Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

I took many rides on R32s and man those were good rides, especially out to the Rockaways. I also had two rides on the R42s. 

Whoops, forgot to mention that I SHOULD have also fanned the R32s on the (A) in the Rockaways and of course, the entirety of it and not just regular passenger interior rides.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the R-10's were around, conductors operated the doors from between cars all the way from Rock Park to Bedford park or Rock Park to 179 Street LOCAL both ways, so its been alot worse.

Man I feel bad for the C/Rs that had to deal with that, especially in snow and rain. It's amazing how long they kept the R10s after the IRT lines retired the R12s and R14s, which had the exterior door controls on the outside too. Of course those cars on the IRT were often mixed with other trains that had interior door controls, so they weren't at the C/R position. R10s in their last years were never mixed with other cars.

Edited by DJ MC

Oh, I've heard the stories about the R-10s LOL.  When I was living in Queens, I knew a guy who used to do Bedford Park to Beach 116th on the <C>.  He hated it and I can't blame him, especially after he told me there was one day in July where it just poured all day.  That was one C/R who was very glad to see the R-10s go.... 

The 1st set is gonna be there for awhile even past the summer, the soon to be 5 sets will probably return, rerember 1 of them is there to help while the R160s are getting SMS

The 1st train right now is the one that moved from Fresh Pond to East New York or it a set borrowed from the (C)? I remember you said plenty of times that some of cars from that R32 train were back in service.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Oh, I've heard the stories about the R-10s LOL.  When I was living in Queens, I knew a guy who used to do Bedford Park to Beach 116th on the <C>.  He hated it and I can't blame him, especially after he told me there was one day in July where it just poured all day.  That was one C/R who was very glad to see the R-10s go.... 

R10s pretty much stayed on the IND 8th Avenue for their entire careers with some exceptions. That's likely the reason why they were kept on that line since 207th Street knew those cars more then anyone. I bet he was, cause that is crazy. Having to get out and handle those doors at every stop. I wonder how they rode compared to everything else during that period.

The 1st train right now is the one that moved from Fresh Pond to East New York or it a set borrowed from the (C)? I remember you said plenty of times that some of cars from that R32 train were back in service.

The set was borrowed from the (C)

Edited by R32 3838

Alright, so which one of you was the guy who came up to me at Jay St last night and asked when the R32's were gonna start running on the (A) again..... and then wouldn't accept my answer when I told you THEY AREN'T.

Amusing!

No he shouldn't calmdown, the man is doing his job and some foamer asks him a question about the swap and he's said its not happening and the foamer can't handle the answer of course he's gonna be irritated, alot of times foamers can be very annoying

Everybody who works in a public setting knows that sometimes members of the public ask silly questions. It's not worth getting worked up over them.

You know I use to (and still think) trespassing onto private property to take photos or videos of trains was crazy enough, but for someone to come up and ask a person doing their job when a fleet of trains is running just takes the cake here. What's even worse is that the person refused to accept the fact the R32s are not running on the (A) this year. You can't write this stuff anywhere guys. 

(scratches head)

Repeatedly asking a question is worse than trespassing? Really?

It went something like this.

Me: This is Jay St-Metrotech, transfer to the (F) and cross over for (A) & (C) towards Manhattan

Foamer: Hey when is this equipment gonna start running on the (A) again?

Me: It isn't. This is a (C) local train to Euclid Ave

Foamer: But they did it last summer!

Me: Well they aren't this year. Next stop will be Hoyt-Schemememrmerhorn

Foamer: But they do it every summer! When are they gonna do it?

Me: *ignores him cuz I already answered him twice* Stand clear of the closing doors please!

And realizm, I just took a long vacation (both from work and the message boards) last month. I'm out of vacation days for the year....but yeah, I could use another one already.....

lol @ Schemememrmerhorn

Doesn't sound like a foamer to me - he didn't even know they're called R32's. Sounds more like a curious (and perhaps overly persistent) rider who's noticed the change the past few years. Maybe he finds one of the car classes more comfortable than the other (and I won't hazard a guess at which).

I think the big issue here is not that the guy asked Snowblock but rather than accepting the answer he received he instead proceeded to tell him, a transit employee, how he was "wrong" about the inner workings of HIS OWN transit system. Regardless of your age, it's incredibly immature to do.

Was it immature of me to tell the conductor on a D train at Broadway-Lafayette on the local track, in no uncertain terms, that, despite his announcement, his next stop was not going to be Grand St.?

He checked with his train operator and confirmed what I told him. He corrected his announcement and thanked me for saving his ass. Better for him to suffer a bit of mild embarrassment than to bear the wrath of the entire trainload when it pulled into 2nd Avenue.

(There had been a police investigation somewhere around DeKalb that had suspended all southbound service across the bridge. Service had just resumed, but this conductor didn't realize that he was past the point of no return. Not two minutes after his train pulled out, another D pulled in on the express.)

