R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

2nd option order wouldn't be enough to kill off the r68 fleet. The 2nd option order is for fleet growth.

The last thing we need is another car shortage because we got rid of a fleet that doesn't need a replacement right away. Unless they do a 3rd option order of 600-800 R211 cars, It wouldn't make any sense to replace the entire R68/A fleet right away.

Even then there is no third option order of R211s that exists

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

I'm thinking the MTA will send a second option order of R211s to replace the R68 fleet because the

R68s are a small fleet,

They are approaching 35/40 years old

They're 75ft

And there will be problems with sign switching at Astoria for N/W trains.

The R68/As are still a relatively large fleet, almost as large as the R46s. They would need a lot more than just a 2nd option of R211s to replace all 75 footers in one go. 

Besides, MTA would need to have the funds in order to do this. Where exactly would they be getting that money from, especially with the current climate we're in? The MTA is already bad at managing funds as it is.

Edited by RandomRider0101

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The ends have extra electrical cabinets for the various LCD screens and security cameras. Its also why the end seats have been removed.

No I meant comparing the A car to the B car. You see how the cab end has more room on the A car, but the B car is more or less the same? Is the B car shorter or are the doors in a different place.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

No I meant comparing the A car to the B car. You see how the cab end has more room on the A car, but the B car is more or less the same? Is the B car shorter or are the doors in a different place.

But the B car has less room on both ends*.

What I’m trying to say is are the A and B cars the same length and if so, why is there not bigger room on one end of the B car where the cab is suppose to go if it’s the same?

4 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

Given current outlook of both mta and feds the 2nd option may 9r may not happen, even tho it 100% needs to

Does it absolutely need to? We obviously need more than what we have, and possibly more than what the first option order can give us, but the first option order alone gives us 160 new cars for fleet expansions, that should be enough, no?

8 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

I'm thinking the MTA will send a second option order of R211s to replace the R68 fleet because the

Not enough cars to do that entirely. I have seen people say they might partially do that but not only do we not have an idea of if Option Order 2 will happen, but the R68s still have some life in them, unlike the R46s.

51 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

Does it absolutely need to? We obviously need more than what we have, and possibly more than what the first option order can give us, but the first option order alone gives us 160 new cars for fleet expansions, that should be enough, no?

Not enough cars to do that entirely. I have seen people say they might partially do that but not only do we not have an idea of if Option Order 2 will happen, but the R68s still have some life in them, unlike the R46s.

No R68s are planned to or are being replaced! This order is only to replace R44 SIR cars and R46s on the NYC subway! Why are we looking forward to R68/A replacement if the MTA has to replace the R62s first? The 62s are older, and need replacement more than the R68s do. I wonder if an R353 is gonna exist for the R68s to get replaced (it probably won't, there's a highly impossible chance I'm correct) , but this is only to replace R46s for the NYC subway. The MTA would have to order more R211 cars for like 5 billion dollars including option orders, and the MTA isn't really good in funde as somebody said earlier, so I'd rather ride a R68 right now than see it getting replaced by the SAME ROLLING STOCK THAT IS REPLACING ITS FRIEND!!! There is no such thing in the NYC subway as 'If I die, you're coming too.' As you can clearly see, there is no R160s on the SIR, the 32s didn't get taken down the entire way by the 38s, This is not happening between the 46s and the 68s. I'm pretty sure that the 68/As can live for another 10 years or so. So that's my opinion on whatever everyone is saying. The R68/As can be left alone and let the 211s do their job as successors of the 46s.

PLUS, we already have more than  1100 R211 cars being built, and I'm pretty sure none of them are gonna be used for R68 replacement, it'sjust fro fleet expansion becuase god knows what happens when the MTA has a car shortage.

That's basically what I'm saying! I don't wanna see 68s replaced by 211s. If you read my second statement, the R68s will not be replaced by the R211s and I can guarantee that! Just because fleet expansion cars can be used for R68 replacement does not mean the MTA is gonna do it. And the MTA is more focused on the lil 81-85 cars than the 75ft 86-88 cars. (you will truly get it if you are an actual railfanner, you just know so much about the MTA you also get it)

10 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they cancelled the R211S order and diverted those cars to NYCT instead.

Then what would happen with the SIR R44s? Based on everything I've been hearing, those cars are not gonna hold up much longer and desperately need to be replaced. Plus the R211S is part of the base order which is obviously already paid for, with some cars already being built.

If it wasn't for that 2nd overhaul they received from 2007-2010, those SIR cars would've been forced to go then along with their NYCT counterparts. At which point MTA would've had no other choice but to send some NYCT cars from their fleet (with the required SIR specs of course) over to take their place. 

What they should've done in the first place was order R160s to replace those cars, but as we know common sense isn't so common with this agency. That fact that they knew about all these issues beforehand and didn't take the proper steps to fully address them is very troublesome to me. I really hope they use this R211 order as a chance to turn over a whole new leaf.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they cancelled the R211S order and diverted those cars to NYCT instead.

Why would they cancel the order when the cars have been built. They already ordered 1,100 cars for the (NYCT). If they did, Staten Island would have a fit because their politicians are Republicans and they’re not gonna stand for being last anymore. 

2 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Then what would happen with the SIR R44s? Based on everything I've been hearing, those cars are not gonna hold up much longer and desperately need to be replaced. Plus the R211S is part of the base order which is obviously already paid for, with some cars already being built.

If it wasn't for that 2nd overhaul they received from 2007-2010, those SIR cars would've been forced to go then along with their NYCT counterparts. At which point MTA would've had no other choice but to send some NYCT cars from their fleet (with the required SIR specs of course) over to take their place. 

What they should've done in the first place was order R160s to replace those cars, but as we know common sense isn't so common with this agency. That fact that they knew about all these issues beforehand and didn't take the proper steps to fully address them is very troublesome to me. I really hope they use this R211 order as a chance to turn over a whole new leaf.

Or similar to them. But you already know how that story went

26 minutes ago, 40 to 241st said:

When does the second batch of r211a come and what route will it do

The first order of R211A’s are for the A/C lines and the R211S for SIRT this is all part of one order. Option 1 will depended on the outcome of R211T test.