Metro-North fires 9 rookie conductors and reassigns 3 others after caught cheating on safety exams

Harry

post-5097-0-94681500-1404296683_thumb.jpg
Metro-North fired nine rookie conductors and reassigned three others Tuesday amid an investigation of cheating on critical safety exams. One or more of the first-year conductors, who were in a training program, apparently got access to the written test, used a smartphone to photograph it, then shared it with others, sources said. The pictures of the exam were later posted on the Internet, the sources said. The dozen represent the training class’s entire membership. Adam Lisberg, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North’s parent, declined comment on the investigation, but said the railroad has already taken action. “Metro-North Railroad is disbanding this conductor class,” Lisberg said.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-94681500-1404296683_thumb.jpg

I am glad they was caught on especially after the Metro North derailment. they deserve the kick in the butt. All test should be different so no one can cheat. this should be treated like driver written test

I'm curious as to whether all 12 had any involvement and if they were what proof they have?

Any involvement how?? Yes, they were all involved in cheating and they should all be fired.  The only thing saving those three from not being fired is the union actually backing their behavior.  Disgusting.  Nine of them were rookies, and the other three previously held other positions within the MNRR, so I guess because they had a little "seniority", the union thought they should fight for them despite their actions.

Yes, they were all involved in cheating and they should all be fired. 

Do you know that for a fact or is it true because the media said so?  Just like another media article now states that there was at least one that wasn't involved.

How hard could a safety class test be? If it's anything like NYCTA's safety classes and tests anyone with a half a brain could have passed it.

The test in question wasn't a true safety test.  It's a test on physical characteristics.  Names of interlockings, crossings, station platforms and lengths, where the emergency exits are in the Park Avenue tunnel, what the system wide emergency protocol is,  speeds of the territory, etc.

Do you know that for a fact or is it true because the media said so?  Just like another media article now states that there was at least one that wasn't involved.

My point is whoever was involved should be fired.  If the other three weren't involved, then why were they essentially demoted?  Doesn't make any sense. If they had no involvement, then why demote them?

The test in question wasn't a true safety test. It's a test on physical characteristics. Names of interlockings, crossings, station platforms and lengths, where the emergency exits are in the Park Avenue tunnel, what the system wide emergency protocol is, speeds of the territory, etc.

Thanks. Just read the full article. The test seemed a little more involved than just a safety test, hehe

My point is whoever was involved should be fired.  If the other three weren't involved, then why were they essentially demoted?  Doesn't make any sense. If they had no involvement, then why demote them?

I agree who ever is involved should be fired. 

To me it's not about the three that reverted back to their old craft vs who was hired off the street.  I'm just saying I hope there is proof that each and every of the 12 was involved and someone isn't getting fired (or demoted) for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I agree who ever is involved should be fired. 

To me it's not about the three that reverted back to their old craft vs who was hired off the street.  I'm just saying I hope there is proof that each and every of the 12 was involved and someone isn't getting fired (or demoted) for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I agree and that's precisely my point... If they didn't do anything wrong why wouldn't they just keep their old positions?

I don't know.

Back to my original point: I hope they have proof that all were involved.

I'm also waiting for you to tell me how you know they were (as you stated).

How else would any of us know?? We're all going off of what the (MTA) has reported to the media.

Isn't it possible that the 3 who were demoted did nothing wrong but were sent back because the class was canceled?

That's not the impression that was given... The way it was put was that they were also involved and were demoted rather than fired because the union fought for them to keep their jobs.

......were demoted rather than fired because the union fought for them to keep their jobs.

No fight by the union. As long as they continued to pay dues into their old craft (union), they could revert back any time they wanted to.

Archived