of people...

BxM10 extension proposal: Convert part of its deadhead distance into revenue service, down Boston Road. Stops added would be as follows: East 222 Street, Baychester Avenue, Bivonia Street (Boston Secor Houses), and Conner Street. This accounts for about 80 percent of the BxM10's deadhead distance; the remaining deadhead would be down Conner Street.

BxM6: This route is the the third-worst performing express bus route on weekends in the Bronx, averaging about 630 weekend riders, while the BxM10 is the second-best performing route, averaging about 1,400 weekend riders. SOURCE: http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_weekend.htm

As such, I would propose a reroute of the BxM10 on alternating trips on weekdays to serve Parkchester, along with a slight reduction in the service span to Parkchester (not unlike how it was under the NYBS days, when the BxM6 had limited Saturday service). Routing: From a start at Conner Street/Provost Avenue and Boston Road: regular BxM10 route to White Plains Road, then: left at White Plains Road, slight left onto Unionport Road, around Met Oval, right onto Metropolitan Avenue going past Macy's, right at Hugh J. Grant Circle, left on East 177 Street, and express to Manhattan. (Return to Bronx via same route.) Schedule-wise, the BxM10 would have such trips depart 20 minutes after the hour, while trips operating via East 180 Street (the one stop that would be missed by such trips via Parkchester) would depart on the hour.

BxM4: I don't know how well-received this would be by the City of Yonkers or the WCDOT, but to improve ridership, might an extension to Empire City be worth it? Such an extension would operate as follows: continue past Katonah Avenue onto Kimball Avenue, left onto McLean Avenue, right onto Central Park Avenue, up to Yonkers Avenue, and terminate. Return via same route.

Additional stops at: Kimball and McLean, McLean and Aqueduct, McLean and McCollum, Central Park and Hall, Central Park and Clark, and Yonkers Avenue.

As it is, Yonkers Avenue is a deadhead route for the BxM4 and BxM11. This would also potentially save WCDOT on having to run additional Route 20 buses between just Cross County and the Bronx.

LOL... The folks in Parkchester would not go for that.  

#2 the BxM10 gets A LOT of ridership from the medical staff at Montefiore Medical Center and Montefiore is expanding like crazy which is why

I'm sure they would lobby heavily not to have the BxM10 altered in any way shape or fashion, not to mention Morris Park residents not wanting that.

The BxM4 would have to see some ridership for that extension to go through otherwise forget it.

Also, the BxM6 is 8th overall in ridership on the weekends under (MTA) Bus and ridership went up so I'm not sure why you're so hell bent on combining it with the BxM10.  It's not the first time that combination has been suggested either.

They will laugh and continue to use metro-north BXM4 is a lost cause. As for bxm 6 I have something else in mind but it depends on how well used it is in upper Manhattan.

LOL... The folks in Parkchester would not go for that.  

#2 the BxM10 gets A LOT of ridership from the medical staff at Montefiore Medical Center and Montefiore is expanding like crazy which is why

I'm sure they would lobby heavily not to have the BxM10 altered in any way shape or fashion, not to mention Morris Park residents not wanting that.

The BxM4 would have to see some ridership for that extension to go through otherwise forget it.

Also, the BxM6 is 8th overall in ridership on the weekends under (MTA) Bus and ridership went up so I'm not sure why you're so hell bent on combining it with the BxM10.  It's not the first time that combination has been suggested either.

How much of that staff at Montefiore medical center resides in queens?

They will laugh and continue to use metro-north BXM4 is a lost cause. As for bxm 6 I have something else in mind but it depends on how well used it is in upper Manhattan.

How much of that staff at Montefiore medical center resides in queens?

LOL... They obviously live in Manhattan... Some live in Riverdale.