Muslim bus driver's discrimination lawsuit against MTA continues, even after driver's death...

Turbo19

I agree. The banter is fun but annoying when they can't see the other side of things.

It's not even fun in this case. It's down right offensive. I could see the two working at the MTA, treating everyone worse than the already shit and jaded management.

also didn't the nypd get in trouble regarding someone's religous beliefs? (story linked to reference the story)  and would the TA be subject to the same ruling cause their a govt agency.

http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/failed_messiahcom/2013/11/judge-rules-nypd-has-to-allow-hasidic-officer-to-have-long-beard-despite-dangers-it-poses-to-citizen-789.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hasidic-nypd-recruit-victim-bias-judge-article-1.1518890

also didn't the nypd get in trouble regarding someone's religous beliefs? (story linked to reference the story)  and would the TA be subject to the same ruling cause their a govt agency.

http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/failed_messiahcom/2013/11/judge-rules-nypd-has-to-allow-hasidic-officer-to-have-long-beard-despite-dangers-it-poses-to-citizen-789.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hasidic-nypd-recruit-victim-bias-judge-article-1.1518890

Yes, probably. That's a good point you raised.

Not really.  If the City can show his injuries were due to that beard they can walk away from it.  For his freedom as you call it also calls for giving things up.  There are reasons why things are done a certain way including being clean shaven as people in a fight will grab anything including a beard and the head follows.  If you get injured because he was taken out from that beard then the City will settle with you quickly.

It's not even fun in this case. It's down right offensive. I could see the two working at the MTA, treating everyone worse than the already shit and jaded management.

The MTA allowed her to work the yard  for her beliefs but injury probably due to the diabetes caused her to fall. She asked for the reclassification not them as she was physically unable to do the work anymore.  She knew the requirements of the job as she asked for it and to wear the emblem which she refused to do. How far are they required to go?

The MTA allowed her to work the yard  for her beliefs but injury probably due to the diabetes caused her to fall. She asked for the reclassification not them as she was physically unable to do the work anymore.  She knew the requirements of the job as she asked for it and to wear the emblem which she refused to do. How far are they required to go?

That's BS. Again, as VG8 pointed out, she was demoted, not asking for re-classification. As well, they could just have put it on her sleeve. As for how far they should go, it's about her husband and kids now that she unfortunately passed. They didn't do anything. Why should they suffer?

Why can't you start a post with ''my condolences to her family'' ''it's tragic she died'', etc? In any case, it's about humanity and feelings. No one stated what the exact rule was. She could've worn a hat over it. That's allowed. Maybe the (MTA) could've  tried that option instead of what happened. Regarding her seeking another job: she's Muslim. Muslims are not still somewhat accepted in this city because of..well, you know.

Morals eh? Well I think it's immoral for this lawsuit to be taking place... 

Morals eh? Well I think it's immoral for this lawsuit to be taking place... 

So, you have no problem with the husband and kids suffering when they didn't do anything? In all seriousness, this thread should be locked.

Given that I have seen at least one female Muslim bus driver (at Gleason Depot) wearing a hijab in MTA navy blue in 2012 - when Stephanie Lewis (probably a convert to Islam) died - unless there is more to this story, I don't see why this lawsuit is in the courts.

Well that's the problem... I don't see how that's the (MTA) 's fault...

Easy. She got demoted. The demotion meant a lesser paycheck. The lesser paycheck meant she couldn't afford her medicine for her diabetes and her insulin. Who demoted her? The (MTA)

Given that I have seen at least one female Muslim bus driver (at Gleason Depot) wearing a hijab in MTA navy blue in 2012 - when Stephanie Lewis (probably a convert to Islam) died - unless there is more to this story, I don't see why this lawsuit is in the courts.

There's a Sikh B/O I see once in a while who wears a head covering with an MTA patch on it, and I've seen one or two Muslim B/O's with a head covering with an MTA logo. I wonder if this woman's imam is stricter than others and didn't allow her to put a logo on. If she didn't bother to ask her imam for an exemption to put on the logo or wear a hat, that's on her. 

I also get the feeling there is more going on here, although this is not the first lawsuit alleging that the treatment of women and minorities in various depots is pretty bad. I wonder if she pissed off the wrong person after her first medical leave. 

