Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

I'm referring to segments served by routes :bus_bullet_bx7: , :bus_bullet_bx10: , :bus_bullet_bx20: , :bus_bullet_bxm1: , :bus_bullet_bxm2: & :bus_bullet_bxm18: . Now that you mention the Rail Link you can factor that in as well, but I'm leaning toward it being mainly in part to MTA routes bunching.

Bx20 runs like crap and is rush hr only. Extension to yonkers raceway can be the better way to do it via manhattan college parkway and I-87 sad ain't it. Nevermind parkways that will not be needed. 

bx20 is a  :deadhorse:  maybe yonkers raceway and connections to W Bee-line can work miracles for this line it needs something.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bx20 runs like crap and is rush hr only. Extension to yonkers raceway can be the better way to do it via manhattan college parkway and I-87 sad ain't it. Nevermind parkways that will not be needed. 

bx20 is a  :deadhorse:  maybe yonkers raceway and connections to W Bee-line can work miracles for this line it needs something.

Perhaps, but for the mean time I'd say the current options suffice. Not many neighborhoods have such a plethora of options like what Riverdale has.

Perhaps, but for the mean time I'd say the current options suffice. Not many neighborhoods have such a plethora of options like what Riverdale has.

ahem look at the other communities in NYC I beg to differ. Look at jamacia they got LIRR and subways and buses all over. Co-op city is spoiled the only thing they don't have is an airport bus.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

So I propose that Q33 Wlliamsburg LGA bus you propose before be extend to Co Op City

err dude that line is already partially being made it's called Q70& I heard that there is talk among MTA planners of a downtown Brooklyn to LGA route anyway. Co-op nah that bx20 extension is no more than 15 mins.or less. Edited by qjtransitmaster

I'm referring to segments served by routes :bus_bullet_bx7: , :bus_bullet_bx10: , :bus_bullet_bx20: , :bus_bullet_bxm1: , :bus_bullet_bxm2: & :bus_bullet_bxm18: . Now that you mention the Rail Link you can factor that in as well, but I'm leaning toward it being mainly in part to MTA routes bunching.

in Riverdale i assume it's in part to having multiple bus stops along the major corridors being served by up to six bus routes at any given time.

Elsewhere in The Bronx, it's also likely due to segments where multiple routes share the same stops. There are other high density areas with bunching as well, Co Op City for example.

The bunching doesn't occur in Riverdale because Riverdale doesn't see traffic like that.  The Henry Hudson Parkway is generally quiet and Riverdale Avenue isn't a problem either. The bunching occurs on the Bx10 down in the Bronx.  For the Bx7 and Bx20 it must be in Manhattan in Inwood or Washington Heights.  The only time there is a "back up" here is due to a truck or something being parked and clogging up the narrow service road.  Other than that traffic is not a problem here.

what causes the bunching?

in Riverdale i assume it's in part to having multiple bus stops along the major corridors being served by up to six bus routes at any given time.

Elsewhere in The Bronx, it's also likely due to segments where multiple routes share the same stops.

There are other high density areas with bunching as well, Co Op City for example.

Bus bunching....

- With the Bx7, it's simply due to how utilized it is per stop heading towards either direction of the route....

In other words, a lot of the Bx7 ridership is spread out on the Manhattan end & on the Bronx end as well.....

- With the Bx10, it's due to how spread out the ridership is b/w N. Riverdale & 231st st (1) & how much it crawls b/w 231st st (1) & 205th (D)....

If we're talking about NB service on either of the routes, once the Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil masses are dropped off on its respective spurs south of 246th, you get to a point where buses rather close to being empty) north of 246th..... Meaning, the pace is picked up north of that point..... This explains why you often see bus bunching from both routes as they're approaching its northern terminal (263rd)....

The bunching doesn't occur in Riverdale because Riverdale doesn't see traffic like that.  The Henry Hudson Parkway is generally quiet and Riverdale Avenue isn't a problem either. The bunching occurs on the Bx10 down in the Bronx.  For the Bx7 and Bx20 it must be in Manhattan in Inwood or Washington Heights.  The only time there is a "back up" here is due to a truck or something being parked and clogging up the narrow service road.  Other than that traffic is not a problem here.

