R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Umm...R62AR33...you seem to love talking about the R62As and the swap in this thread so much. Sure, the R188 conversion is the reason why the Westchester/Corona swap is taking place. But now, I actually feel as if you're dragging us away from the R188 topic and just talking about the same things that occured before long ago...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm...R62AR33...you seem to love talking about the R62As and the swap in this thread so much. Sure, the R188 conversion is the reason why the Westchester/Corona swap is taking place. But now, I actually feel as if you're dragging us away from the R188 topic and just talking about the same things that occured before long ago...

lol sorry about that I was off topic for a little but lets carry on to the R188 topic.

yep you got it. That's why it is not known where those 20 spares will go to. The Options is the (1) getting back the 20 R62As it lost in 2002 to the (7).It can be the (4) getting them for Yankee Games and rush hours, or it can be westchester yard getting those 20 spares as well then swapping 20 or 30 R142As to the (4) in exchange for 20 or 30 R142s.

That is not what I was referring to. I meant that the 380 cars would be scheduled to run in service and the 20 as standbys, which would replace the cars if any of the 380 were to be FUBARed. Obviously, 2 trains as spares wouldn't be enough, so that's where the secondary fleet comes into the equation.

I don't see why the (4) would get the R62As, they manage just fine without them. I also fail to see why the R142As would be swapped for R142s. A train is a train.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Based on the subway roster, there are 414 cars assigned to the 7, so that is like 41 trains. The 6 has 460 trains total or 46 trains. These numbers includes spares.

I don't get why the 4 would need r62as either and why the r142as on the 6 would be rush hours only. That said, I stand by my view that the remaining r142as should all be on one line. That's pretty much it regarding that. Its not end if the world if it doesn't happen and the remaining r142as stayed.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I don't get why the 4 would need r62as either and why the r142as on the 6 would be rush hours only. That said, I stand by my view that the remaining r142as should all be on one line. That's pretty much it regarding that. Its not end if the world if it doesn't happen and the remaining r142as stayed.

The R142As would be rush hour only because they are now going to be the minotrity of the fleet so.They as well can be used as well if an R62A has to go to the yard due to problems or just be taken out to rest then an R142A can come out an replace it.

Edited by R62AR33

Based on the subway roster, there are 414 cars assigned to the 7, so that is like 41 trains. The 6 has 460 trains total or 46 trains. These numbers includes spares.

The R142As would be rush hour only because they are now going to be the minotrity of the fleet so.They as well can be used as well if an R62A has to go to the yard due to problems or just be taken out to rest then an R142A can come out an replace it.

I guess you're right....

The R42s are the minority of the (J)(Z) fleet but IIRC at least one train is scheduled to come out on weekends.

See, but they aren't restricted to rush hours, unless the scheduling was changed recently.

So the ~50 NTTs would be filling in the gap, I presume.

Why would the R142As all be better on one line? Are they any different, mechanically, from the R142s?

Why would the R142As all be better on one line? Are they any different, mechanically, from the R142s?

The R142A's have different motors, they have different trucks, they have different designs...

See, but they aren't restricted to rush hours, unless the scheduling was changed recently.

i don't know the specifics, but they haven't run an r142 with an r142a set for normal service. They only tested that combo many years back and never tried it again. But basically I think that it would make sense to just keep all the r142as together on the 4 than keep a small fleet over with the 6. Consolidate the parts to one yard/line. Edited by Grand Concourse

The r42 is much older and I can understand why they'd limit it to rush hours, but the r142as are much younger and it is not as if parts are scarce, that is why keeping them as rush hours only doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense because you have the R62As doing most of the work and its best to keep them rush hour because the R142As is the minority of the fleet and you don't want it to break down so it's best running them rush hours and to run in them if an R62A has any issues or  has to be replaced so that it can rest.

It makes perfect sense because you have the R62As doing most of the work and its best to keep them rush hour because the R142As is the minority of the fleet and you don't want it to break down so it's best running them rush hours and to run in them if an R62A has any issues or  has to be replaced so that it can rest.

Just going to point out that the R142As are little more than a decade old, and that subway cars have lasted 40 years or so, so the R142As aren't going to be super unreliable...

If anything, that would be an argument against the R62As, which date from the 80s.

Just going to point out that the R142As are little more than a decade old, and that subway cars have lasted 40 years or so, so the R142As aren't going to be super unreliable...

If anything, that would be an argument against the R62As, which date from the 80s.

Well Technically a Subway car is supposed to last at least 40yrs in revenue service before retired. If a subway car lasts less then 40yrs usually its because of issues that caused it to retire early. Im not saying the R142As are super unreliable but westchester yard would't wan't to take the chance with their minority fleet breaking down bause then they would have to borrown an R142A from the (4) possible,that is why it would be best running them Rush Hours and at least one set on the weekends.

Edited by R62AR33

When you say 50 NTTs, or a certain amount of anything...

do you mean 50 cars...or 50 10car or 11car trains??

When did R142A #7221  -#7225 . #7226 - #7230 went to Kawasaki rail car Yonkers facility to be retro-fitted to become CBTC? ( the next set to become R188 conversion.) Goodbye to R142A #7221 - #7225 , #7226 - #7230 heading to Corona Yard soon. Next to leave R142A #7231 - #7235 / #7236 - #7240 lol.  -_- Sawmp the R62A is around the corner. 

How about no one not talking about Westchester yard  can loan R142 Bombardier... I never see R142 Bombardier never ran on 6 line. 

240st yard isn't ready to maintain NTTs it's not updated yet to be able to maintain it so we know the remaining R142As can't go to the (1). Even though westchester has been maintaining them for over a decade they likely will just run the R142As on rush hours or if an R62A has to go to the yard for a little bit then that is when we will see it. Besides if anything the (6) should just get the remaining 20 R62As as well to make it 400 R62As and then like you said have the remaing 50 R142As go to the (4) for 50 R142s that way westchester just maintains R142 and R62As considering both were made by bombardier.The way they are going if the Remaining R142As stay on the (6) they will might as well have retire first when its time for the R142As to retire considering how beat up they are especially since they are not even 15 years old yet.

I agree 6 line should get remaining 20 R62A for what reason? Anyone forgot. Times Square / Grand Central Shuttle R62A singles based out of Westchester Yard at least seeing R62A singles. 

Well Technically a Subway car is supposed to last at least 40yrs in revenue service before retired. If a subway car lasts less then 40yrs usually its because of issues that caused it to retire early. Im not saying the R142As are super unreliable but westchester yard would't wan't to take the chance with their minority fleet breaking down bause then they would have to borrown an R142A from the (4) possible,that is why it would be best running them Rush Hours and at least one set on the weekends.

Nice. rather see R142A run rush hours on 6 line. Well something have to deal with 5 line. Where you can see R62A run on 5 line in rush hours.. Something about Dyre Avenue Shuttle or the yard something..