R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on car number 2143 of an R62A on the 6 line yesterday during rush hour. Being I was rushing to catch a Metro North train, I didn't grab a pic. Time was 5:48pm. Picked it up at Union Square.

That's good and just saying we all know that R62A has been on the (6) lol, it's been there since last month it departs Pelham bay everyday Monday-Friday at 4:38 Pm and it makes one trip then goes back to westchester yard.

I was on car number 2143 of an R62A on the 6 line yesterday during rush hour. Being I was rushing to catch a Metro North train, I didn't grab a pic. Time was 5:48pm. Picked it up at Union Square.

R62As 1741-1745 and 2141-2145 make up the current R62A (6) train, so nothing new, but nice job on catching it.

Off - topic.... Nothing about R142/R142A.  How many R62A will be used as work equipment cars during summer.. Why make R62A a 5 car unit . As it was singles. When it used work equipment during summer... 1. I know they would prefer to used R62A for work equipment car during summer they have air conditoner. that it.

Depends how many R62As westcherster will be able to give up for work service.

Because it's been 6 years and these annoying bugs still haven't been fixed and are still common on the R160s (at least on the ones out of a certain yard in Queens). Because nothing says "job well done" like a modern, high-tech train pulling in with one window display off, one stuck on "LAST STOP" and one carriage having both ceiling displays out and one of three FIND boards stuck on a different subway route altogether.

So? Nothing is perfect. Just because something is X years old, doesn't mean problems can be completely fixed. Not to mention that these things are in the toughest subway system on the planet. Most of these computers are running 24/7 while hitting bumps, curves, heat, cold,  rain, sleet, snow. All kinds of environments. Parts are flexing and contracting. Shaken and stirred. I bet you if your computer went through that treatment, it'd be finished. Cut the tech some slack. At least it works and does what it's supposed to do.

So we should add in glitch-prone technologies, just because "it's a machine", even though strip maps can do the job far better?

Every machine is glitch prone. You can only do so much. But when you are going through everything I stated above, glitches can be more likely. So again, cut the tech some slack. Strip maps have glitches too. Aaaaand you gotta worry about lights going out as well.

Edited by LTA1992

So? Nothing is perfect. Just because something is X years old, doesn't mean problems can be completely fixed. Not to mention that these things are in the toughest subway system on the planet. Most of these computers are running 24/7 while hitting bumps, curves, heat, cold,  rain, sleet, snow. All kinds of environments. Parts are flexing and contracting. Shaken and stirred. I bet you if your computer went through that treatment, it'd be finished. Cut the tech some slack. At least it works and does what it's supposed to do.

Every machine is glitch prone. You can only do so much. But when you are going through everything I stated above, glitches can be more likely. So again, cut the tech some slack. Strip maps have glitches too. Aaaaand you gotta worry about lights going out as well.

The problem with using "tech" for the sake of using tech is that it is often less reliable than a simpler solution. Especially a simpler solution capable of providing clearer information. A stripmap is far superior to a find in nearly every way. Of course, it is not a viable solution for cars which are not reliably on one line, but with a dedicated fleet, there is no purpose to installing a find.  

Thank you AV. Case in point, the 160 order originally included strip maps as well. Obviously that would only work if the cars were relegated to the A/C or the N/W lines. Since that's not the case and the cars are assigned to yards that serve multiple lines with very different routes, strip maps on the 160s would be worst than useless. Not so with the 188s seeing as they're likely going to stay on Flushing for quite some time.

The problem with using "tech" for the sake of using tech is that it is often less reliable than a simpler solution. Especially a simpler solution capable of providing clearer information. A stripmap is far superior to a find in nearly every way. Of course, it is not a viable solution for cars which are not reliably on one line, but with a dedicated fleet, there is no purpose to installing a find.  

You couldn't have said it better .A strip map is only good if a subway car is staying in one line and wont go anywhere for a long time and Find are good for lines that are always switching like the (2) and (5) lines should have find considering they are always switching cars.So considering R188's are only for the (7) it doesn't need Finds and if there is a service change then the conducter just has to turn the dot off for that specific station on top of that finds cost more to maintain and aren't needed on the (7).