You're right in that bunching isn't due to any traffic in Riverdale....

But still, due northbound on both routes at least, it does tend to start to happen in Riverdale... Again, especially after the masses start emptying out south of 246th on either route.... I've seen & experienced more than enough evidence of this.... You've agreed w/ a point I made in one of these threads regarding N. Riverdale's usage isn't near as potent as the rest of Riverdale.....

You're right in that bunching isn't due to any traffic in Riverdale....

But still, due northbound on both routes at least, it does tend to start to happen in Riverdale... Again, especially after the masses start emptying out south of 246th on either route.... I've seen & experienced more than enough evidence of this.... You've agreed w/ a point I made in one of these threads regarding N. Riverdale's usage isn't near as potent as the rest of Riverdale.....

Are you referring to the Bx7 and Bx10?  Well on the Bx7 obviously 236th and Riverdale Avenue is a huge stop and 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway is as well.  For the Bx10 I'd say Spuyten Duyvil has most of the big stops (Kappock and Johnson,  and Kappock and Knolls Crescent, with 227th, 232nd and 235th and Henry Hudson Parkway also being stops that can slow things down since the service road is very narrow, making it also impossible to get by, but I wouldn't say it's the cause for bunching), since those buses already arrived bunched and aside from that traffic is not really an issue. After 235th on the Bx10 things simmer down because anyone going to the (1) more times than not will just use the Bx7 for the obvious reason unless the Bx7 is not running well.

Something that happens quite a bit also is the NB BxM1, BxM2 running together and occasional the BxM18 joining the pack.  I don't know how that works out but I'm surprised at how often we meet up with another express bus.   Despite so many buses serving Henry Hudson Parkway and Riverdale Avenue, it seems to work out pretty well because usually the Hudson Rail Link bus doesn't come right away with say an express bus or seems to be schedule right before the BxM2 most of the time. Usually a local bus is scheduled, then an express bus and then a Hudson Rail Link bus. SB there's only a few points in the day where the BxM1 and BxM2 run back to back by design, otherwise, one would have to be quite late.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Are you referring to the Bx7 and Bx10?  Well on the Bx7 obviously 236th and Riverdale Avenue is a huge stop and 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway is as well.  For the Bx10 I'd say Spuyten Duyvil has most of the big stops (Kappock and Johnson,  and Kappock and Knolls Crescent, with 227th, 232nd and 235th and Henry Hudson Parkway also being stops that can slow things down since the service road is very narrow, making it also impossible to get by, but I wouldn't say it's the cause for bunching), since those buses already arrived bunched and aside from that traffic is not really an issue. After 235th on the Bx10 things simmer down because anyone going to the (1) more times than not will just use the Bx7 for the obvious reason unless the Bx7 is not running well.

Something that happens quite a bit also is the NB BxM1, BxM2 running together and occasional the BxM18 joining the pack.  I don't know how that works out but I'm surprised at how often we meet up with another express bus.   Despite so many buses serving Henry Hudson Parkway and Riverdale Avenue, it seems to work out pretty well because usually the Hudson Rail Link bus doesn't come right away with say an express bus or seems to be schedule right before the BxM2 most of the time. Usually a local bus is scheduled, then an express bus and then a Hudson Rail Link bus. SB there's only a few points in the day where the BxM1 and BxM2 run back to back by design, otherwise, one would have to be quite late.

Yes, I'm referring to both the Bx7 & Bx10....

I'm not saying it's the cause.... I'm saying the usage both routes get b/w the (1) & their respective portions south of 246th due northbound is a factor to the bunching..... By time buses hit around say 254th due north, you tend to see Bx7's & Bx10's arriving in 2's, sometimes even 3's (with the Bx7)..... If ridership was weaker than what it was in your section of Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil, I doubt buses would be arriving at 263rd in 2's & 3's - At least, to the extent that they do.....

