Moving ahead with Queens Blvd Line Signal Improvements

Yada yada yada... If they can be kept on the (Q) then they should.  The end.  :D

If Queens CBTC Comes online before the R211 order, they can't. The end.  :D

I agree with Art. By my math, 370 R46 cars run on the Queens Blvd Line every day. For CBTC to go live those would all have to be replaced, and 40 R179's arent going to cut it.

As far as I knew, the 4 5-car R179 trains were fleet expansion for the Q via 2nd ave. I'm pretty sure we'll have to wait until the R211s come in before QBLCBTC can actually go live. Unless...

They could, I suppose, almost completely gut the N and the Q of NTT's

Correct. Today's assignments will not prevent CBTC from progressing. If Queens CBTC requires CBTC equipped cars before the R211s come in, they will have to come from Coney Island.

Also, if the 40 R179s in 5 car sets are for the needed expansions to the Q, there is no need for them to actually run there. They could end up practically anywhere. 

itmaybeokay, on 05 Aug 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

Except I forgot car assignments are based on the preferences of one guy in riverdale, not the logistical needs of actual rail operations    :D

(also, really? the R68's are some of my favorites. though the CIY ones are kept nicer than Concourse's)

Part of the CIY vs Concourse R68 difference is in the cars themselves. Quality substantially improved as production of the R68 fleet progressed. 2924 has always been a better looking car than 2500 since the day they came out of the factory, and will remain so until they are retired. 

Yeah whatever, if you say so smh....And I didn't say that the (C) is fully NTT. I said that it has new cars already, generally speaking, not literally. And yes, the (A) will be stuck with old cars for the next 5-10+ years. I was very disappointed that the (C) will stay 480 feet unit for the next 45-50+ years though, because I believe that a full-length train/longer headway is cheaper than a short-length train/shorter headway. As soon as the (C) becomes entirely NTT (after the R32s retire for good), they might add some more service on the line. Maybe the Brooklyn portion could see a bit more service during the rush (not saying reverse peak and off-peak though, but during the rush). That is what I can indeed understand. Otherwise, I have my doubts for more service on the line for obvious reasons.

Ride it more in Manhattan and get back to me.

Ride it more in Manhattan and get back to me.

I've ridden the local (C) many times in Manhattan, thank you...  <_< Don't assume I don't ride the line regularly. I doubt more service on the (C) is needed going from Manhattan to Brooklyn during the morning rush and reverse in the PM rush. Are more commuters at 116th, 110th, 103rd, 96th, 86th, 81st and 72nd going to the 8th Avenue Line than the 6th Avenue Line? Or do both the (B) and (C) have the same equal amount of crowds going to 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue respectively (regardless that both lines each run infrequently)? If it's the latter, then I really don't see the need. It's quite normal for trains to be crowded during rush hours anyway. Not to mention more people at the express stops will dump the (C) for the (A), even if they are going from an express stop to a local stop. Yes, I've seen this. However, I can understand if a bit more service goes to the Fulton Street local stations in Brooklyn, because of the rush hour crowds there, since those riders have no choice but to take the (C) (straight to/from Manhattan of course).

Weekends is different (on Central Park West) because the (B) isn't there, but I wish for the (MTA) to stop with the never-ending weekend GOs so the entire (B) line (or at least the Bronx-Manhattan portion of the (B) line) could finally run on weekends to help the (C) on Central Park West. The most I would have liked is for it to be permanently full-length, but it's a shame that it's not for the next round decades.

I've ridden the local (C) many times in Manhattan, thank you... <_< Don't assume I don't ride the line regularly. I doubt more service on the (C) is needed going from Manhattan to Brooklyn during the morning rush and reverse in the PM rush. Are more commuters at 116th, 110th, 103rd, 96th, 86th, 81st and 72nd going to the 8th Avenue Line than the 6th Avenue Line? Or do both the (B) and (C) have the same equal amount of crowds going to 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue respectively (regardless that both lines each run infrequently)? If it's the latter, then I really don't see the need. It's quite normal for trains to be crowded during rush hours anyway. Not to mention more people at the express stops will dump the (C) for the (A), even if they are going from an express stop to a local stop. Yes, I've seen this. However, I can understand if a bit more service goes to the Fulton Street local stations in Brooklyn, because of the rush hour crowds there, since those riders have no choice but to take the (C).

Weekends is different because the (B) isn't there, but I wish for the (MTA) to stop with the never-ending weekend GOs so the entire (B) line (or at least the Bronx-Manhattan portion of the (B) line) could finally run on weekends to help the (C) on Central Park West. The most I would have liked is for it to be permanently full-length, but it's a shame that it's not for the next round decades.