Edited by R62AR33

Those subway cars are expensive and made by the best in the business. Six years and not having them fixed IS a problem. Besides, as I've mentioned before, these R160 problems never show up on the Coney Island sets. It's always the Jamaica E/F sets that have these issues; which makes me think it's a maintenance issue where the physical connections are damaged and not fixed. One glitch that I've also noticed on Jamaica sets that I've never encountered on a Coney Island set is when the train just straight up doesn't make an announcement when the doors open. In this glitch, the odometer/tachometer and train's systems are in proper sync (all other stations fine) and then at a couple of random stations there is no announcement when the doors open; and there is no *ding* sound like when a CR stops the announcement to explain the lack of automatic announcement.

Thank you AV. Case in point, the 160 order originally included strip maps as well. Obviously that would only work if the cars were relegated to the A/C or the N/W lines. Since that's not the case and the cars are assigned to yards that serve multiple lines with very different routes, strip maps on the 160s would be worst than useless. Not so with the 188s seeing as they're likely going to stay on Flushing for quite some time.

I am not sure that such is the case. The first glimpse I got of R160 signage design (which I believe was in 2003, possibly 2004) It was nearly identical to the FIND of today. Of course, things could have changed earlier, but I believe signage was settled fairly early on. 

That said, your points are all certainly correct.

The underlying idea behind the FIND isn't exactly unreliable (a LCD that displays variable messages? Digital billboards have existed for quite a while now, in major cities all over the world.) It's the fact that they decided to use multiple LCDs for all 3 FINDS on an 8-10 car train when 1 per FIND could probably suffice.

That being said, the R188 doesn't need them.

Those subway cars are expensive and made by the best in the business. Six years and not having them fixed IS a problem. Besides, as I've mentioned before, these R160 problems never show up on the Coney Island sets. It's always the Jamaica E/F sets that have these issues; which makes me think it's a maintenance issue where the physical connections are damaged and not fixed. One glitch that I've also noticed on Jamaica sets that I've never encountered on a Coney Island set is when the train just straight up doesn't make an announcement when the doors open. In this glitch, the odometer/tachometer and train's systems are in proper sync (all other stations fine) and then at a couple of random stations there is no announcement when the doors open; and there is no *ding* sound like when a CR stops the announcement to explain the lack of automatic announcement.

I have seen them in the Coney Island sets. Even seen them on ENY sets. No car is perfect, everything is prone to glitches every once in a while

He's overstating it. Remember, the 7 will need extra trains when it gets extended to the Javits center and I would guess the 'extras' would be used for service increases and then whatever is left is for maybe work trains.

Ok. You think can Corona Yard can handle 506 R188 cars & additional R62A??? If R142A were to return to it mainline... Will it be much more eaiser for Corona Yard that home of 7 line. Yes. There are handling 400 cars of R62A.. Corona Yard is in Queens a I.R.T divison. Not in the Bronx moslty IRT divison.. Corona Yard does not have space to handle 506 R188 cars or additonal set R62A.

Agree.. 1.. you said  R188 ' going to stay on Corona / Flushing for quite some time'.. it not 100% sure if R188 is thing to run on 7 line. Anyway R142A is 10 years old .. Or someone said wait until R62/R62A retire. As 1 , 3 , 7 line get the oldest fleet that R142.  As 2 , 4 , 5 , 6 line get new cars. 

Ok. You think can Corona Yard can handle 506 R188 cars & additional R62A??? If R142A were to return to it mainline... Will it be much more eaiser for Corona Yard that home of 7 line. Yes. There are handling 400 cars of R62A.. Corona Yard is in Queens a I.R.T divison. Not in the Bronx moslty IRT divison.. Corona Yard does not have space to handle 506 R188 cars or additonal set R62A.

Im sorry but you are VERY wrong once those 380 R142As are converted they no longer are being called R142As they will be called R188s,and they will not be returning to the mainline because they will have cbtc and cannot return to the mainline due to them having cbtc and those converted R142As will stay on flushing till retirement. Yes flushing will handle them perfectly and after late next year- early 2015 there will be NO more R62As on the (7). They all are gonna be back on the (6) and the remaining cars are likely going to the (4) so there as well. I don't know where you get your info from but Corona won't handle R188 and R62As it just will handle R188s.

Edited by R62AR33

Ok. I Corona think handle 506 R188s can. R188 not may back return mainline to. Maybe MTA convert can handle cars more to. R142A called now R188 BTW. Why compare also to Bronx Queens with.

Edited by mtattrain