Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol... Apparently there is no such thing as enough service with those folks.  Remember, they're "entitled" to their bus service as one Co-Op City resident put it.

Let's break it down, shall we?

Local routes:

Bx23, 26, 28, 29, 30 and 38

SBS route:

Bx12

LTD route:

Q50

Express route:

BxM7

I think that's all they're "entitled" to. Only thing they're missing is direct access to Westchester, and that's not even warranted

Local routes:

SBS route:

Bx12

LTD route:

Q50

Express route:

BxM7

I think that's all they're "entitled" to. Only thing they're missing is direct access to Westchester, and that's not even warranted

lol... Don't forget that they'll be getting the Metro-North station in the future and I wonder what their demands will be then.  We want 15 minute headways on MNRR from Grand Central to Co-Op City! I could see it now.  <_<

im just curious where is there demand for another bronx to queens route?

i want to design one via the throgs neck bridge?

None that I can think of.  The Italians are leaving Throggs Neck in droves to Westchester, Long Island and New Jersey, so there isn't as much of a Bayside or Bay Terrace connection there and even so, most would drive anyway.  Unless the Puerto Ricans keep moving to Throggs Neck and Bayside or Bay Terrace (their numbers aren't that big in either area yet then I don't see any real connection).

Well, a big problem with that particular idea is that there aren't any particularly big Queens hub neighborhoods east of Main St...

Northern is a somewhat busy corridor, and QCC is also very close to Northern/Bell, but to be fairly honest, there just really isn't much there to start with. I mean, you could turn it on Northern into Flushing, but essentially that'd just be a very long Q13.

Local routes:

SBS route:

Bx12

LTD route:

Q50

Express route:

BxM7

It's called W45. To new Rochelle and white plains rd.

lol... Don't forget that they'll be getting the Metro-North station in the future and I wonder what their demands will be then.  We want 15 minute headways on MNRR from Grand Central to Co-Op City! I could see it now.  <_<

airport .

Already designed one buddy. It serves many hubs. And links to all NICE routes sadly which are always late. Why not a route that serves the hospital hubs in Westchester sq and goes to bay terrace.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Well, a big problem with that particular idea is that there aren't any particularly big Queens hub neighborhoods east of Main St...

Northern is a somewhat busy corridor, and QCC is also very close to Northern/Bell, but to be fairly honest, there just really isn't much there to start with. I mean, you could turn it on Northern into Flushing, but essentially that'd just be a very long Q13.

Q31 serves one and what about Westchester square

Q31 serves one and what about Westchester square

Q31 serves what? And what about Westchester Square (which is in the Bronx, and completely unrelated)? As a resident of Eastern Queens for most of my life, I can tell you for a fact that nothing worth going to exists east of Main and Kissena. Sure, there are some nice stores here and there on Northern, Bell, Springfield, and Union, but there is no cluster of destinations that a route in Eastern Queens could reasonably serve. (And no, Kennedy does not count, because the amount of traffic around Kennedy and the lack of regular demand from Eastern Queens and the Bronx to Kennedy makes it absolutely not worth it. Plus, there is barely any pre-security shopping or eating to do there, so who the hell would go if they weren't flying or working there?)

Q31 serves what? And what about Westchester Square (which is in the Bronx, and completely unrelated)? As a resident of Eastern Queens for most of my life, I can tell you for a fact that nothing worth going to exists east of Main and Kissena. Sure, there are some nice stores here and there on Northern, Bell, Springfield, and Union, but there is no cluster of destinations that a route in Eastern Queens could reasonably serve. (And no, Kennedy does not count, because the amount of traffic around Kennedy and the lack of regular demand from Eastern Queens and the Bronx to Kennedy makes it absolutely not worth it. Plus, there is barely any pre-security shopping or eating to do there, so who the hell would go if they weren't flying or working there?)

Links to lines that meet Q31. Most traffic goes directly to Brooklyn from eastern queens am I correct?

Links to lines that meet Q31. Most traffic goes directly to Brooklyn from eastern queens am I correct?

The Q31 is one of the lesser routes of Queens. Of all the routes to link to, why that?

Also, what on earth does the second part of that statement even mean? People drive in all directions, wherever they want to. That doesn't necessarily mean that we should attempt to serve every trip by transit.

The Q31 is one of the lesser routes of Queens. Of all the routes to link to, why that?

Also, what on earth does the second part of that statement even mean? People drive in all directions, wherever they want to. That doesn't necessarily mean that we should attempt to serve every trip by transit.

NICE N21/20& 22/24 Also Q46/27/88 ect it's far more than just Q31. And 188th street served by Q17 Q31 links to 2 major frequent routes.

NICE N21/20& 22/24 Also Q46/27/88 ect it's far more than just Q31. And 188th street served by Q17 Q31 links to 2 major frequent routes.

Okay, this is starting to get really off topic since this is the Bronx proposals thread, but here goes.

1. Very few people on the Throgs Neck are actually heading to the Bronx from Eastern Queens. With tolls that high, very few people would have the financial incentive to actually make this trip unless the pay was really good. Most traffic consists of people headed to/from Upstate New York and points north, and a significant portion of the other traffic is trucking.

