R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Just a comment. I know it would happen 20%. If you believe R188 ( with Bombardier Propulsion ) will fail running on the 7 line.... Bombardier Propulsion i like. you said it right.. R188 should of carry Alstom propulsion.  R188 should become 5 cars sets. Why hate Bombardier Propulsion. R188 still is R142A 

It would be good for 5 line... You would see R62A would run 5 line. loaning a R62A ... Only a set.. During OPTO Dyre Avenue Shuttle late night time. As 6 line or Westchester Yard have right to loan R142 Bombardier of UnionPort Yard home of 5 line. Share same yard as based out that train yard.

Is it bad that I can almost interpret half of that?  :huh::huh::huh:

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL. The (7) is my home line, and I am actually looking forward to the R188's. The R142A are my favorite NYC Subway cars behind the R160/R62A. It would be nice to hear that propulsion on the Flushing Line, because that is the reason I like the R142A. 

Depotofrelax:

If you want (7) to have two 5 car sets of R188's as a full train, think again. Go to Queensboro Plaza at 6 PM on a weekday and try to crowd onto a (7). It is so crowded that it would make sense to put a 12 car train. 

FINDs:

FINDS WON'T WORK ON THE (7). IT IS A WASTE. First of all, there wouldn't be any major reroutes on the (7) because, well, it isn't near any IRT line that can make alternative stops to the Queens part. Let me get that straight. As said, if the (7) is skipping stops, they can simply not show the light.

ONE THING THOUGH:

FINDS AND STRIP MAPS BOTH HAVE GLITCHES. JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT FINDS DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU CAN SAY THAT THEY ARE FULL OF GLITCHES WHEN THE STRIP MAPS DO TOO. I have been on trains where strip maps are literally frozen and sometimes they point in the wrong direction. There have also been times that the strip maps haven't kept up with the announcements/LED displays. Technology is full of glitches. Even the R62A's have glitches, when the rollsign is stuck on express or local. Lets just be happy that CBTC is coming to the heavily used (7), especially in the rush hours. If you haven't seen the bunching in trains on the (7) before, go see for yourself. 

LOL. The (7) is my home line, and I am actually looking forward to the R188's. The R142A are my favorite NYC Subway cars behind the R160/R62A. It would be nice to hear that propulsion on the Flushing Line...

I hope you like the hard bucking on acceleration and deceleration, too. I hated the days of taking the (6) if only because those crapboxes jerk violently every damn time they move. Easily the worst of the NTTs. Even the R160B's with Siemens propulsion aren't as bad (all the flatspotted wheels are annoying to hear, but at least ride is smooth).

I hope you like the hard bucking on acceleration and deceleration, too. I hated the days of taking the (6) if only because those crapboxes jerk violently every damn time they move. Easily the worst of the NTTs. Even the R160B's with Siemens propulsion aren't as bad (all the flatspotted wheels are annoying to hear, but at least ride is smooth).

Same with the R142's though.

LOL. The (7) is my home line, and I am actually looking forward to the R188's. The R142A are my favorite NYC Subway cars behind the R160/R62A. It would be nice to hear that propulsion on the Flushing Line...

a lot of that can be caused by dead motors. I remember back when slants ran on the L the consist had 3 dead motors and the jerking was so bad, a TSS came on and dischsrged the train at Bway Jct.

Your rides could have been from poor maintenance by Westchester Yard.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

a lot of that can be caused by dead motors. I remember back when slants ran on the L the consist had 3 dead motors and the jerking was so bad, a TSS came on and dischsrged the train at Bway Jct. Your rides could have been from poor maintenance by Westchester Yard. Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

I'm going to go ahead and side with the bad maintenance idea. No other trains that I know of in the system ride as badly as the R142A's on the (6) / <6>. They're filthy inside and out, too.

a lot of that can be caused by dead motors. I remember back when slants ran on the L the consist had 3 dead motors and the jerking was so bad, a TSS came on and dischsrged the train at Bway Jct.

