(5) via (2) Line

ConcourseExp

For the same reason you see the A and C run through Rutgers or the N via the West End, to keep the trains moving and minimize the overall inconvenience for riders. Rather than have a series of 5 trains backed up to the terminal because of a situation on the Lex, they'll reroute them up 7th Avenue so the Bronx and Brooklyn don't have to suffer as well.

Why is the (5) always on the (2) line because of signal problems, a situation at a station along Lexington Avenue, or because of a train with mechanical issues?

The (2), (5) and many IND/BMT B Divsion lines get re-routed to a different corridor whenever something happens on their normal regular branch/trunk corridors. It's always been that way.

As the mod said above, keeping trains moving and providing service is better than delay-prone or even worst, no through service at all.

I thought they did work on the (4)(5)(6) line to allow for more capacity?  Why would there still be so many problems on the line?  IThe (5) line always seems to be a mess, especially on weekends.  So much track work and there doesn't seem to be any improvement in service.  The last two weekends, the (5) has been knocked out.  I've been seeing Shuttle Buses running through Morris Park while I've been on the express bus heading to a tutoring session.

They should do something about capacity on the (2)(3) lines as well.  They need more (2) trains.  They try to provide (3) trains to deal with the overflow, but folks need the (2) since it goes past Harlem and into the Bronx.  I can see the (2) train gaining significant ridership as the South Bronx slowly (and I mean slowly) gentrifies...

I thought they did work on the (4)(5)(6) line to allow for more capacity?  Why would there still be so many problems on the line?  IThe (5) line always seems to be a mess, especially on weekends.  So much track work and there doesn't seem to be any improvement in service.  The last two weekends, the (5) has been knocked out.  I've been seeing Shuttle Buses running through Morris Park while I've been on the express bus heading to a tutoring session.

They should do something about capacity on the (2)(3) lines as well.  They need more (2) trains.  They try to provide (3) trains to deal with the overflow, but folks need the (2) since it goes past Harlem and into the Bronx.  I can see the (2) train gaining significant ridership as the South Bronx slowly (and I mean slowly) gentrifies...

The main issue is Nostrand Junction at this point. Until it gets fixed, trains that are crossing over to another train line will block basically all other movements in and out of the junction, and a fix would take a few billion that we don't have and some very disruptive changes during more than just the nights and weekends.

The main issue is Nostrand Junction at this point. Until it gets fixed, trains that are crossing over to another train line will block basically all other movements in and out of the junction, and a fix would take a few billion that we don't have and some very disruptive changes during more than just the nights and weekends.

Yeah but what does that have to do with service in the Bronx on the (5) line that they knock out service so much on weekends?

Nope. Until service capacity is improved at the other choke points (Mott Haven, Rogers Junctions and Flatbush terminal), there isn't much that can be done currently to increase overall service on the Lexington Ave line. What's going on along the Dyre line is track replacement and rebuilding along with signal replacement.

One of the reasons why the (2) gets rerouted via (5) and vise verso in Manhattan during problems is because they share tracks (lines) in the Bronx and in Brooklyn. In other words, they will still end up at their regular terminals by running on separate lines in Manhattan. So, it's a good alternative to avoid getting delayed and still ending up at the appropriate terminal.

Nope. Until service capacity is improved at the other choke points (Mott Haven, Rogers Junctions and Flatbush terminal), there isn't much that can be done currently to increase overall service on the Lexington Ave line. What's going on along the Dyre line is track replacement and rebuilding along with signal replacement.

That's ridiculous.  They should be doing something about this now in addition to building the 2nd Avenue subway because the Lex line will continue to suffer from overcrowding given the stops that it makes.

That's ridiculous.  They should be doing something about this now in addition to building the 2nd Avenue subway because the Lex line will continue to suffer from overcrowding given the stops that it makes.

Solving any of those problems would run into the hundreds of millions or possibly billions, with extreme disruptions to service while the projects were ongoing. In terms of pain, the only service-related construction that would be worse would be the Manhattan Bridge closures. Grade separation and tunneling is expensive business, and CBTC hasn't been proven to work yet on a large trunk line, which is why we're testing it out on Queens Blvd first.

You might actually have to wait for the SAS though; the main track capacity limit of the Lex is the riders themselves. Crowding is so severe that at certain locations (125th, GCT, Union Sq) trains cannot meet scheduled times due to longer boarding/disembarking, and as a result the (4) and (5) run about 25 or 27 TPH during the peak hour, when they could be running 29.

The (6) gets just as crowded compared to the (4) and (5) though, so why should the expresses run much more frequently than the local?

The (4) and (5) combined have 24 tph. The (6) and <6> combined have 24 tph. Combined both express and local, that gives 48 tph. Why not treat them all equally? Matter of fact, if anything, the (6) should run more than the (4) and (5), since it doesn't interact with them and the only bottleneck problem is the amount of switching and relaying at Parkchester due to the alternating trains there. The (4) and (5) are delayed prone due to the aforementioned bottlenecks and/or interacting with two other lines.

Yeah, I know we're currently talking about rush hours here.

The (6) gets just as crowded compared to the (4) and (5) though, so why should the expresses run much more frequently than the local?

The (4) and (5) combined have 24 tph. The (6) and <6> combined have 24 tph. Combined both express and local, that gives 48 tph. Why not treat them all equally? Matter of fact, if anything, the (6) should run more than the (4) and (5), since it doesn't interact with them and the only bottleneck problem is the amount of switching and relaying at Parkchester due to the alternating trains there. The (4) and (5) are delayed prone due to the aforementioned bottlenecks and/or interacting with two other lines.

Yeah, I know we're currently talking about rush hours here.

They should all run more frequently.  The (MTA) actually cut back service on the (6) during off-peak periods, but then for a while they were encouraging people to use the (6) due to the delays on the (4) and (5) ...  <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Another Problem I notice with the 2/5 as they are my home lines (225/WPR) Its seems that the towers dont know what trains are actually coming or arriving ....Without fail the "5" from 238 ALWAYS holds at Bronx Pk East And again at 149/GC-...usually much longer than the hold at bx pk east...My theory is that they have to check out the line MUCH further down the line to determine whether to run Express as normal or Local from 180 (rare tho I must say)  Or possible reroute down the westside when it comes to 149/GC....

In all honesty with the wait times at bx pk east...the merge south of jackson (UGH!)..and 149/GC...it really cancels out the time gained by runnning express from 180...but I ride the 5 becuase it is a Fast ride And it mentally "feels" not as long lol.....not to mention the one seat ride to midtown east..

One more thing...It just baffles me when I watch native New Yorkers Get all Fvked up when they reroute either lines down either side of manhattan....If its a "5" goin down 7th Ave then Its just became a 2 Train...vice versa when its a "2" down Lex...its just became a 5 train...

Figure out where ur goin and Take it easy lol...Either way ur gonna end up at Flatbush Albeit the westside is longer which Is why I opt for the eastside....Jus sayin...

@MTA Dude and MysteriousBtrain

As I once said last time, headways all become adjusted whenever reroutes occur.

For example, 6 (2) trains, 6 (3) trains and 6 (5) trains - all within 10 minutes apart - in each hour. It all depends on the rider and the time of the day.

With 18 trains per hour on the 7th Ave branch should be of no problem. Yes, it's a bit of a tight squeeze compared to the (N)(Q)(R). So that means having the (4) extend to New Lots or alternating between Utica and New Lots is completely unnecessary.

Archived