R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

there's about 100 or more built, when that video first surfaced it was 3 months old and they were up to 4090 with the first R211S. I doubt they will push out R46s very soon as the first R211 is officially in service as Coney Island, Concourse and pitkin still has a very low spare factor due to the R32 retirement and the (Q) 2nd ave extension. They'll probably send a chunk of R46s to Coney to increase its spare factor and to send the R68s that concourse lost between 2016-2018 back to them temporally.  Then you have to factor in the (C) which is probably going to be 100% full length. They'll of course cherry pick the very worst of the R46s to retire if they are not worth fixing. Plus they still have a lot of R32s and R42s that aren't work cars that have to be removed for scrap. I would say after 8-12 sets of r211s are in service, Then I could see them removing R46s for retirement.

They still have a car shortage, read my post above

Edited by FLX9304
So it’s now up to 4160s

9 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Why keep toying around with 8-car sets anywhere outside of the JLMZ? Just do 10 car (G) trains, it will be so much easier to interoperate the (G) fleet with either Coney Island or Jamaica. In any case that order only contains four 8-car trains, probably to boost (L) service. Otherwise, the JLMZ have a glut of rolling stock once the (C) R179s are all transferred there.  

There aren't enough 10 car trains to make both the C and G full length.  The C will need 10 car trains more than the G.

There is already a surplus of 8 car trains and the 2nd option order will include 4 eight car trains.

It makes sense for the G to get 8 car trains because ENY doesn't need all 8 car trains that's in the B division.

3 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

For sure, if any eastern line needs better service, it should be the (L). Even with CBTC during rush hour it is still completely packed. The (M) and (J)/(Z) could also use a slight boost in service.

And the (G) being half-length is completely stupid, though if we get option 2 we can easily fix that.

The r211's cannot go to the L because it's not compatible with Canarsie CBTC.

The technology used for Canarsie CBTC is different from the technology used for the rest of the CBTCs used in the B division.

The L will most likely get the r143's from the JZ.

56 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The r211's cannot go to the L because it's not compatible with Canarsie CBTC.

The technology used for Canarsie CBTC is different from the technology used for the rest of the CBTCs used in the B division.

The L will most likely get the r143's from the JZ.

Those R211s might have their own CBTC for the (L) or by then They'll make the carnarsie CBTC compatible with all the other CBTC cars. The R143s on the (J) / (Z) are spares from the (L), that's why they are on the (J) / (Z)

5 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

The (G) being half-length signifies a shortage of fleet, hopefully, the R211 and its successors avert this issue.

The (G) is part of the Jamaica Yard in case if you forgot. They’re doing just fine with the R160s. 

15 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

I still think the (G) should be full-length, its service could be improved upon tremendously.

Well, you're allowed your opinion which I'm not going to stop you from doing. However, I will attempt to explain to you why it just isn't necessary for a good while at least for the (G) to become full length. For starters, we're currently limited on how many trains are able to operate on that line to begin with. Even with both option orders of the R211's purchased and on property, we still wouldn't have enough 10 car length trains in general, not just counting the R211's, for the (G) due to them being needed elsewhere. Practically every other B division line oustide of Eastern Division would be needing those full length trains. 

RIght now, best option would be to bring back 8 car length (G) trains. We have a good chunk of 8 cars that could be placed on it that should be more than enough for the line. As for what it will receive, that is up to whatever the MTA, RTO, RCC or whoever is in charge of car assignments. 

I honestly gave up attempting to figure out what line is getting what. I'd rather not give myself the headache and let the MTA do what they need to do as long as it's a smart decision. Smart decision would be to make sure the (G) becomes 8 cars along with the (C) becoming full length. Worst case scenario, the (C) is still running 8 car long after all orders are complete along with the (G) sticking with 5 car sets.

16 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Well, you're allowed your opinion which I'm not going to stop you from doing. However, I will attempt to explain to you why it just isn't necessary for a good while at least for the (G) to become full length. For starters, we're currently limited on how many trains are able to operate on that line to begin with. Even with both option orders of the R211's purchased and on property, we still wouldn't have enough 10 car length trains in general, not just counting the R211's, for the (G) due to them being needed elsewhere. Practically every other B division line oustide of Eastern Division would be needing those full length trains. 

RIght now, best option would be to bring back 8 car length (G) trains. We have a good chunk of 8 cars that could be placed on it that should be more than enough for the line. As for what it will receive, that is up to whatever the MTA, RTO, RCC or whoever is in charge of car assignments. 

I honestly gave up attempting to figure out what line is getting what. I'd rather not give myself the headache and let the MTA do what they need to do as long as it's a smart decision. Smart decision would be to make sure the (G) becomes 8 cars along with the (C) becoming full length. Worst case scenario, the (C) is still running 8 car long after all orders are complete along with the (G) sticking with 5 car sets.

I agree with you 100%. The G is the best candidate to get 8 car trains outside ENY.

I have a feeling that the G will get 8 car r160's since the G is in Jamaica and Crosstown is getting CBTC.

The r160's are CBTC equipped.

10 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I went to the beach today and was lucky enough to spot R211T at Coney Yard. It was a 10 car set with lead 4040. Seeing the gangways between the cars felt a bit surreal. Very excited to see them in service on (E) and (F).

I found a video of the open gangway train being tested as a D train.

I strongly agree that the E, F and maybe the A should get the open gangway trains. The D does not need open gangway trains. The D will do fine with r211As or possibly the r160's.

24 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I strongly agree that the E, F and maybe the A should get the open gangway trains. The D does not need open gangway trains. The D will do fine with r211As or possibly the r160's.

My hope is that they rotate the R211T around a bunch of lines and see where it works best.