LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just took my cognitive and Vocabulary last Monday.  Unfortunately they postponed the exploratory interviews because of the virus.  They actually mentioned that it will be done over the phone.

1.  Had any experience this type of delay before?

2.  If so, how soon after the test does it take for them to reach out?

Thanks in advance.  Always appreciate it.

17 minutes ago, Stevend258 said:

Don’t expect anything soon I’m in phase 2 and they cancelled our training for now 

Oh wow!  When Lucille emailed me the other day, saying that I'll be emailed be back in a few weeks for interview. I have a feeling at this point a few weeks is probably going to be a month at the earliest considering everything going on. 

21 hours ago, Richkdr said:

Oh wow!  When Lucille emailed me the other day, saying that I'll be emailed be back in a few weeks for interview. I have a feeling at this point a few weeks is probably going to be a month at the earliest considering everything going on. 

I just got the email from her stating that they are going to proceed to signals and definition!

Just need to wait it until they are able to proceed.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning folks.  I found an attachment in the download section to this forum.  - "LIRR Rules of the Operating Department" - Are those the signals that need to be memorize to verbatim for the s&d overview?

I have also found the definitions handbook from an unknown website.  It gave definitions, duties & responsibilities, terminology, authorized abbreviations, general rules. Altogether 127 pages. Bottom of the booklet states GO202.  Do I need to memorize the entire book for the S&D?

Any advice will be helpful.  I'm still waiting from HR on when I can go in for the s&d overview due to Covid-19.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, BCDubs said:

Good morning folks.  I found an attachment in the download section to this forum.  - "LIRR Rules of the Operating Department" - Are those the signals that need to be memorize to verbatim for the s&d overview?

I have also found the definitions handbook from an unknown website.  It gave definitions, duties & responsibilities, terminology, authorized abbreviations, general rules. Altogether 127 pages. Bottom of the booklet states GO202.  Do I need to memorize the entire book for the S&D?

Any advice will be helpful.  I'm still waiting from HR on when I can go in for the s&d overview due to Covid-19.

Thanks!

Afternoon,

I wouldn’t use anything you found on the website.  To give you an idea, we are on GO 506 so what you have there is severely outdated.  I know it’s hard to hear being your eagerness to learn the material, but you should wait till you are given the material.  What they hand to you will be what you are responsible to learn.  Unfortunately, from now until you are given the overview things may change.  That is the harsh reality.  You may study a bunch of information that may become useless in the future.

From when I took S&D to now in Phase 2, one definition has been deleted, another added and a couple of them have changed.  Not to mention the addition of a whole new section of rules with others edited, revised or eliminated   It’s constantly changing and evolving.  Even the maps we draw are changing at least once a month.

Patience is key in this process, especially in the current time of uncertainty around us.  

Be safe out there!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 2:17 PM, BrotherOne said:

Had physical test pre-Phase One. Phase One to begin April 29. was told some classes may be at home due to COVID-19 concerns.

Phase 1 starts for me on April 29th too. I haven’t heard anything much other than that. 

On 4/20/2020 at 2:17 PM, BrotherOne said:

Had physical test pre-Phase One. Phase One to begin April 29. was told some classes may be at home due to COVID-19 concerns.

Have you received any information other than to be at hillside on Wednesday ?

5 hours ago, Plantain-Papi said:

Ah okay thank you. I had my interview on Oct 21, still haven’t heard back yet. Obviously the pandemic has delayed things so Ill remain patient. 

As should everyone.  Phase two is continuing just no classroom settings and tests are on hold at the moment.  We are working jobs until further notice.  

Be safe out there.

22 hours ago, Iwetoddit said:

As should everyone.  Phase two is continuing just no classroom settings and tests are on hold at the moment.  We are working jobs until further notice.  

Be safe out there.

Thanks you too. May be a dumb question but what is phase 1 like, I understand it will be a lot of studying but does the class help ease the stress of things, do we work with one another, does the instructor help us understand or are we hit with questions pertaining to the signals and their indications and definitions verbatim, to be able to recite verbally on top of the new material. I apologize but I am just nervous 

1 hour ago, Haimike said:

Thanks you too. May be a dumb question but what is phase 1 like, I understand it will be a lot of studying but does the class help ease the stress of things, do we work with one another, does the instructor help us understand or are we hit with questions pertaining to the signals and their indications and definitions verbatim, to be able to recite verbally on top of the new material. I apologize but I am just nervous 

Phase one you get the rules book and begin to learn them.  You will go over them in portions.  As you go through the portions you will be tested on it.  You will still be responsible for signals, indications and definitions also.  This is why it suggested to keep up with the material.  

You can study with others if possible but sometimes with everyone juggling jobs and this, it makes it harder.

Classroom setting gives you the ability to gauge how you are progressing with learning the material.  Unlike the S&D where you are on your own, here you get to ask questions.  Being nervous is normal cause it’s going to feel like a lot.  Just keep up with it.  It’s more memorization but the brain is an amazing muscle when you put it to work.

1 hour ago, Haimike said:

The class does not help ease the stress. It just adds more. You have start memorizing the book of rules when they give it to you. Example. First Wednesday You will get the book. You go over all the pages and rules leading up to the #100 rules. You have to memorize those. You meet on Saturday you will he tested on what you studied and learned on Wednesday. Every time you meet, more rules are added and more quizzes. It just keeps piling on on top of the signals and definitions. Every time you meet you will get a signals and definition test and before the class is over you will do a verbatim of the definitions or rules on what you learned from the previous class. This will either be done at the beginning of class or end or both. Depends on who the instructor is.  Hope this helps ease the stress. 

Edited by drenyce311

• 1 month later...