R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

And yet that R143/R160 mix somehow got out of ENY on the road. 😂

That only happened bc someone wasn't doing their job properly, that or it was done intentionally.

Either way, it never should've happened in the first place.

Edited by RandomRider0101

Why would there be a R211S/R211T mixed consist? That just sounds stupid to put a f*kin SIR train with a NYCT 5 car set. Maybe they must've did it for a reason. I mean, the R211T set was the one that got vandalized 2 weeks ago since someone said 'soft shell'

16 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Why would there be a R211S/R211T mixed consist? That just sounds stupid to put a f*kin SIR train with a NYCT 5 car set. Maybe they must've did it for a reason. I mean, the R211T set was the one that got vandalized 2 weeks ago since someone said 'soft shell'

Or, hear me out, they were either doing switching or compatibility tests (not like it could even happen in the first place due to the SIR in-cab signaling and 5-car consist lengths

23 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Maybe the one set was towing the other.

There was an mixed R142/R179 consist being shuffled around 207th street yard a couple days ago.

Edited by trainfan22

39 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

Or, hear me out, they were either doing switching or compatibility tests (not like it could even happen in the first place due to the SIR in-cab signaling and 5-car consist lengths

Oh, now that sounds like a good reason tbh. I mean, they did this a lot though, right? Like this:

35 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There was an mixed R142/R179 consist being shuffled around 207th street yard a couple days ago.

Could have been. And I didn't expect this to show up either. I didn't think that the MTA would do an IRT ser with a BMT/IND set. The only time I've really seen that was an 142/46 set bc those cars were wrecked in 2020. ALL of them in the set. But that was a couple months ago.

36 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Oh, now that sounds like a good reason tbh. I mean, they did this a lot though, right? Like this:

Could have been. And I didn't expect this to show up either. I didn't think that the MTA would do an IRT ser with a BMT/IND set. The only time I've really seen that was an 142/46 set bc those cars were wrecked in 2020. ALL of them in the set. But that was a couple months ago.

They only intermix cars not in the same division for yard moves. Only R160s can intermix with one another when it’s being put in service. there’s been a 4 car each set of R143s & R160s mixed in service. I’ve seen no other cars in revenue service since the 2000s 

Just now, FLX9304 said:

They only intermix cars not in the same division for yard moves. Only R160s can intermix with one another when it’s being put in service. there’s been a 4 car each set of R143s & R160s mixed in service. I’ve seen no other cars in revenue service since the 2000s 

Oh. Well, thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

That's pretty cool seeing both Bombardier NTTs together in one consist.

I still think it's funny how these two fleets get so much hate, yet they're two of the most reliable & comfortable fleets we have in the system currently.

Edited by RandomRider0101

On 5/14/2023 at 3:13 PM, MJHmarc said:

Oh sorry, i was talking about the fact that there will be 2 10 car R211T’s that can be split into 4 sets (5 cars each) if you mix them with R211A’s. If option 2 is the T type they could really mix a lot of the A’s with T’s instead of just all 10 cars being one type. 

Why would the MTA want to mix the r211A's and the r211T's??

If the second option order does consist of r211T's, then those trains need to go and stay in Jamaica, while 207 and Concourse gets the first option order, so that the A, B, C, D are 100% NTTs for 8th Avenue CBTC.

8 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Why would the MTA want to mix the r211A's and the r211T's??

If the second option order does consist of r211T's, then those trains need to go and stay in Jamaica, while 207 and Concourse gets the first option order, so that the A, B, C, D are 100% NTTs for 8th Avenue CBTC.

I doubt that concourse would get R211s. They should get R160As from the (E) and (F) while Coney Island gets R160A/Bs for the (B)(Q)

10 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

I still think it's funny how these two fleets get so much hate, yet they're two of the most reliable & comfortable fleets we have in the system currently.

Kids...Elementary-Middle School kids...they [most of them, sorry if you guys are about this age] still believe that the R179s are lemons. They've improved in service for the past 5 years or so, and I'm pretty sure it's the most, if not one of the most reliable fleets in the system. The R142s on the other hand, they are reliable, too, but that's a different story to save for another topic. Back on track.

If the R211A and R211T are the same car, only with different ends on the internal cars, there's no reason they couldn't be mixed.  Same manufacturer, same internal parts, built simultaneously.  Whether they would actually do that is another story, but really there is no reason they couldn't.

18 minutes ago, zacster said:

If the R211A and R211T are the same car, only with different ends on the internal cars, there's no reason they couldn't be mixed.  Same manufacturer, same internal parts, built simultaneously.  Whether they would actually do that is another story, but really there is no reason they couldn't.

That was my point and i can definitely see some yard who gets them will mixed them if they have both A’s and T’s which kind of gives you the best of both on one train set. 

2 hours ago, zacster said:

Right. They might mix them to move them in the yard or if one train of type of R211s is disabled and they need another train to push it. But I can’t possibly fathom them running an R211A and R211T set in the same train in passenger service. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

4 hours ago, zacster said:

4 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

let Jamaica get a hold of them and it will definitely happen. 

If it's another R143/R160 mix scenario, maybe. However, even these days I haven't seen or heard any type of mixing between the R160A/B's for a good while. Not sure if I can emphasize that enough, but the last time I remember Jamaica mixing fleets was back in 2021 so I honestly doubt anyone that is competent at their job would let the R211's mix around even with all their components being exactly the same. Even CIY these days rarely mix their R68/A's Kamen Rider is pointing out.

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Coney Island has R68s and R68As... how often do you see them mixed?

I mean, don’t the R68s and R68As have completely different brakes and propulsion? That’s the idea, the R211s and R211Ts shouldn’t, and should able to be assembled into a consist without any problems

Actually no, they both have the same Westinghouse 1447JR motors and the same Adtranz controllers.

Their brakes are from different manufacturers, but that doesn’t preclude standardization of the design from the start. Mechanically, you could couple them to an R10 and it would work, since they are effectively the end of that family line.

Edited by Kamen Rider

18 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Actually no, they both have the same Westinghouse 1447JR motors and the same Adtranz controllers.

Their brakes are from different manufacturers, but that doesn’t preclude standardization of the design from the start. Mechanically, you could couple them to an R10 and it would work, since they are effectively the end of that family line.

R10: Start

R68/A: Finish. This is what it reminds me of since the R10 is the first SMEE rolling stock and the R68/As are the last.

Edited by Ale188

On 5/15/2023 at 8:25 PM, RandomRider0101 said:

It appeared to me that the taillights were illuminated in the middle of the train on the R142.  That tells me that the R179 was pushing the R142. That means the electric portions in between the units did not come together.  If they were MU-ing  the taillights would not have been illuminated,

“Iron to iron” you can get away with almost anything for the sake of moving things around, so long as you have matching couplings or an adapter. It’s when you try to make the electric connections you’re going to be hitting problems. 

that 142/179 shop move was definitely done with the two units electrically isolated and the 179 being operated under “other than head car” procedure while pushing.