Moving ahead with Queens Blvd Line Signal Improvements

But the (A) is housed at Pitkin, not 207...

Some (A) cars are stored at 207th Street occasionally, especially that borrowed R32 set, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 5 car sets go to that yard, even if it's just for major work.

Of course, the R179s could be at Pitkin from time to time as well.

Of course I know the (A) is based at Pitkin, but I guess I suppose that the 5-car R179s can be based at Pitkin instead of 207th (if they're going to push off 32 R46 cars to Jamaica and then Jamaica pushes off 40 R160 cars to Coney Island). I guess it wouldn't matter if the 5-car R179s is the minority at Pitkin (as Westchester has the R142As as the minor too). That's fine.

I'm surprised that the IND Rockaway Line still has those power issues though. But then again, it's only going to be just 4 trainsets of NTTs on the (A). They should avoid sending them out in the peninsula if the power issues are still problematic (as proven in the R179 Thread). But what really seems to be a bit unclear is that NTTs have always been tested in and out of the Rockaways and they actually ran fine. That's odd.

IMO when the R46s get pushed back to Jamaica they should go to the yard for extra trains for the (R) since the (F) already has enough trains as it is

Not true. Jamaica will still have the same amount of trainsets regardless. The issue is that the (MTA) will reroute the (Q) to SAS, and they would most likely bring the (W) back. That's why I said the things that I said in my previous post.

Of course I know the (A) is based at Pitkin, but I guess I suppose that the 5-car R179s can be based at Pitkin instead of 207th (if they're going to push off 32 R46 cars to Jamaica and then Jamaica pushes off 40 R160 cars to Coney Island). I guess it wouldn't matter if the 5-car R179s is the minority at Pitkin (as Westchester has the R142As as the minor too). That's fine.

I'm surprised that the IND Rockaway Line still has those power issues though. But then again, it's only going to be just 4 trainsets of NTTs on the (A). They should avoid sending them out in the peninsula if the power issues are still problematic (as proven in the R179 Thread). But what really seems to be a bit unclear is that NTTs have always been tested in and out of the Rockaways and they actually ran fine. That's odd.

Jamaica is supposed to become entirely NTT either next year of 2017 to prepare for CBTC

Not true. Jamaica will still have the same amount of trainsets regardless. The issue is that the (MTA) will reroute the (Q) to SAS, and they would most likely bring the (W) back. That's why I said the things that I said in my previous post.

Well if they do bring the (W) back I think the extra train sets of R179s or R160s should only go to be used for the (W) since the (Q) is not really being extended but rerouted only three stops for the first phase so it won't need extra trains

Jamaica is supposed to become entirely NTT either next year of 2017 to prepare for CBTC

I don't see jamaica being entirely NTT until the R46s retire so it won't be all NTT until at least 2019

Some (A) cars are stored at 207th Street occasionally, especially that borrowed R32 set, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 5 car sets go to that yard, even if it's just for major work.

Of course, the R179s could be at Pitkin from time to time as well.

That R32 set is a 207 St set, still technically assigned to the (C). They just borrow 10 cars from there

I don't see jamaica being entirely NTT until the R46s retire so it won't be all NTT until at least 2019

Which leaves a few years before CBTC installation is even complete on the line. 

How, exactly, can Jamaica possibly be completely made up of mostly new cars when the first R211s should not begin arriving (pending possible delays) until 2018-19? The QBL CBTC project is projected to take around 6.5 years to complete. Without delays, that puts the completion area around early 2022. The R211 order should be complete by then, without delays of course and thus a major shifting of subway cars is not needed (if that's what you implied with such a short time frame).

*I, personally, am keeping the acronym NTT out of my vocabulary until there is a major change in technology that requires its use. Everything we associate with New Technology is pretty standard these days, the oldest of which being over 15 years old.

Which leaves a few years before CBTC installation is even complete on the line. 

How, exactly, can Jamaica possibly be completely made up of mostly new cars when the first R211s should not begin arriving (pending possible delays) until 2018-19? The QBL CBTC project is projected to take around 6.5 years to complete. Without delays, that puts the completion area around early 2022. The R211 order should be complete by then, without delays of course and thus a major shifting of subway cars is not needed (if that's what you implied with such a short time frame).

*I, personally, am keeping the acronym NTT out of my vocabulary until there is a major change in technology that requires its use. Everything we associate with New Technology is pretty standard these days, the oldest of which being over 15 years old.

