Interpreting Subway Advisories

nostalgia

F train riders at York St, 2nd Ave, and stations all over Brooklyn & Manhattan are suffering far longer waits and extreme train bunching on weekends.  So are R riders all over Brooklyn & Manhattan.  If Ditmars Blvd can handle frequent trains during the week (N and Q), there's no reason why 57/7th couldn't handle both R and Q trains terminating there on weekends.  (Or let R terminate at 57th/7th and Q at Times Square, or vice-versa).  I've seen firsthand the chokepoints especially at 74th/Jackson Heights when trains must merge on weekends; the R sometimes sits for 6 to 8 minutes at 74th/Jackson Heights before it can proceed (usually they let both the E and F go ahead of it.) 

If you terminate the R at 57th/7th, it's obviously good for Brooklyn and Manhattan riders (back to its normal 10 minute headways, no  bunching due to Queens delays), and it's much better for Queens riders too (they'd have more frequent E and F trains at 10 minute headways without the R getting in the way & causing major delays). It's much quicker to transfer in Queens to the E and F (for example from a #7 train) than to sit on a R delayed train that keeps stopping and stopping all the way from Queens Plaza to 71st/Continental.

Or they can do nothing and subject Brooklyn and Manhattan R and F riders to long waits, insane bunching, and much aggravation.  And subject Queens riders to the same insane delays to to merging.  (Also, station cleaners are being given nothing to do for long periods of time as they wait for very delayed R trains to arrive at their terminal.  It's wasting the MTA's money.  This is inefficiency at its worst.)

Also, I don't understand why it's so difficult to post the supplement schedule on the internet.  It seems to be different every single weekend with the R train.  Even if it's just a handwritten piece of paper, just scan it and post it.  It would greatly help.

Oh Stop it please you never mentioned F train Riders Until i got started with you.  

Let me try it this way...

This thing called Work programs timetables..

You see it costs Money to change things down here Money obviously you cannot see that they dont have.

Did you forget what was said to you about the R train sharing trackage with the N and Q lines as well?

Of coruse you did...

Supplement schedules are RTO property and for RTO employees Only.

When the R line goes back to the Tubes on the weekends this will help a lot as well, something else that was explained to you.

If the TA felt it was need to know they would post something online so stop asking..

What's to say that the E and F won't remain at the 12 minute intervals they are now without the R?

As for turning both the N and Q at Midtown-57 St, they'd both have to leave 57 St almost immediately after terminating there so as not to delay the entire Broadway line. That's not the case at Ditmars Blvd where both the N and Q lines are doing the same thing. Turning one line at Times Sq and the other at 57 St puts too much pressure on the N. Like I've said before, the situation is not ideal, far from it actually, but reducing service on Queens Blvd will likely not solve the bunching problems. That will only be fixed by finishing the work on the line.

Hes only worried about his R line in Brooklyn Nothing else...

Dont know who hes trying to fool...

The R was running just fine on weekends from August 2013 thru December 2013.  They posted new R train timetables for the Hurricane Sandy reconstruction, and weekend R trains were following that schedule TO THE MINUTE.  Everything was perfect.  There were no delays with N or Q trains, since the R was leaving Bay Ridge 2 minutes earlier than its normal (pre Hurricane Sandy) schedule.  Did anyone ride the weekend R on weekends from August 2013 thru December 2013?  It was absolutely perfect - and you didn't hear from me at all during that time period, since it was a dream come true with the R train.

Then, as of January/February 2014, they suddenly started subjecting R train riders to endless weekend supplement schedules with 12+ minute headways.  Every single weekend it's a different supplement now.  Perhaps I should make a chart that shows just what track work is being done, since maybe that's how they determine the supplement (R leaves Bay Ridge at a different time if it's express from Queens Plaza to 74th/Roosevelt, versus if it's local from Queens Plaza to 74th/Roosevelt.)

If they can post the subway schedules on the internet, why can't they post the supplement schedules on the internet?  I'll have to keep calling the MTA every weekend and keep complaining until either they stop the supplements or they post the supplements.  It's utterly bizarre why a timetable would be considered top secret information.

