If express service was never eliminated in the Bronx.....

Javier

So, because you get inconvenienced by express trains on Metro-North, you want to save money and shaft people who live in the city and use the (4) by having express trains skip their local stops, despite the fact that you should have no say in the matter since, you know, you don't actually live there.

Sometimes the cognitive dissonance on this forum is mind boggling.

Excuse me? I live in the city as well, mostly the Bronx. It's like you guys want to turn EVERYTHING into a argument. There's a <6> and a <7> , and and I get that a lot of Local Stops on the (4) are largely used, but, before 2000 if I'm not mistaken there used to be a lot of express lines in the Bronx?

LMAFO! How did you make that?

But, google doesn't know everything. Have you tried searching "How is a R142 programmed?"

Excuse me? I live in the city as well, mostly the Bronx. It's like you guys want to turn EVERYTHING into a argument. There's a <6> and a <7> , and and I get that a lot of Local Stops on the (4) are largely used, but, before 2000 if I'm not mistaken there used to be a lot of express lines in the Bronx?

Nope. the express lines were mostly untouched since the lines opened.

I use Metro North all the Time, but then theres express service THERE that gets on my nerves. I sit at Yonkers station waiting for my train as 5 express trains pass me every 15 Minutes. And another thing is the fare, which is $8.50 to Grand Sqaure. I always get off at Marble Hill since Metro North connects there.

Which is more faster?

Bee-Line bus to Woodlawn/242 Street then use Subway to Grand Central?

MetroNorth to Grand Central?

BXM3?

The answer should be obvious... Metro-North to Grand Central.  I use the Hudson Line also, since I live in Riverdale.  I use either the Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil station.  From Riverdale it's about 22 - 25 minutes to Grand Central, so it can't be any more than 30 - 35 minutes from Yonkers.  Checking the schedule, the longest ride from Yonkers is about 36 minutes, and there are express trains that take just 28 minutes. I also don't get why you don't look at the schedule to see when your train is due.  Not exactly that difficult... I know all of the times for the trains that I take, and my waits are no more than 5 - 10 minutes, since I take the Hudson Rail Link shuttle bus. 

A monthly pass is $222.00.  What I would do if were you is buy a weekly express bus pass that you can use on the BxM3 or other express buses, the local buses and the subway for the times that it makes more sense to use the express bus.  The weekly is only $55.00. There are some super express BxM3's in the mornings that get on the Deegan once the go through Riverdale, which can speed up the commute.   Your total monthly cost would only be about $442.00 with both passes combined.  My monthly expenses is about $300.00 - 340.00.  I was going to get a monthly Metro-North pass but I only use it a few times a week (The Hudson Line maybe 3 times a week, and the Harlem Line maybe once a week to visit a client in Westchester if I can't get picked up from the express bus), so it's hard to justify a monthly pass since I do most of my commuting via the express buses, so I just buy tickets as I need them.  Still a great deal with the amount of traveling I do, especially since I can write off most of those expenses.

I would just go for the BxM3 option if I were you. Service to the city runs pretty late, and it has a flexible schedule.

If he needs service during rush hour and works near Grand Central, Metro-North makes more sense if he's in a time crunch.  The BxM3 can get caught in traffic along the Deegan and 5th Avenue and he would have to set aside at least an hour and 20 to an hour and 30 minutes to ensure that he's on time. The BxM3 also only has hourly service outside of rush hour while Metro-North service from Yonkers is far more frequent.

My commute is usually about an hour to an hour and 20 minutes in the morning unless I can get a super express bus via Riverdale Avenue or the BxM18.  Coming home though it is only about 35 minutes.

On weekends when I've needed Metrocards, I have used the BxM3 from Riverdale along Broadway, and those rides aren't terrible, but the frequency sucks and there are too many stops in the Bronx.  The BxM1, BxM2 are better since they only make one or two stops in the Bronx and then go to Riverdale.

If he needs service during rush hour and works near Grand Central, Metro-North makes more sense if he's in a time crunch.  The BxM3 can get caught in traffic along the Deegan and 5th Avenue and he would have to set aside at least an hour and 20 to an hour and 30 minutes to ensure that he's on time. The BxM3 also only has hourly service outside of rush hour while Metro-North service from Yonkers is far more frequent.