2. How the hell would you get this thing to 188th St without screwing up the route? The Cross Island prohibits commercial vehicles and is always jammed in both directions. Francis Lewis Blvd is jammed the closer you get to Jamaica and is bordered by a giant park for most of its length, and Hillside west of Springfield is a slow crawl. Any other north-south arterials are also similarly jammed due to high traffic volumes and crappy traffic signal timing. Not to mention, all the routes you mention are already within walking distance of the Q44, so there is no added benefit.

3. You still haven't addressed the fact that there is nothing in Eastern Queens significant enough to connect to. Diverting into Jamaica would screw up the route, add to bus congestion in a neighborhood that barely handles the current traffic, and take additional time. (Same goes for Flushing.) Building a bus route on the basis of transfers from other bus routes is never a good idea, particularly when all these bus routes already have connections to one of the two existing Bronx-bound routes.

Okay, this is starting to get really off topic since this is the Bronx proposals thread, but here goes.

** Very Valid Points**

Bob, his end game is to divert the discussion off topic so he can discuss regional travel...

What he doesn't want folks to realize is that when it comes to bus travel in urban areas, he's a fish out of water...

QJT is not gonna address those issues you brought up because he CAN'T... This isn't the first time he's brought up a Bronx-Queens route of sorts... The only difference this time around is that he's now suggesting the Q31, instead of....

Already designed one buddy. It serves many hubs. And links to all NICE routes sadly which are always late.

Why not a route that serves the hospital hubs in Westchester sq and goes to bay terrace.

... This Q76 atrocity back then :lol: 

Getting to those hospitals by westcwester sq  is a PITA cmon the demand is obviously there. However it can be done with a bx route instead though. I saidlink to residents on 188th & in addition Springfield Blvd which are served by lines that connect to the Q31!!!! Of course bay terrace alone is not good enough look past 1 line sometimes you have to manipulate multiple lines to close a gap rather than via one bus.

1. Very few people on the Throgs Neck are actually heading to the Bronx from Eastern Queens. With tolls that high, very few people would have the financial incentive to actually make this trip unless the pay was really good. Most traffic consists of people headed to/from Upstate New York and points north, and a significant portion of the other traffic is trucking.

2. How the hell would you get this thing to 188th St without screwing up the route? The Cross Island prohibits commercial vehicles and is always jammed in both directions. Francis Lewis Blvd is jammed the closer you get to Jamaica and is bordered by a giant park for most of its length, and Hillside west of Springfield is a slow crawl. Any other north-south arterials are also similarly jammed due to high traffic volumes and crappy traffic signal timing. Not to mention, all the routes you mention are already within walking distance of the Q44, so there is no added benefit.

3. You still haven't addressed the fact that there is nothing in Eastern Queens significant enough to connect to. Diverting into Jamaica would screw up the route, add to bus congestion in a neighborhood that barely handles the current traffic, and take additional time. (Same goes for Flushing.) Building a bus route on the basis of transfers from other bus routes is never a good idea, particularly when all these bus routes already have connections to one of the two existing Bronx-bound routes.

Simple Q31 connects to the Q17&27!!!! Q50 is infrequent and the current trip requires not 2 but 3 to 4 different buses to make the trip this cuts it down to just 2 or 3 instead of 5 in some cases from those corridors which have many residents. Last I checked Q17&27 are nowhere near Q44 except in flushing. And in the Bronx there are some hospitals or universities there med students there as well as jobs too. Who said it has to be a new line it can use throngs neck then Tremont to reach that area. People also use buses from all directions as well in addition to drive. It just makes the trip more worth it due to fewer transfers and the ability to beat that toll. All those corridors you mentioned having nothing to do with this. 

Bob, his end game is to divert the discussion off topic so he can discuss regional travel...

What he doesn't want folks to realize is that when it comes to bus travel in urban areas, he's a fish out of water...

QJT is not gonna address those issues you brought up because he CAN'T... This isn't the first time he's brought up a Bronx-Queens route of sorts... The only difference this time around is that he's now suggesting the Q31, instead of....

Not what I was thinking you're way off.

Uhh I just did.

Simple Q31 connects to the Q17&27!!!! Q50 is infrequent and the current trip requires not 2 but 3 to 4 different buses to make the trip this cuts it down to just 2 or 3 instead of 5 in some cases from those corridors which have many residents. Last I checked Q17&27 are nowhere near Q44 except in flushing. And in the Bronx there are some hospitals or universities there med students there as well as jobs too. Who said it has to be a new line it can use throngs neck then Tremont to reach that area. People also use buses from all directions as well in addition to drive. It just makes the trip more worth it due to fewer transfers and the ability to beat that toll. All those corridors you mentioned having nothing to do with this. 

Unless you can actually provide proof of large amounts of commuting between Westchester Square and Eastern Queens, your point is moot. Most people in Queens with jobs or doing residency in hospitals would be commuting to either New York Hospital in Flushing, North Shore-LIJ, Jamaica Hospital, or a Manhattan hospital.

I'm well aware :P

The amount of times he's brought up an Eastern Queens - Bronx route without providing evidence of an actual need for one other than "the Q44 goes too far west and the Q50 is crap" is too high to count. If the Bronx needs more service to its eastern bits, you can just boost Q50 service. There's no need for a whole new bus route.