Your rides could have been from poor maintenance by Westchester Yard.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

is it due to the fact they don't feel like bothering anymore since the r142as are being converted to r188s or they've just been horrible overall? I haven't been a regular 6 line rider since 2005.

So that's why the Straphangers Campaign wrote in their 2012 annual report that the (6) breaks down more often. I don't really understand fully. But I also believe is another fact that the (6) runs so frequently due to heavy ridership on its route, especially in Manhattan. I'm not sure if its cars rarely make it back to Westchester though. I can be wrong.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I got to say, Westchester Yard's maintenance is horrible. Their R142As look real bad, which is why I don't always like my R142A ride. 

How about maintenance R142A on 4 line. I spotted many times Westchester Yard is loaning R142A of 4 line. That Westchester Yard do maintenance R142A only on 4 line. I did ride R142A of 4 line that Westchester Yard loaning to put on 6 line service.

I agree with poor maintenance by Westchester Yard also. I ride all of the IRT lines every week and the ones that do have NTTs (2)(4)(5) don't have that problem like the (6) does. Even given the fact that each car has only 1 powered truck out of 2.

Wrong on R142 on 2 line. The only problem with R142 of 2 line. There strip map is rusty , strip map not fixed all the time , It does not work well when 5 line loaning R142 of 2 line. Problem with Strip map some cars is , strip map showing white color bullet proof or which direction showing, but the led screen not shown as other cars on strip map. That it.

I just hope Westchester takes care of those 62As because the way they've maintained the 142As leave a lot to be desired.

Why blame Westchester Yard home of 6 line.. When some R142A & now R62A. does go to mostly 3 yards that 239 street yard home of 2 line maintenance only & same as Unionport Yard / East 180 street yard & mostly agree for 207 street yard overhaul shop i know. 

I just hope Westchester takes care of those 62As because the way they've maintained the 142As leave a lot to be desired.

Westchester will have to take care of the R62As now considering how good they were perfoming when on the (7)  now that the (6) riders wont have most of their NTTs the R62As have to perform so that there's not too much complaints from the riders.

the (4) 's R142A's are much better than the (6) 's. I'm glad they are taking away the R142A's from Westchester and converting them to R188's because those R142A's would sure get beat badly. On the other hand, Corona Yard would probably do good with the 188s. Judging by the R62As, they have better maintenance than Westchester. Now what I don't hope is the R62A's getting beat badly also. They still have years to go, and with Westchester's maintenance, they could even retire early..

Edited by R188 7857

Westchester will have to take care of the R62As now considering how good they were perfoming when on the (7)  now that the (6) riders wont have most of their NTTs the R62As have to perform so that there's not too much complaints from the riders.

6 line will have 80 R142A cars make sense. As 360 or 380 convereted to R142A? & 146 or 126 cars New R188 cars. 

Off - topic.... Nothing about R142/R142A.  How many R62A will be used as work equipment cars during summer.. Why make R62A a 5 car unit . As it was singles. When it used work equipment during summer... 1. I know they would prefer to used R62A for work equipment car during summer they have air conditoner. that it.

I certainly hope that Westchester steps up their game with the R62As, otherwise that will give the complainers something to complain about! :angry:

Was the maintenance issue this poor before the NTTs arrived?

No Before the NTTs arrived the R62As were mainted really well by Westchester hopefully they will be maintained good again.

the (4) 's R142A's are much better than the (6) 's. I'm glad they are taking away the R142A's from Westchester and converting them to R188's because those R142A's would sure get beat badly. On the other hand, Corona Yard would probably do good with the 188s. Judging by the R62As, they have better maintenance than Westchester. Now what I don't hope is the R62A's getting beat badly also. They still have years to go, and with Westchester's maintenance, they could even retire early..

I agree with you while R142As were on the (6) they were beat really bad but now that R62As are being swapped back to the (6) westchester will need to take take care of them so that there isn't many complaints from riders and now that Westchester will be back to mostly R62As again it will be abit easier to maintain them.