Locals Pushing for Metro-North Stations in Queens

realizm

Capture_zps2bf8b4f9.png

WOODSIDE — Residents are pushing to add at least one Metro-North station in Queens as part of expanded access to Penn Station, saying the borough carries the burden, but none of the benefits, of the plan to add more train service.

Ali Fadil, 20, created a similar petition in 2012 but says his latest push addresses infrastructure issues along the Amtrak tracks and cites specific locations for possible stations.

Among the suggestions for Metro-North stations in Queens are Broadway and Northern Boulevard in Woodside and on Astoria Boulevard between 41st and 44th streets in Astoria. Both are next to existing tracks.

"If they're bringing more trains here...then we have to make sure that the best interest of Queens is being protected here," he said.

The petition also asks the MTA to repair tracks in Astoria and Woodside, which Fadil said are crumbling.

"The burden of additional trains that Metro-North wants to put on Western Queens will only help to accelerate structural issues that exist with the Amtrak right of way in Western Queens," he wrote in the petition.

Read more: Source

I ONLY support the plan if current Metro-North stations see improvements.  I for one am tired of paying so much and having to stand on the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines.  If Western Queens needs so much service fine, but there needs to be MORE service improvements for those of us in the outer parts of Manhattan (i.e. Riverdale, Westchester and Connecticut). We need MORE trains to deal with the overcrowding.  Metro-North needs to take care of its current customers FIRST and THEN they can expand. I still support express bus service for Western Queens following along the proposed Metro-North line. If that's successful, then you can consider the Metro-North service. You could even have branches serving LGA from Manhattan, going to Queens and then branches to the Bronx.

So Ali actually got on the tracks and seen that the tracks are crumbling. Another question is who is Ali and I hope he is not some 20 year old foamer.

Ali is someone who is in involve in politics in Queens and in Astoria. I think this is great idea for Astoria as I have seen news report of problem with Amtrak tracks myself. 

So Ali actually got on the tracks and seen that the tracks are crumbling. Another question is who is Ali and I hope he is not some 20 year old foamer.

Ali is a college educated political activist in Queens, and has been for years even at his age.  He is very involved in transportation issues, and he is NOT a foamer.  Don't be surprised if you see him on the political scene.  He's well known and respected in his community and around parts of Queens.

I ONLY support the plan if current Metro-North stations see improvements. I for one am tired of paying so much and having to stand on the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines. If Western Queens needs so much service fine, but there needs to be MORE service improvements for those of us in the outer parts of Manhattan (i.e. Riverdale, Westchester and Connecticut). We need MORE trains to deal with the overcrowding. Metro-North needs to take care of its current customers FIRST and THEN they can expand. I still support express bus service for Western Queens following along the proposed Metro-North line. If that's successful, then you can consider the Metro-North service. You could even have branches serving LGA from Manhattan, going to Queens and then branches to the Bronx.

IF YOU'RE forgetting the (N)(Q) are basically direct to Manhattan. Western Queens has many options to reach Manhattan plus M60 is direct to the existing 125th station so yes they do need to improve existing metro-north stations and drop useless ones cough*Melrose*cough. No they don't need to blow money on express buses that are duplicative we have enough of those. We need to boost the quality of subways which is priority #1. Perfect the M60 SBS & Q70 and upgrade the sad state that is local bus service in western Queens then a new Astoria station could be of use to LGA riders from CT and eastern Westchester. But if M60 is sped up with dropping marine terminal. That would help many. Q70 can get a creative extension to east Bronx but that is questionable

IF YOU'RE forgetting the (N)(Q) are basically direct to Manhattan. Western Queens has many options to reach Manhattan plus M60 is direct to the existing 125th station so yes they do need to improve existing metro-north stations and drop useless ones cough*Melrose*cough. No they don't need to blow money on express buses that are duplicative we have enough of those. We need to boost the quality of subways which is priority #1. Perfect the M60 SBS & Q70 and upgrade the sad state that is local bus service in western Queens then a new Astoria station could be of use to LGA riders from CT and eastern Westchester. But if M60 is sped up with dropping marine terminal. That would help many. Q70 can get a creative extension to east Bronx but that is questionable

The (N)(Q) do nothing for people who currently make their commute via car to the Bronx or Westchester.  The idea is to have a ONE seat ride to and from their destination. When transfers are involved they eat up time.  There are no express buses that are duplicative because none of them follow a subway line or rail line for their entire length and serve areas away from rail connections.