My commute is usually about an hour to an hour and 20 minutes in the morning unless I can get a super express bus via Riverdale Avenue or the BxM18.  Coming home though it is only about 35 minutes.

On weekends when I've needed Metrocards, I have used the BxM3 from Riverdale along Broadway, and those rides aren't terrible, but the frequency sucks and there are too many stops in the Bronx.  The BxM1, BxM2 are better since they only make one or two stops in the Bronx and then go to Riverdale.

Riverdale is in the Bronx, but I digress (it's like talking to a brick wall)

Regardless, for North Riverdale residents (on some occasions), the BxM3 can be a better option, especially the Super Express trips, over the BxM1/BxM2.

I think people should try to get accustomed to the headway (the lower portion of the BxM3 also has the BxM4, depending on their location). Yes, I know 60 minute headways aren't the best, but on some lines, you can't really provide more than that, especially on the express bus lines.

So your saying that Metro North is more faster then the Bus and Subways combined?

Of course it is, but the fare is signifcantly higher. You can try out that and the express bus if you want as an experiment.

Riverdale is in the Bronx New York, but I digress...

Regardless, for North Riverdale residents (on some occasions), the BxM3 can be a better option, especially the Super Express trips, over the BxM1/BxM2.

I think people should try to get accustomed to the headway (the lower portion of the BxM3 also has the BxM4, depending on their location). Yes, I know 60 minute headways aren't the best, but on some lines, you can't really provide more than that, especially on the express bus lines.

Of course it is, but the fare is signifcantly higher. You can try out that and the express bus if you want as an experiment.

Yes, please...

As for North Riverdale residents, the BxM3 only makes sense for those along Broadway, otherwise, the BxM1, BxM2, or BxM18 makes far more sense.  What North Riverdale residents are you talking about where the BxM3 would be a better option?? Also, what "lower portion" of the BxM3 has the BxM4?? :huh:

to the OP, you can always get a car. I have a 05 Accord V6, one of the best investments I ever made. In New York gas mileage sucks that's the downside to it but I can go down south with it so I rest my case

Who in the heck is driving to Grand Central??? <_< The OP lives in Yonkers and works near Grand Central.  The traffic in Midtown is a pain, as is parking, and any convenient garages are a rip-off.

to the OP, you can always get a car. I have a 05 Accord V6, one of the best investments I ever made. In New York gas mileage sucks that's the downside to it but I can go down south with it so I rest my case

The hell is a OP? I can buy parking with a app, but one problem, I'm 26 and I don't have car. 

Who in the heck is driving to Grand Central??? <_< The OP lives in Yonkers and works near Grand Central.  The traffic in Midtown is a pain, as is parking, and any convenient garages are a rip-off.

Ooh LOL!!! Whoops, I missed that part about him working near Grand Central. Yeah avoid driving in the city as much as possible. OP is original poster which is you "Javier". So you're 16 so... there's our ol reliable Metro North and NYC Subway

I use Metro North all the Time, but then theres express service THERE that gets on my nerves. I sit at Yonkers station waiting for my train as 5 express trains pass me every 15 Minutes. And another thing is the fare, which is $8.50 to Grand Sqaure. I always get off at Marble Hill since Metro North connects there.

Which is more faster?

Bee-Line bus to Woodlawn/242 Street then use Subway to Grand Central?

MetroNorth to Grand Central?

BXM3?

metro north end of discussion. 

LMAFO! How did you make that?

But, google doesn't know everything. Have you tried searching "How is a R142 programmed?"

that is what I want to know.  

So your saying that Metro North is more faster then the Bus and Subways combined?

yes way faster actually.
seriously tell me how to do that!!!

Yes, please...

As for North Riverdale residents, the BxM3 only makes sense for those along Broadway, otherwise, the BxM1, BxM2, or BxM18 makes far more sense. What North Riverdale residents are you talking about where the BxM3 would be a better option?? Also, what "lower portion" of the BxM3 has the BxM4?? :huh:

Keep dreaming...

Anyways, the only section south of Bailey is near the BxM4 to an extent.

Keep dreaming...

