Interpreting Subway Advisories

nostalgia

Does this advisory mean that the (F) runs local continuously from 12:30 AM May 24 through 5 AM May 27 or does it mean the (F) runs local ONLY between 12:30 AM to 5 AM May 24, 25, 26, 27.

There are GOs that in effect only during the daylight hours, the night hours, and throughout the whole day (day and night).

Thank you for your assistance.

F.png Trains run local in Queens

Weekend & Holiday, 12:30 AM Sat to 5 AM Tue, May 24 - 27

Trains stop at 36 St, Steinway St, 46 St, Northern Blvd, 65 St, Roosevelt,
Elmhurst, Grand Avs, Woodhaven Blvd, 63 Dr, and 67 Av.

All times between those days. If it was only during a certain point of the day, it would read something like this:

12:30 AM - 5 AM, Saturday - Tuesday

and not

12:30 AM Sat - 5 AM Tuesday

All times between those days. If it was only during a certain point of the day, it would read something like this:

12:30 AM - 5 AM, Saturday - Tuesday

and not

12:30 AM Sat - 5 AM Tuesday

So, for the Memorial Day weekend, (F) trains run local continuously from Sat 12:30 AM to Tuesday 5 AM.

Thank you.

Sometimes, reading these advisories reminds me of learning punctuation in high school. A misplaced comma can change the meaning of a sentence.

I mean, they're better than the unplanned service change advisories which are often cryptic and sometimes flat out wrong.

But yes - this F advisory is for the full 3 day weekend. They've been doing it for the last few weekends while working on the interlocking at 71.

Service has been pretty good though, sometimes when all 3 lines are local delays abound but service has been smooth and frequent.

As a local rider at 46 street I have no complaints but it must be a drag for those on the east end of the line. An extra 10 stops for express trains!

I mean, they're better than the unplanned service change advisories which are often cryptic and sometimes flat out wrong.

But yes - this F advisory is for the full 3 day weekend. They've been doing it for the last few weekends while working on the interlocking at 71.

Service has been pretty good though, sometimes when all 3 lines are local delays abound but service has been smooth and frequent.

As a local rider at 46 street I have no complaints but it must be a drag for those on the east end of the line. An extra 10 stops for express trains!

It's not just the extra stops. The whole schedule is thrown into turmoil. Crews can't make their scheduled turns at Coney Island and Jamaica because they are way behind schedule.

I just checked. The (E) is running local between 71st Street and Queens Plaza. The local tracks will be jammed with the (E), (F), and (R). There's no mention of running fewer (E) and (F) trains to alleviate congestion.

Yeah try riding all the way to/from 179 and see just how "smooth" things are....

nostalgia - it's 12 minute headways for the (E)(F) and (R) .

I'm going to check my transit math. The (E), (F), and (R) all run on the local tracks with each train's headway set for 12 minutes. This means each route will have 5 trains a hour for a total of 15 trains a hour, which is a 4 minute headway, which the system can handle. (The only problem is the (R) schedule isn't calibrated with the (E) and (F) so there could be some bunching.)

Suppose there's extra 20 minute running time for the (E) and (F) between Jamaica and the other terminus. If a crew's work schedule is 6 trips a day (about 8 hours), they will work an extra 2 hours (6 trips * 20 minutes). So there will be OT. But this throws the crews out of position. A crew going to CI may find their flip trip has left before they get there. How are work schedules rearranged?

Tis annoying........

I don't know why they don't just terminate the (R) at Queens Plaza and relay on D5 like the (G) used to (And it can still hold 600ft trains). Even if crossing over delayed the (E), it would only be there, and then would be out of the way for the rest of the way to CTL. Certainly better than putting the (R) in front of the (E) (as they often do, it seems), and then the (R) has to be emptied out at CTL in front of both the (E) and (F). At Queens Plaza, the (R) still has it's own side of the platform to not get in the way in the most time consuming function.

If they did this, they wouldn't have to change the headways on the (E) and (F).