It's not just "oh it's an extra 2 minutes wait, get over it".  It's not knowing when the train is leaving, so you wait 12 minutes for an R, where I previously had to wait 0 minutes.  And then you miss the connection to the N and D trains which are still running at 10 minute headways, so you have to now wait up to 10 minutes for them.   So 12 + 10 = an additional 22 minutes to my commute now.

Trust me, the supplements to the R ***will continue*** when it goes back thru the tunnel.  In the year 2011, there were 48 out of 52 weekends where the R was running on a supplement schedule - I counted every miserable weekend where they had 12 minute headways.  The only weekends it wasn't was Thanksgiving holiday weekend and Christmas holiday weekend, plus 2 other random weekends.  These supplements are because of Queens Blvd trackwork, not because of the R running via the bridge.  There are special weekend timetables for the R to run via the bridge at 10 minute headways (page 8 of http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/trcur.pdf), but they *ARE NO LONGER* being followed due to these supplements.

And I also know to avoid the F on weekends too - I will use other trains to get around if possible to avoid the extremely long waits and bunched trains on the F line.  It appears the E has been running at more frequent headways along Queens Blvd than the R and F, since I was able to time the E at Union Tpke to its regular weekend schedule recently, but definitely not the F.  Haven't had any issues with the E, only the F and the R .

@RtrainBlues: You do realize those printed schedules are little more than a guideline in optimal conditions, right? Well you can forget about the trains running at anything close to the printed schedule when construction work affects the line.

71e3.jpg

CTL is the 3 letter code used for that station on all official documents. Guess where STD is.

You'd be surprised just how many customers are afraid to board a (E) or (F) that shows up at a local station just because they're used to taking the (R) from Woodhaven to Elmhurst. A couple weekends ago when they did cut the (R) back to 577 (the (Q) was running to AST that weekend) those local Queens Blvd stations were getting dangerously overcrowded because so many customers wanted their (R) .

But that's because they are not used to it,If they make it permanent then it would be less crowded.

Well, of course the (E) is going to run like-better, RtrainBlues. It is one of the fewer shorter lines in the system. But like RTOMan said, all those three services on the Queens Boulevard line each run 5 tph due to the constant track work.

The R was running just fine on weekends from August 2013 thru December 2013.  They posted new R train timetables for the Hurricane Sandy reconstruction, and weekend R trains were following that schedule TO THE MINUTE.  Everything was perfect.  There were no delays with N or Q trains, since the R was leaving Bay Ridge 2 minutes earlier than its normal (pre Hurricane Sandy) schedule.  Did anyone ride the weekend R on weekends from August 2013 thru December 2013?  It was absolutely perfect - and you didn't hear from me at all during that time period, since it was a dream come true with the R train.

Then, as of January/February 2014, they suddenly started subjecting R train riders to endless weekend supplement schedules with 12+ minute headways.  Every single weekend it's a different supplement now.  Perhaps I should make a chart that shows just what track work is being done, since maybe that's how they determine the supplement (R leaves Bay Ridge at a different time if it's express from Queens Plaza to 74th/Roosevelt, versus if it's local from Queens Plaza to 74th/Roosevelt.)

If they can post the subway schedules on the internet, why can't they post the supplement schedules on the internet?  I'll have to keep calling the MTA every weekend and keep complaining until either they stop the supplements or they post the supplements.  It's utterly bizarre why a timetable would be considered top secret information.

It's not just "oh it's an extra 2 minutes wait, get over it".  It's not knowing when the train is leaving, so you wait 12 minutes for an R, where I previously had to wait 0 minutes.  And then you miss the connection to the N and D trains which are still running at 10 minute headways, so you have to now wait up to 10 minutes for them.   So 12 + 10 = an additional 22 minutes to my commute now.