Ok let me school you on this. Service Uptown has gained increased ridership ok. Stations that wasn't so busy (96th Street and 116th Street) has gotten a lot of ridership. There's more apartments and stuff up there which caused ridership at those stations to increase. Why do you think people say it's crowded Uptown? Why do you think people used those lines a lot OUTSIDE of Rush Hours? You're acting like no one uses those lines outside of Rush Hours which you are dead wrong. I lived uptown all of my life which is why I noticed the change. Hell evening service has gotten busy to the point. This is 2015 NOT 2011.

Ok let me school you on this. Service Uptown has gained increased ridership ok. Stations that wasn't so busy (96th Street and 116th Street) has gotten a lot of ridership. There's more apartments and stuff up there which caused ridership at those stations to increase. Why do you think people say it's crowded Uptown? Why do you think people used those lines a lot OUTSIDE of Rush Hours? You're acting like no one uses those lines outside of Rush Hours which you are dead wrong. I lived uptown all of my life which is why I noticed the change. Hell evening service has gotten busy to the point. This is 2015 NOT 2011.

And you need to stop putting words in my mouth. I've never said that nobody ever uses the subway outside of rush hours, so take a seat. Also, I could care less what year it is. I've been riding the (C) very regularly and I don't need your help about anything within the subway. I also don't care how long you've been riding the subway, nor how long everybody else in this site have been riding the subway either. Like Cait Sith said before, it's not like you're going to get a shiny medal or a trophy so everybody can cheer for you that you've been riding the subway all your life. Who cares. Big whoop.

Also, stop quoting one little word/sentence everytime you see my posts and nitpicking them. Everybody here can talk from their experiences, so please. The (B) and (C) together run frequently enough on Central Park West. Not everybody from CPW is going to just 8th Avenue. They're also going to 6th Avenue too. Also, more people at the express stops are gonna dump the (C) for the (A), even if they are going to a local stop. Again, this is me talking from my own experiences. I don't care what your stance is. What matters is the (A) is relatively busier than the (C) is, because the (C) doesn't share all the stops on its own. Hell, you yourself even said that the (A) is always crowded no matter what time a day. But if you still wanna believe that the entire local (C) line needs more service too, well, that's you. I'm talking from my own experiences anyway. Besides who the hell are you to tell me what I can or can't post anyway? You're not gonna try and boss me and my posts around. If you don't like me and my posts, you are more than welcome to ignore them. Simple as that.

When has 116th and 96th not been busy? Those areas were never gentrifying so they never suffered a popular loss to begin with.  116th is near Columbia University, and 96th is on the Upper West Side.  So much for Subway 101..  <_<

When has 116th and 96th not been busy? Those areas were never gentrifying so they never suffered a popular loss to begin with. 116th is near Columbia University, and 96th is on the Upper West Side. So much for Subway 101.. <_<

Columbia University is on BROADWAY. 116th Street on the (B)(C) is on Frederick Douglass which is WAY down the hill pass Morningside Park which is why it's not considered close

Columbia University is on BROADWAY. 116th Street on the (B)(C) is on Frederick Douglass which is WAY down the hill pass Morningside Park which is why it's not considered close

I didn't say that it was the Columbia University stop. I said it's near Columbia University.  If someone isn't near the (1) , guess what, they're taking the second closest subway in the area which is the (B) or the (C) and either walking or taking the bus the rest of the way.  I don't need a lesson on the geography uptown.  I've been tutoring up there for years and use the (B) and (C) when going up there, along with the (1) .

I didn't say that it was the Columbia University stop. I said it's near Columbia University.  If someone isn't near the (1) , guess what, they're taking the closest subway which is the (B) or the (C) and either walking or taking the bus the rest of the way.  I don't need a lesson on the geography uptown.  I've been tutoring up there for years and use the (B) and (C) when going up there, along with the (1) .

Well if walking 2 crosstown blocks then climbing up to the park then walking another 2 blocks to reach Columbia University to you seems close to you then...

Well if walking 2 crosstown blocks then climbing up to the park then walking another 2 blocks to reach Columbia University to you seems close to you then...

Yes to me it isn't that far and it isn't to plenty of other people either.  Plenty of people do something similar further up that use the (B)(C) at 135th.  They get off there, cross through the park and walk over to City College. 

Yes to me it isn't that far and it isn't to plenty of other people either.  Plenty of people do something similar further up that use the (B)(C) at 135th.  They get off there, cross through the park and walk over to City College. 