I don't know why they don't just terminate the (R) at Queens Plaza and relay on D5 like the (G) used to (And it can still hold 600ft trains). Even if crossing over delayed the (E), it would only be there, and then would be out of the way for the rest of the way to CTL. Certainly better than putting the (R) in front of the (E) (as they often do, it seems), and then the (R) has to be emptied out at CTL in front of both the (E) and (F). At Queens Plaza, the (R) still has it's own side of the platform to not get in the way in the most time consuming function.

If they did this, they wouldn't have to change the headways on the (E) and (F).

What is CTL? I couldn't find it on the R line map.

Where can someone find this weekend R train "supplement schedule"?  Weekend R train afternoon waits in Brooklyn have gotten so bad, that I've started to make a spreadsheet of the times it leaves on Saturday/Sunday to see if it follows a pattern.  Surprisingly, every single weekend it's a totally different afternoon schedule leaving Bay Ridge so there is no way to plan.  It's as if they make up the schedule as they go along.

Sat 4/26 leaving 86th St Bklyn:  :12 past the hour

Sun 4/27 leaving 86th St Bklyn:   : 18, :30 past the hour

Sat 5/10 leaving 86th St Bklyn:   :19 past the hour

Sun 5/11 leaving 86th St Bklyn:  :39 past the hour (but there was a 6:13 then a 6:19pm later that day, which was wacky)

Sat 5/17 leaving 86th St Bklyn:   :07 past the hour

Sun 5/18 leaving 86th St Bklyn:   :33, :43 past the hour

To answer the above question, CTL means "71 Ave - Continental Ave".

These supplement schedules are causing severe overcrowding in Brooklyn and Manhattan for R and F train riders.  The simple solution is to terminate the R at 57th/7th (at its regular 10 minute headways) during these weekend diversions. That way, the E and F can return to their normal 10 minute headways too, and it will be much faster for everyone even if you have to transfer.

He means 71 Av-Continental. Never mind, RtrainBlues beat me to it as I just read his statement.

I looked at the (R) line map. The station's name is Forest Hills - 71 Avenue and I'm not familiar with Queens. 71st Road, 71st Avenue, 71st Drive, 71st Street...

Where can someone find this weekend R train "supplement schedule"?  Weekend R train afternoon waits in Brooklyn have gotten so bad, that I've started to make a spreadsheet of the times it leaves on Saturday/Sunday to see if it follows a pattern.  Surprisingly, every single weekend it's a totally different afternoon schedule leaving Bay Ridge so there is no way to plan.  It's as if they make up the schedule as they go along.

Sat 4/26 leaving 86th St Bklyn:  :12 past the hour

Sun 4/27 leaving 86th St Bklyn:   : 18, :30 past the hour

Sat 5/10 leaving 86th St Bklyn:   :19 past the hour

Sun 5/11 leaving 86th St Bklyn:  :39 past the hour (but there was a 6:13 then a 6:19pm later that day, which was wacky)

Sat 5/17 leaving 86th St Bklyn:   :07 past the hour

Sun 5/18 leaving 86th St Bklyn:   :33, :43 past the hour

To answer the above question, CTL means "71 Ave - Continental Ave".

These supplement schedules are causing severe overcrowding in Brooklyn and Manhattan for R and F train riders.  The simple solution is to terminate the R at 57th/7th (at its regular 10 minute headways) during these weekend diversions. That way, the E and F can return to their normal 10 minute headways too, and it will be much faster for everyone even if you have to transfer.

You dont work down here you cant find it Since its a RTO document.

I see you totally ignored my last post all you are worried is about is Brooklyn you can care less about What Queens blvd riders go through...  

Oh and BTW do you know the Quincy goes to 57th Street on Weekends?

Nah of coruse you don't if you did then you should know that is not a great Idea having the Romeo terminate there.

I looked at the (R) line map. The station's name is Forest Hills - 71 Avenue and I'm not familiar with Queens. 71st Road, 71st Avenue, 71st Drive, 71st Street...

71e3.jpg

CTL is the 3 letter code used for that station on all official documents. Guess where STD is.