Anyway, I can tell you with certainty that the (A) is never going to see the R32's again. They have been specifically banned from that line, as well as any other line which runs with 10 cars, due to the lack of proper controls in the B-cab for conductors, As far as I know, the R160's HAVE been approved for the Rockaways again, but don't get your hopes up because only 5 car sets would run on that line.

Lack of proper controls? In the past ten years alone, R32's have run in 10 car consists on all of the 600-foot lines except the D. What's changed since last September?

They have the same door controls as the A cabs do. He's never operated from the B end. I broke my ass on that (A) last year with the 32 equipment going to the rocks LOCAL both ways in that B cab as many conductors from the past 100 years have. The only thing that it doesn't have that the A cabs have is a seat and an air pressure gauge.

....and a speedometer, horn, air comfort & carbody light on/off switch, and reset button. Not to mention the master controller and brake handle.

....and a speedometer, horn, air comfort & carbody light on/off switch, and reset button. Not to mention the master controller and brake handle.

Ok and as a conductor are those things necessary? Tell me yes and then all those years when c/r's operated on 40 & 42 equimpent and everything else behind that with no seat and 1 window with door controls were wrong.

Well, the thread is done for me, at least, so you're gonna be waiting quite a while......

Nobody missing any of your misinformation. Keep on trucking.

What are you waiting for? The (C) is getting some R160's (they had one running on Sunday), the (J) is getting some R32's (already have some running), the (A) is keeping the R46's. End of thread.

OK, but you could be a little nicer about it. End of story for me. Proceed.

This concludes the final episode of the swap phenomenon. Stay tuned folks for the next exciting summer season of the R32 & A/C Line Fleet swap discussion thread. =D

Maybe this should be renamed the (C)(J) swap thread.

Ok and as a conductor are those things necessary? Tell me yes and then all those years when c/r's operated on 40 & 42 equimpent and everything else behind that with no seat and 1 window with door controls were wrong.

Wouldn't they need that air comfort switch? Then again, the air conditioners on those things aren't the jet engines they are on the 142 so people can actually still hear...... Edited by rr4567

Nobody missing any of your misinformation. Keep on trucking.

Well I don't know how you operate, but I use the horn on a pretty regular basis - to signal for help and to get people off the yellow line when I'm trying to observe. It's also been proven that customers are 10x more likely to listen to your announcement if you make it right after turning off the air comfort, so I do that at the 2nd to last stop if the train is a layup/relay and whenever we're encountering a reroute or GO. It'd be a bit of an inconvenience to have to walk to the other end of the car (and TWICE if you have to turn it back on!).

Oh, and don't give me that "ask the T/O to do it for you", because #1 the C/R is in charge of the train and #2 the 32's don't have IC's either, and I don't want RCC or the customers knowing our business. I guess I'll have to settle for the NYCTF readers knowing it though......

The gauge and speedometer aren't NECESSARY, but they're the only way to tell what is going on up front, especially when you're stopped on the off-side and can't see the signals. If my T/O is taking 80 lbs of air, I know we got a red signal, and when he releases it, I know it's just changed. Not to mention that the gauge is the best way to tell (since the 32's don't have a TOD) where on the train you have a pulled cord.

I am utterly amazed and shocked when I found out what kind of amenities the TA used to expect C/R's to operate without. For the longest time they didn't even get RADIOS!

I am utterly amazed and shocked when I found out what kind of amenities the TA used to expect C/R's to operate without. For the longest time they didn't even get RADIOS!

That's effin' retarded. How are the supervisors expected to have C/R's do their jobs in overseeing operations and ensuring appropriate order, conduct and safety for the strap-hangers on a train in service, keeping in contact with central command without radios? Sorry, some of the people above your heads sometimes, really. Reminds me of the nonsense in the IT dept I had to deal with with a certain city agency before I said the heck with it and went private sector. My former supervisors and directors expecting me to fix problems without PARTS........

Edited by realizm

That's effin' retarded. How are the supervisors expected to have C/R's do their jobs in overseeing operations and ensuring appropriate order, conduct and safety for the strap-hangers on a train in service, keeping in contact with central command without radios? Sorry, some of the people above your heads sometimes, really. Reminds me of the nonsense in the IT dept I had to deal with with a certain city agency before I said the heck with it and went private sector. My former supervisors and directors expecting me to fix problems without PARTS........

The TA is still running strong all these years so I'm sure there were ways about things back then.

between now and this weekend they should start swapping the 40 R160A-1s and R32s, since July 1st is the start date for the R160A-1s to start service on the (C)

34 street northbound local during the morning rush should be interesting on the local platform. that plat is wall to wall people waiting for an E to go to Lexington. So now when they see a 160 (C) pulling up I wish I can be there and watch the confusion.