Reasonable is the keyword... There is nothing "reasonable" about wearing a headscarf on the job.  If she wants to wear that during her free time, sure, but not while she's on the job.  Completely unnecessary.

Dude do you not understand this is a religious REQUIREMENT.

Would you rather A.keep your job and go to hell for it or B.Lose your job and go to heaven...

Dude do you not understand this is a religious REQUIREMENT.

Would you rather A.keep your job and go to hell for it or B.Lose your job and go to heaven...

I've been trying to make that point to him, but he doesn't seem to understand that. Same goes for traingoat. As I said to both, all the (MTA) had to do was to put an (MTA) patch on the sleeve of her uniform and problem solved.

There's a Sikh B/O I see once in a while who wears a head covering with an MTA patch on it, and I've seen one or two Muslim B/O's with a head covering with an MTA logo. I wonder if this woman's imam is stricter than others and didn't allow her to put a logo on. If she didn't bother to ask her imam for an exemption to put on the logo or wear a hat, that's on her. 

I also get the feeling there is more going on here, although this is not the first lawsuit alleging that the treatment of women and minorities in various depots is pretty bad. I wonder if she pissed off the wrong person after her first medical leave. 

To both of your points:

That's the thing that has to be understood. Imams vary and hers may have been stricter than others. I'm sure the (MTA) knew this when they checked her out and proceeded to hire her. If it's very strict, I doubt she can ask them for an exemption. 

This is the best point that people here don't bring up. Minorites and women in the (MTA) are not treated equally as whites and men and this is fact because, as you said, this is not the first lawsuit bringing out alleged poor treatment to women and minorities. As with the imam strictness, the (MTA) knew she had medical issues and if they got pissed off after she rightfully took a medical leave, then those people should be fired immediately along with the people discriminating against the minorities and women.

LOL!  I guess I would be going to hell as a Catholic because I LOVE making money, no matter how much of it I have.  :lol:

The money isn't any good to you when you're no longer around  :lol:

I'm getting tired of this rant.

Well I'm not one of those crazy religious fanatics, so I don't get it.  It's okay to have religion in your life, but when religion becomes more important than everything else, including your job, that's a problem.

You may be mistaken. The Civil Rights Act protects individuals from abuse from employers because of a persons nationality, race or RELIGION. End of discussion. 

This whole topic is a double-edged sword in its own way.

Mark 12:31, from the King James Version:

"And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these."

It doesn't matter if you are religious or not VG8. We as a human race still have to respect other's religious beliefs. Clearly that woman was a religious Muslim, and she stood by her faith.

I understand that the MTA has their own etiquette and their dress code, but as an equal-opportunity employer, they would have needed to accommodate to her religious needs. This concept may sound absurd to you, but it is what it is. Sure she didn't wear the logo on that scarf, but as long as she was wearing the MTA uniform, which clearly has MTA logos, I see no need to treat her differently.

Depending on her variation of Islam that she followed (iirc it's stricter for women than for men), it may have simply been easier to wear an MTA or depot hat over it as technically they were still giving her a chance IF it wasn't the stricter Islam branch. If it WAS the stricter Islamic branch, they would have had to accommodate to that, just as long as she wore the rest of the MTA uniform.

I'm pretty sure not every B/O wears an MTA or a depot hat, but regardless, they are still wearing the MTA uniform. Now we would need to see both sides of the story because it sounds like whoever was in charge of the depot she was based out of was demoting her from a personal grudge, just using the MTA as an excuse to do so.

There was no abuse here, just this woman's disregard for the (MTA) 's rules.  

What you don't seem to get is that the imam has rules. The (MTA) knew this when they hired her. If she breaks them, it could be all over. Trust me. As well, the (MTA) is not above her because they were her employer. It works both ways. As CT says, it's stricter for women than men and, as CT also said, she was demoted out of spite. They used the (MTA) as an excuse. Take this into consideration.

Not really.  She could of worn a hat over the scarf and everyone is happy. She is a uniformed employee and knew that when she took the job.

Exactly... Her employment with the (MTA) was "at will", which means that if she didn't like the rules, she could've left.  No one forced her to take the job.

Last I checked, the 1st Amendment allows for "Freedom of Expression". No law or regulation is above the Constitution.

Archived