Because there's talks about moving those R46s out of Jamaica Yard in exchanged for some of CIYs R160s

Because there's talks about moving those R46s out of Jamaica Yard in exchanged for some of CIYs R160s

which will never happen because the R46s will likely retire before CBTC on Queens Boulevard is even completed, Coney Island would never give away its R160s knowing how much (N) and (Q) riders love them (no one likes it when their train gets downgraded like the (6)), and R46s are not allowed on Brighton or Sea Beach anyway due to the vibration and noise complaints from those living along the line. I caught that R68 (Q) today and not surprisingly, almost everyone on board was overweight :P. Perhaps they want to put the R46s back on the (G) and send its R68/68As to the (N) like in 2010. They will not go to the (Q) because the MTA wants SAS to be all NTTs.

which will never happen because the R46s will likely retire before CBTC on Queens Boulevard is even completed, Coney Island would never give away its R160s knowing how much (N) and (Q) riders love them (no one likes it when their train gets downgraded like the (6)), and R46s are not allowed on Brighton or Sea Beach anyway due to the vibration and noise complaints from those living along the line.

Newsflash: whether the passengers are receptive to downgrades does not matter!

I caught that R68 (Q) today and not surprisingly, almost everyone on board was overweight :P.

Wow. This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read.

There is no requirement for SAS to be all NTT.

There is no prohibition of R46s on either the Sea Beach or the Brighton lines.

"Coney Island" is not a thinking entity which can control car assignments. because of this "Coney Island" has no say in the matter. 

There is also no reason for cars to be shifted to Jamaica when CBTC operation is at least 7 years away. That is plenty of time for a whole new subway car class to arrive. According to the last update on the R211 from East New York, the order was delayed by six months only due to the fact that cars design had to be modified for Staten Island service. This still puts the earliest delivery of the pilot to sometime in 2019. Without delays, of course. If I recall correctly, that update was at least 4 months ago.

which will never happen because the R46s will likely retire before CBTC on Queens Boulevard is even completed, Coney Island would never give away its R160s knowing how much (N) and (Q) riders love them (no one likes it when their train gets downgraded like the (6)), and R46s are not allowed on Brighton or Sea Beach anyway due to the vibration and noise complaints from those living along the line. I caught that R68 (Q) today and not surprisingly, almost everyone on board was overweight :P. Perhaps they want to put the R46s back on the (G) and send its R68/68As to the (N) like in 2010. They will not go to the (Q) because the MTA wants SAS to be all NTTs.

You know we are talking about the MTA right? They don't care what the riders may not like. Putting R160's or future R179's is needed because Jamaica needs to get rid of the R46's. Where they could go is only obvious Coney Island. I'm sure the MTA can do so tweaking to have the R46's run along those lines unless they go onto the (C) line which I doubt because then the R32's will have to be based mostly out of Coney Island because the R160's on the (C) are 4 car sets. BTW don't all subway cars vibrate if they are passing above ground? Those people will have to just deal with it.

You know we are talking about the MTA right? They don't care what the riders may not like.

This is not an attitude exclusive to the (MTA). Maybe some brown nosed small town transit agency would bend over backwards to satisfy their customers' every needs, but any reasonably large transit agency needs to realize, if they haven't done so already, that providing the best service they can is more important than satisfying their riders' personal opinions about various rolling stock. For example, if they have to give the (N) and (Q) older cars, in order to allow the QBL line to run on CBTC, they will do it, as CBTC nets far more benefits than new rolling stock. Similarly, the (MTA) did not do the R32/160 swap and allow (C) riders to have NTT cars out of the goodness of their hearts.

This is not an attitude exclusive to the (MTA). Maybe some brown nosed small town transit agency would bend over backwards to satisfy their customers' every needs, but any reasonably large transit agency needs to realize, if they haven't done so already, that providing the best service they can is more important than satisfying their riders' personal opinions about various rolling stock. For example, if they have to give the (N) and (Q) older cars, in order to allow the QBL line to run on CBTC, they will do it, as CBTC nets far more benefits than new rolling stock. Similarly, the (MTA) did not do the R32/160 swap and allow (C) riders to have NTT cars out of the goodness of their hearts.

Exactly they do what is best for them. So if putting the R32's on the (J) and (Z) means giving the HVAC air to breathe so they won't over heat and fail they will do just that. I don't know why some believe that the MTA does moves because people people request that.

Archived