R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

Okay, so… actually, there may be some information.

there was recently a reminder issued to train crews that NTTs have a function that if the train takes power but not enough to start moving, if the train doesn’t move within a certain amount of time, it goes into a self protection mode to avoid damaging its motors.
when the train goes into this protection mode, the train crew can not release it. Car equipment has to come and reset it. 

let’s say you’re in a station on a grade… like Dyckman… you put the master controller into one point of power. Motors begin to try to turn, but the weight of the train, combined with the grade, means it won’t budge.

That, theoretically, might have had something to do with what happened to the 211 pilot.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Okay, so… actually, there may be some information.

there was recently a reminder issued to train crews that NTTs have a function that if the train takes power but not enough to start moving, if the train doesn’t move within a certain amount of time, it goes into a self protection mode to avoid damaging its motors.
when the train goes into this protection mode, the train crew can not release it. Car equipment has to come and reset it. 

let’s say you’re in a station on a grade… like Dyckman… you put the master controller into one point of power. Motors begin to try to turn, but the weight of the train, combined with the grade, means it won’t budge.

That, theoretically, might have had something to do with what happened to the 211 pilot.

Okay. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know this bout the ntts.

They probably got distracted fixing the A’s propulsion lock out, pushing back the timeline slightly.

I really need to remind you folks that the status of all the these cars is at the whim the Division of Car Equipment, and for the most part, all the transit employees who post here who work in Department of Subways are RTO personnel, not always privy to the goings on in DCE.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:23 PM, 1998NewFlyer said:

I'm getting r179 vibes all over again 

On 5/1/2023 at 8:19 PM, 1998NewFlyer said:

You say that as if I said the r179 is garbage.. I know that the r179 is the best performing  rolling stock in the system. Now that that's cleared up.     AGAIN  IM GETTING R179 VIBES ALL OVER AGAIN. 

On 5/2/2023 at 7:56 PM, 1998NewFlyer said:

When I say I'm getting r179 vibes I mean that amount of time, I'm not saying the 211s are bad or be unreliable damn y'all are so sensitive 

It seems to me like you were the one being sensitive here. All people did was ask a couple of questions in response to your posts, and you got all in your feelings. It really wasn't that deep. Every new railcar has early issues, and they all eventually get their issues fixed. The same will happen with the R211s. It's not that big of a deal.

- Yes I know this is a late post. But I wasn't fully satisfied with my original response to this, so I revisited it and redid it.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:28 AM, RandomRider0101 said:

It seems to me like you were the one being sensitive here. All people did was ask a couple of questions in response to your posts, and you got all in your feelings. It really wasn't that deep. Every new railcar has early issues, and they all eventually get their issues fixed. The same will happen with the R211s. It's not that big of a deal.

- Yes I know this is a late post. But I wasn't fully satisfied with my original response to this, so I revisited it and redid it.

That part. Every car goes thru issues, whether is old, or new. They will have cracks or whatever it hits them. No new car comes in without any issues unless if it the one you drive anywhere

On 5/27/2023 at 2:23 PM, Kamen Rider said:

Well, we don’t tell you guys everything for a reason.

Meanwhile you have divulged sensitive information time after time on Numerous occasions…. Then real employees wonder why these “kids” know way too much and Boom, they get keys, trespass and vandalize trains…

1 hour ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Heard that the T’s were running around doing testing a few days ago, thats cool

Yeah. I'm just wondering when the second half of the soft shell trainset will arrive. I previously thought that the whole train was already here, but it turns out that wasn't the case.

It was said to be arriving by the end of this month, but it's already the last few days of the month. Hopefully it comes within the next month, but knowing how everything keeps getting pushed back we'll be lucky if that actually happens.

Edited by RandomRider0101

On 5/27/2023 at 2:27 PM, Ale188 said:

Yeah. I'm kinda that same way. I'm not saying I want to know everything, but at least I know a lil bit...

Y’all know too much. Especially for not being employed by the TA. How long til one of you hijack a train. How long until someone gets hurt seriously behind vandalism and trespassing…. We already have more than 45 career surfers…

23 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Yeah. I'm just wondering when the second half of the soft shell trainset will arrive. I previously thought that the whole train was already here, but it turns out that wasn't the case.

It was said to be arriving by the end of this month, but it's already the last few days of the month. Hopefully it comes within the next month, but knowing how everything keeps getting pushed back we'll be lucky if that actually happens.

Yeah. I hope that next month will be the R211T 4055-4059 delivery, as well as R211As 4090-4094 and 4095-4095 deliveries.

1 hour ago, nikitos6712 said:

Yeah. I hope that next month will be the R211T 4055-4059 delivery, as well as R211As 4090-4094 and 4095-4095 deliveries.

Maybe they’re waiting for the R211A train to pass its 30 day test. I wouldn’t be surprised if cars in the 4100 series’s up until 4150 are already ready for delivery 

2 hours ago, VIP said:

Meanwhile you have divulged sensitive information time after time on Numerous occasions…. Then real employees wonder why these “kids” know way too much and Boom, they get keys, trespass and vandalize trains…

Hey, genius… I AM AN EMPLOYEE, and I know very well the line of what can and cannot be divulged to those who are not.

A lot of technical information is public records anyway. I’m not sitting on a nuclear football, here. I’m not telling them how to access restricted areas. I’m not sharing every single detail. 

Edited by Kamen Rider

3 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Hey, genius… I AM AN EMPLOYEE, and I know very well the line of what can and cannot be divulged to those who are not.

An employee with the least amount of time….A mouthy employee at that… 

2 hours ago, VIP said:

OOP

2 minutes ago, VIP said:

An employee with the least amount of time….A mouthy employee at that… 

Happening-Sip.gif

I mean, at least two other employees/former employees saw my post earlier and had no problem with me explaining it because, if you read it, I didn’t go into full technical details… I just gave broad strokes.

the idea of “If the train doesn’t move after a certain amount of time, it locks up so you don’t break it” is not sensitive information we have to worry about. 

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Maybe they’re waiting for the R211A train to pass its 30 day test. I wouldn’t be surprised if cars in the 4100 series’s up until 4150 are already ready for delivery 

I don't think that's it. The second soft shell set is most likely delayed due to the supply chain shortages. That is what has delayed the entire order in the first place, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason.

34 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

I don't think that's it. The second soft shell set is most likely delayed due to the supply chain shortages. That is what has delayed the entire order in the first place, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason.

Isn't the soft shell here already??