The expresses, so I see that's still true to this day huh..... lol.... When I used to commonly fan the Riverdale expresses after work, that was a common occurrence then (this was about 2 yrs or so ago).... No matter which of the 3 I decided to ride on a particular day, somehow someway they would all meet up w/ each other.....

Now how come that same uniformity doesn't happen with the BM's <_<(stealing your favorite smilie there for a sec.)

Yes, I'm referring to both the Bx7 & Bx10....

I'm not saying it's the cause.... I'm saying the usage both routes get b/w the (1) & their respective portions south of 246th due northbound is a factor to the bunching..... By time buses hit around say 254th due north, you tend to see Bx7's & Bx10's arriving in 2's, sometimes even 3's (with the Bx7)..... If ridership was weaker than what it was in your section of Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil, I doubt buses would be arriving at 263rd in 2's & 3's - At least, to the extent that they do.....

The expresses, so I see that's still true to this day huh..... lol.... When I used to commonly fan the Riverdale expresses after work, that was a common occurrence then (this was about 2 yrs or so ago).... No matter which of the 3 I decided to ride on a particular day, somehow someway they would all meet up w/ each other.....

Now how come that same uniformity doesn't happen with the BM's <_<(stealing your favorite smilie there for a sec.)

Yeah those areas of Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil are the densest parts and then you have a few schools in the area too, but I'd say overall the bulk of the ridership is down in Spuyten Duyvil, particularly Kappock and Johnson and Kappock and Knolls Crescent.  After that the real big stops would be 232nd, 235th or 239th, but some of those are hit or miss, though 246th can be a big stop from time to time as well.  What baffles me though is the bunching that can occur at night or on Sundays particularly on the Bx7 or Bx10.  Then again Washington Heights and Inwood is always a mess.  I was heading to the city the other night on the BxM2 and we were going via Inwood to avoid any backup on the Major Deegan.  The traffic was backed up well past 21:00 on a weekday night.  

The BM's particularly on Saturdays can be a mess, even though they're supposed to run about 10 minutes apart most of the day (BM1, BM2, BM3 & BM4).

Yeah those areas of Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil are the densest parts and then you have a few schools in the area too, but I'd say overall the bulk of the ridership is down in Spuyten Duyvil, particularly Kappock and Johnson and Kappock and Knolls Crescent.  After that the real big stops would be 232nd, 235th or 239th, but some of those are hit or miss, though 246th can be a big stop from time to time as well.  

What baffles me though is the bunching that can occur at night or on Sundays particularly on the Bx7 or Bx10.  Then again Washington Heights and Inwood is always a mess.  I was heading to the city the other night on the BxM2 and we were going via Inwood to avoid any backup on the Major Deegan.  The traffic was backed up well past 21:00 on a weekday night.  

The BM's particularly on Saturdays can be a mess, even though they're supposed to run about 10 minutes apart most of the day (BM1, BM2, BM3 & BM4).

Right, that's my point w/ the way the Bx7 & the Bx10 are used in that part of Riverdale....

As far as traffic approaching the deegan from that end, it's just one more reason I refuse to drive on the deegan.....

Broadway in certain sections b/w 168th on up to the bridge will always be a PITA to move along... It's the only major north-south road up there.... Which is a reason you have as much traffic diverting off broadway onto 207th, towards the bronx.....

I'm disappointed they eliminated the BX55

It's still around but it's called the Bx15 local now! ;) The old Bx15 became the Bx15 LTD...

no it was just extended to Manhattan and renumbered bx15 LTD.

Which simply goes to show how we can become attached to a route number.....

Which simply goes to show how we can become attached to a route number.....

my bad I meant to upvote it but yeah it is kinda sad how attatched to a route number one can be.

Actually, see my response above... That's how it turned out...

the bx15 local was just truncated where bx55 Used to end. With the LTD 55 trips extending to Manhattan and being renumbered.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...