Trust me, the supplements to the R ***will continue*** when it goes back thru the tunnel.  In the year 2011, there were 48 out of 52 weekends where the R was running on a supplement schedule - I counted every miserable weekend where they had 12 minute headways.  The only weekends it wasn't was Thanksgiving holiday weekend and Christmas holiday weekend, plus 2 other random weekends.  These supplements are because of Queens Blvd trackwork, not because of the R running via the bridge.  There are special weekend timetables for the R to run via the bridge at 10 minute headways (page 8 of http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/trcur.pdf), but they *ARE NO LONGER* being followed due to these supplements.

And I also know to avoid the F on weekends too - I will use other trains to get around if possible to avoid the extremely long waits and bunched trains on the F line.  It appears the E has been running at more frequent headways along Queens Blvd than the R and F, since I was able to time the E at Union Tpke to its regular weekend schedule recently, but definitely not the F.  Haven't had any issues with the E, only the F and the R .

Here's a solution since nothing seems to register in your head what I'm saying leave earlier!! Problem solved ...

Well, of course the (E) is going to run like-better, RtrainBlues. It is one of the fewer shorter lines in the system. But like RTOMan said, all those three services on the Queens Boulevard line each run 5 tph due to the constant track work.

He can't see logic and common sense smh only worried about himself.. Well RTO don't revolve around him or people who think like him...

You sound to me like one of those customers who expects to pay your $2.25, walk down stairs and see the train coming in immediately every single time. Well in the real world, it doesn't work like that. Especially not on weekends, especially not when there is flagging all over. The supplements don't get posted because #1 99% of customers don't even look at the regular schedules (heck I'd bet 95% of them don't even know that there ARE regular schedules) #2 these supplements are just guidelines - dispatchers make real time adjustments based on how service is actually running. This weekend, for example, every single S/B (F) was arriving 10-15 minutes late at STF, due to the slow speed areas between Briarwood and Kew, and between Roosevelt Ave and 65 St. Headways had to be adjusted so that even spacing could be kept when those trains get sent back north (and none of them could leave at their scheduled time due to late arriving equipment). If we post the supplements online, then we're gonna have sticklers like you complaining that the 1022 (F) out of STF didn't leave until 1027.

Or like everyone else said - LEAVE EARLIER and give yourself extra time. Never expect a train to show up right on schedule, supplement or not. You want personalized service, that's what taxis are for.

You sound to me like one of those customers who expects to pay your $2.25, walk down stairs and see the train coming in immediately every single time. Well in the real world, it doesn't work like that. Especially not on weekends, especially not when there is flagging all over. The supplements don't get posted because #1 99% of customers don't even look at the regular schedules (heck I'd bet 95% of them don't even know that there ARE regular schedules) #2 these supplements are just guidelines - dispatchers make real time adjustments based on how service is actually running. This weekend, for example, every single S/B (F) was arriving 10-15 minutes late at STF, due to the slow speed areas between Briarwood and Kew, and between Roosevelt Ave and 65 St. Headways had to be adjusted so that even spacing could be kept when those trains get sent back north (and none of them could leave at their scheduled time due to late arriving equipment). If we post the supplements online, then we're gonna have sticklers like you complaining that the 1022 (F) out of STF didn't leave until 1027.

Or like everyone else said - LEAVE EARLIER and give yourself extra time. Never expect a train to show up right on schedule, supplement or not. You want personalized service, that's what taxis are for.

Instead of looking for schedules, use the (MTA) ride guide. There will be a special note if there's an advisory, alert, etc. I agree few people look at the schedules. But then it's not necessary to look with the ride guide.

I think you meant  $2.50

No contest, because of the funding sources. WMATA subway recovers 75% of its cost from the farebox. I couldn't find a comparable figure for the subway alone.

CBCNY says it's about 76%, mostly because of the sheer volume of people that the subway handles. Keep in mind that part of the reason WMATA mints so much money from its subway is because the subway and bus fare are not integrated in the way that MTA fare covers both subway and bus.

BLOG_Table1_11262012.png

GREAT POST!!!!!

Now watch it go in one ear and the other with this guy....

Archived