You'd be surprised just how many customers are afraid to board a (E) or (F) that shows up at a local station just because they're used to taking the (R) from Woodhaven to Elmhurst. A couple weekends ago when they did cut the (R) back to 577 (the (Q) was running to AST that weekend) those local Queens Blvd stations were getting dangerously overcrowded because so many customers wanted their (R)

71e3.jpg

CTL is the 3 letter code used for that station on all official documents. Guess where STD is.

This is from the line map. I don't know where STD is but I know it's treated in a doctor's office.

Stations / Cross Streets Subway

Transfers

r_17.gif   QUEENS gar_3.gif   Forest Hills-71 Avenue /

Queens Boulevard ada_2.gif e_16.gif f_16.gif gar_3.gif   67 Avenue /

Queens Boulevard   gar_3.gif   63 Drive / Rego Park /

Queens Boulevard Plane.gif

This is from the line map. I don't know where STD is but I know it's treated in a doctor's office.

Stations / Cross Streets Subway

Transfers

r_17.gif   QUEENS gar_3.gif   Forest Hills-71 Avenue /

Queens Boulevard ada_2.gif e_16.gif f_16.gif gar_3.gif   67 Avenue /

Queens Boulevard   gar_3.gif   63 Drive / Rego Park /

Queens Boulevard Plane.gif

Looks like the formatting has been lost, so here's the link:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/rline.htm

Where is Delta?

It seems this forum has a unique language for which I need a translator.

You know Stillwell Terminal....

Home of the Delta..

Fox...

November..

Quincy Lines...

We use those words for IDing ourselves on the radio,First Letter is the Line we are working on.

You know Stillwell Terminal....

Home of the Delta..

Fox...

November..

Quincy Lines...

We use those words for IDing ourselves on the radio,First Letter is the Line we are working on.

Thanks very much. I have a scanner and listen to some of the A division, where the trains are numbered, in the Bronx. Nothing comes across the B division frequency because I must be too far away. Unless B division has nothing to talk about.

F train riders at York St, 2nd Ave, and stations all over Brooklyn & Manhattan are suffering far longer waits and extreme train bunching on weekends.  So are R riders all over Brooklyn & Manhattan.  If Ditmars Blvd can handle frequent trains during the week (N and Q), there's no reason why 57/7th couldn't handle both R and Q trains terminating there on weekends.  (Or let R terminate at 57th/7th and Q at Times Square, or vice-versa).  I've seen firsthand the chokepoints especially at 74th/Jackson Heights when trains must merge on weekends; the R sometimes sits for 6 to 8 minutes at 74th/Jackson Heights before it can proceed (usually they let both the E and F go ahead of it.) 

If you terminate the R at 57th/7th, it's obviously good for Brooklyn and Manhattan riders (back to its normal 10 minute headways, no  bunching due to Queens delays), and it's much better for Queens riders too (they'd have more frequent E and F trains at 10 minute headways without the R getting in the way & causing major delays). It's much quicker to transfer in Queens to the E and F (for example from a #7 train) than to sit on a R delayed train that keeps stopping and stopping all the way from Queens Plaza to 71st/Continental.

Or they can do nothing and subject Brooklyn and Manhattan R and F riders to long waits, insane bunching, and much aggravation.  And subject Queens riders to the same insane delays to to merging.  (Also, station cleaners are being given nothing to do for long periods of time as they wait for very delayed R trains to arrive at their terminal.  It's wasting the MTA's money.  This is inefficiency at its worst.)

Also, I don't understand why it's so difficult to post the supplement schedule on the internet.  It seems to be different every single weekend with the R train.  Even if it's just a handwritten piece of paper, just scan it and post it.  It would greatly help.

What's to say that the E and F won't remain at the 12 minute intervals they are now without the R?

As for turning both the N and Q at Midtown-57 St, they'd both have to leave 57 St almost immediately after terminating there so as not to delay the entire Broadway line. That's not the case at Ditmars Blvd where both the N and Q lines are doing the same thing. Turning one line at Times Sq and the other at 57 St puts too much pressure on the N. Like I've said before, the situation is not ideal, far from it actually, but reducing service on Queens Blvd will likely not solve the bunching problems. That will only be fixed by finishing the work on the line.

Archived