Where would you put the stations? Amtrak joins the LIRR at Harold in Sunnyside. And from another post that was done about this, the elevation of the line is too high for stations to being built especially in Astoria (though I did suggest you could build one over Ditmars Blvd Station maybe)

Where would you put the stations? Amtrak joins the LIRR at Harold in Sunnyside. And from another post that was done about this, the elevation of the line is too high for stations to being built especially in Astoria (though I did suggest you could build one over Ditmars Blvd Station maybe)

Northern Blvd is a good spot. Amtrak is pretty low there.

Can't beat having Metro North in Queens. One trip, no street traffic to contend with...those folks in Queens have a better chance at finding employment in other areas of Westchester and Connecticut. It'll be great for the Mall at Bay Plaza to do business when the station is built in Co-op City in 2019, (and vice versa going to Queens)!!

This will get done! Looking forward to the new station!!!!!

As I have said...it's a win-win for the MTA and its riders!!

Can't beat having Metro North in Queens. One trip, no street traffic to contend with...those folks in Queens have a better chance at finding employment in other areas of Westchester and Connecticut. It'll be great for the Mall at Bay Plaza to do business when the station is built in Co-op City in 2019, (and vice versa going to Queens)!!

This will get done! Looking forward to the new station!!!!!

As I have said...it's a win-win for the MTA and its riders!!

Sorry I highly highly doubt it..

Your kinda of jumping the gun with ESA is nowhere near to be done. There are so many things that have to take place before MNRR can even think about Penn.2023 is far away and I still don't think thats accurate

2019: Co-op City/Morris Park/Parkchester/Hunts Point

Astoria would happen somewhere around that time frame.

East side access: 2016

Very big expansion in business if this happens.

Simple as that.

Astoria just needs a platform. Easier than Co-op City. Should have been done years ago, along with Sunnyside and even an extension down to Bay Ridge!! Poor Brooklyn folks have no direct connection to Westchester and Connecticut. What a schlep!! 

Simple as that.

Astoria just needs a platform. Easier than Co-op City. Should have been done years ago, along with Sunnyside and even an extension down to Bay Ridge!! Poor Brooklyn folks have no direct connection to Westchester and Connecticut. What a schlep!! 

ESA is projected for 2023 at the earliest. Astoria has nowhere to actually put a platform structure, since the existing viaduct is just wide enough for four tracks and should be kept that way.

The (N)(Q) do nothing for people who currently make their commute via car to the Bronx or Westchester.  The idea is to have a ONE seat ride to and from their destination. When transfers are involved they eat up time.  There are no express buses that are duplicative because none of them follow a subway line or rail line for their entire length and serve areas away from rail connections.

M60 SBS done

Simple as that.

Brooklyn seriously take the (4)(5) to grand central you're spouting nonsense now.

M60 SBS done

Brooklyn seriously take the (4)(5) to grand central you're spouting nonsense now.

Thanks, really but I was talking about the folks in Bay Ridge and Brooklyn being able to get directly to Westchester and/or Connecticut. It's not all about going downtown. There's a life outside of the 5 boroughs. 

Thanks, really but I was talking about the folks in Bay Ridge and Brooklyn being able to get directly to Westchester and/or Connecticut. It's not all about going downtown. There's a life outside of the 5 boroughs. 

In that case, the (4) and (5) are really not circuitous; in fact, avoiding Manhattan would be more circuitous, and would almost certainly take longer since the market for that kind of travel cannot really beat the frequencies of Metro-North leaving GCT, let alone subway frequencies. All of Brooklyn has an easy transfer to the (4)(5) at Atlantic or Fulton anyways.

At least these residents are open to having Metro-North service in Queens.

If the MTA was smart enough however, Metro-North trains should have the ability to terminate at LI City as well.

Which residents?

And no...MN trains could come into Penn, pigs could fly, and there will still never be a Metro North train terminating in Long Island City.

In that case, the (4) and (5) are really not circuitous; in fact, avoiding Manhattan would be more circuitous, and would almost certainly take longer since the market for that kind of travel cannot really beat the frequencies of Metro-North leaving GCT, let alone subway frequencies. All of Brooklyn has an easy transfer to the (4)(5) at Atlantic or Fulton anyways.

beat me to it.  

please stop go home you're drunk.

I can honestly tell you that there is no significant patterns of reverse commuting in Bay Ridge. Like any other residential area most people from there work in Manhattan not Westchester or Connecticut. The ridership along stations on the BMT Bay Ridge line (the R) is nowhere close to being high enough there to justify a direct MNRR link. Let alone an LIRR extension through that RR ROW as some have proposed in the past.

Archived