Its not cross through, its either climbing up or down those parks.

Its not cross through, its either climbing up or down those parks.

Yeah well people still do it.  Would see them all of the time when waking to 135th for the subway.  Not many other choices... Either that or transfer to a bus that can take you across.  That whole area is a PITA with the hills.

All I know for sure is they are going to the (A)(C)(J) and (T) ... Anything else has yet to be confirmed. I must have been really tired when I posted that. It's the same as I previously posted. Not (F) and (R). My apologies. Nothing changed.

However, the (A) is on that list. That's confirmed. Everything else is the same, and the R211's will replace the remaining R46's of QBL for CBTC.

All I know for sure is they are going to the (A)(C)(J) and (T) ... Anything else has yet to be confirmed. I must have been really tired when I posted that. It's the same as I previously posted. Not (F) and (R). My apologies. Nothing changed.

However, the (A) is on that list. That's confirmed. Everything else is the same, and the R211's will replace the remaining R46's of QBL for CBTC.

You must still tired because the (T) is not gonna see us anytime soon. :D

Anyways I guess the (Q) is seeing more R160s after all. So the (A) sees it's R179s, then some R46s move back to the (F), and the R160s for the (Q). It's better to keep those R179s in as little places as possible anyways.

You know, the (MTA) could start getting those QBL R160s ready for action before the R211s arrive on the set.

Since there will only be a few of the 5 car sets, they're probably not going to both the (A) and the (Q). It would make more sense to put them on the (Q), since that's the line being extended, and they would then blend in with the 160's on the line.

Correct for the ofiicial (T). I call it the (T) but its actually only phase 1 so its the (Q) until the line is completely finished. So in correct terms, the R179 is said to operate on SAS. So they must be moving R160's.

Oh ok I see what you mean.

Since there will only be a few of the 5 car sets, they're probably not going to both the (A) and the (Q). It would make more sense to put them on the (Q), since that's the line being extended, and they would then blend in with the 160's on the line.

The way I see it at the moment, the (Q) should be the one that will get those 5 car sets. The (A) is probably not gonna see those R179s and is gonna wait until the R211s get here to retire those R46s.

If the R160s aren't staying on the Q, putting the R179s on the Q to blend with them does not make much sense to me. 

That said, They will be on the A or Q, not both. (Or they could end up somewhere else entirely. My suspicion however is that they will end up on the A, freeing other cars to run on the W, which is the line which will require more cars. I believe the SAS extension of the Q will actually free up some of the Q's own cars as 96/2-57 is not as large of a distance as Astoria-57)

If the R160s aren't staying on the Q, putting the R179s on the Q to blend with them does not make much sense to me.

That said, They will be on the A or Q, not both. (Or they could end up somewhere else entirely. My suspicion however is that they will end up on the A, freeing other cars to run on the W, which is the line which will require more cars. I believe the SAS extension of the Q will actually free up some of the Q's own cars as 96/2-57 is not as large of a distance as Astoria-57)

No the (Q) is supposed to have a service increased when SAS opens which was actually listed in the plan

Why the (Q) with the (T) ?! Is this a QBL or (T) post?

MTA doesn't know how to plan...

Where have you been? Even I know this I'm not a subway rider.  It's been in the works for years.  The (Q) makes the most sense for a number of reasons, one being that it takes strain off of the (4)(5)(6) line until other phases are completed.

No the (Q) is supposed to have a service increased when SAS opens which was actually listed in the plan

Assuming the (W) returns with the same TPH when it was running before 2010, there may not be enough cars to be able to increase service on the (Q). The 40 R179 could end up on the (Q) and displace some R160 to run on the (W).

This is just a wild guess, but perhaps the documents you looked at were before the MTA officially considered reviving the (W). There waa actually at least one program I heard on the (Q) that said "Transfer is available to the (Q) train to Astoria, (N), and (R) trains" before I joined the forums.

I agree with you that they should send all the 4 five-car R179s to the (A) so that they can be maintain at 207th with the (C) 's NTTs (R179 and R160). That way, they can push off 4 trainsets of R46s to Jamaica, and Jamaica can push off 4 trainsets of R160s to Coney Island.

I agree with you that they should send all the 4 five-car R179s to the (A) so that they can be maintain at 207th with the (C) 's NTTs (R179 and R160). That way, they can push off 4 trainsets of R46s to Jamaica, and Jamaica can push off 4 trainsets of R160s to Coney Island.

But the (A) is housed at Pitkin, not 207...

Archived