Anyways, the only section south of Bailey is near the BxM4 to an extent.

Keep dreaming?  Excuse me but have you even been in North Riverdale to make such an untrue statement?  Most of that area is quite hilly, so unless you're on Broadway, the BxM3 may not be the easiest to reach.

Same deal with Bailey... In order to reach the BxM4 one would have to take the Bx12 or some other local bus as walking would not be easy.

Keep dreaming?  Excuse me but have you even been in North Riverdale to make such an untrue statement?  Most of that area is quite hilly, so unless you're on Broadway, the BxM3 may not be the easiest to reach.

Same deal with Bailey... In order to reach the BxM4 one would have to take the Bx12 or some other local bus as walking would not be easy.

I mean keep dreaming in the sense that Riverdale is not in the Bronx.

And I'm talking about the Southern Portion of the BxM3, not anything in Riverdale. Note that I didn't only talk about Bailey Avenue

On Kingsbridge Road, Sedgwick and GC are 12 minutes apart, in walking distance. Given how the people which live east of Sedgwick in that area can also opt for the (4). Not the prefferable option, but it is a possibility, and vice versa for BxM4 riders on the western side of Grand Concourse.

Not the best alternative, but it is possible (but nor for everyone)

I mean keep dreaming in the sense that Riverdale is not in the Bronx.

And I'm talking about the Southern Portion of the BxM3, not anything in Riverdale. Note that I didn't only talk about Bailey Avenue

Nobody was talking about Riverdale being in NYC. I said yes to you digressing.  Give it a rest already...

As for the BxM3...

I don't know where you go that idea from??  :huh:

Nobody was talking about Riverdale being in NYC. I said yes to you digressing.  Give it a rest already...

As for the BxM3...

I don't know where you go that idea from??  :huh:

(I mean, you did cross out the Bronx for a reason)

Not everyone in Riverdale lives on concentrated area around Riverdale Avenue.

That's not the point though... The majority of the people in North Riverdale live closer to the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 unless they are down by Broadway or far east of Riverdale Avenue.  The hills that ascend from Broadway create a geographical barrier if you will which makes going to and from the BxM3 far more of a schlepp. The other deterrent is the inferior headways of the BxM3.  There is no way I'm taking the BxM3 to schlepp up the hill when I can have access to buses that are more frequent with less of a schlepp.

For what it's worth though Riverdale Avenue and west of that can be dense in some parts with co-ops similar to that of Broadway.  Houses are generally around and in between those areas.

You made a statement saying the BxM3 can be a better option for North Riverdalians over the BxM1/2..... This implicates a current BxM1/2 rider would perhaps consider taking a BxM3, due to some advantage you seem to believe it has (whatever it is)....

You don't have much of an argument here, if you're resorting to a *not all* argument.....

Not only is VG8's argument more potent, it's true.... If you ever walk along those side streets b/w riverdale av & broadway, you'll find it's actually easier to get to riverdale av..... And as far as service levels are concerned, it's simply no contest....

You made a statement saying the BxM3 can be a better option for North Riverdalians over the BxM1/2..... This implicates a current BxM1/2 rider would perhaps consider taking a BxM3, due to some advantage you seem to believe it has (whatever it is)....

You don't have much of an argument here, if you're resorting to a *not all* argument.....

Not only is VG8's argument more potent, it's true.... If you ever walk along those side streets b/w riverdale av & broadway, you'll find it's actually easier to get to riverdale av..... And as far as service levels are concerned, it's simply no contest....

I think some folks look at the map and make A LOT of assumptions... The funny thing is every now and then I check properties in North Riverdale on Google, and then say to myself it's easier to get to the BxM1, BxM2, and BxM18 than it is to get to the BxM3.  When I first moved here, I wanted to use the BxM3 because it served 5th Avenue and then I realized that the walk to get to and from the bus simply wasn't worth it.  I can do 20 minutes downhill, but 20 minutes uphill is not exactly a joy walk, and I suspect a lot of people have this issue.

LMAOOOOOOO

You're older than I thought you would be.  I'm surprised you don't remember the 9 train.

That's because I use to live in Brooklyn, I always use the Subway There, but I never took the (9) train, ether I forgot about it or it slipped my mind.

Archived