Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

16 R32's are in ENY yard on the two lower tracks closest to the higher tracks. Visible from the (L) platform.

Henderson, you're going to like this. 3610 & 3611 were in there.

I know, another thing is that those R32s might just stay there until retirement and the R42 may go bye bye or go to the A or to work service due to them rotting (again this is just a rumor)

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, another thing is that those R32s might just stay there until retirement and the R42 may go bye bye or go to the A or to work service due to them rotting (again this is just a rumor)

Send them to garbage trains and return the 32's Why don't they do this? They have cold A/C for the workers.

Why not just send the worst R42s to the (C) and get replaced by R32s till retirement.

*facepalm*

We just went through this in the last few pages ago. The R40s and R42s only have C/R controls at the blind ends, not the faces. And as per rule, the C/R is suppose to be in the middle position where passengers can see him/her.

*facepalm*

We just went through this in the last few pages ago. The R40s and R42s only have C/R controls at the blind ends, not the faces. And as per rule, the C/R is suppose to be in the middle position where passengers can see him/her.

Ok where did you here this because on the (J) the C/R's are not in the middle with 42 equipment

Ok where did you here this because on the (J) the C/R's are not in the middle with 42 equipment

I meant the 5th and 6th car which is actually the middle if the train is ten cars in sets of five and not eight cars in sets of four. And that the R40s and R42s have to stop all the way at the 10 car marker or S car marker regardless of them being eight cars in sets of four due to aforementioned reasons.

Sorry if I was unclear....I was basically referring to the mainline IND/BMT B Division (not BMT Eastern Division)....

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I don't think any retired R42s are being reactivated... those 14 units at 207th are just not qualified for service. (or at least it doesn't look like it)

Isn't there a 6th set of R42s at Eny just laying around there that are retired ?

I meant the 5th and 6th car which is actually the middle if the train is ten cars in sets of five and not eight cars in sets of four. And that the R40s and R42s have to stop all the way at the 10 car marker or S car marker regardless of them being eight cars in sets of four due to aforementioned reasons.

Sorry if I was unclear....I was basically referring to the mainline IND/BMT B Division (not BMT Eastern Division)....

R42's could run on the C if R42 conductor boards were posted at each station, as they are on the Eastern Division. But that would be an unnecessary expense, especially at stations with visibility issues that would need new monitors installed.

Isn't there a 6th set of R42s at Eny just laying around there that are retired ?

East New York has 50 active R42's. Whichever cars aren't being used for service on any given day are spares.

East New York has 50 active R42's. Whichever cars aren't being used for service on any given day are spares.

I believe he might be talking about the 14 mothballed R-42s at 207th Street Yard.  In any case, I wouldn't expect to see those cars make a comeback anytime soon, unless there was a sudden shortage in current equipment or some other sort of emergency.

There's 6 and 6 cars next to eachother, one 6 car set went in the shop while the other one waits, its only 12 cars there besides the 4 already there

There are 8 cars that are being prepped again, and like 4 more at 207th but those are for parts.

No R32s are in storage besides the 4 at CI &ENY (the ones that were at fresh pond) there were 6 R32s that were OOS, those are now gone, you only have 10 R32s that are in work service that's it

Edited by R32 3838

There's 6 and 6 cars next to eachother, one 6 car set went in the shop while the other one waits, its only 12 cars there besides the 4 already there

No R32s are in storage besides the 4 at CI &ENY (the ones that were at fresh pond) there were 6 R32s that were OOS, those are now gone, you only have 10 R32s that are in work service that's it

I think only one pair was actually taken off property (3746/47); the other two pairs are still used for parts or something (3676/77 & 3797/97)... another pair (3720/21) is also at CIY but I have no idea about its status.

I think only one pair was actually taken off property (3746/47); the other two pairs are still used for parts or something (3676/77 & 3797/97)... another pair (3720/21) is also at CIY but I have no idea about its status.

all of them are gone, 3720/1 is still at CI in storage, that pair has been OOS since early 2009

Joe Korner, the former MTA worker, has finally updated his NYCS car assignment sheet, showing that 20 R62s are running on the (1), 10 R62As are running on the (6) at the PM Rush, 8 R32s running on the (J)(Z) and 4 more trains additionally assigned to the shuttle train that runs in Queens between Broad Channel and Rockaway Park due to the outer track out of service and forcing those shuttle trains to relay near Howard Beach. No wonder there are timers after the drawbridge to slow the (A) down N/B, back then it used to blast into Howard Beach-JFK Airport at 45 MPH.

http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/irt-2013-05-30.html

http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2013-05-30.html

Edited by RollOverMyHead