R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

14 hours ago, Ale188 said:

So...You want them to fix 20 cars in 4 days...got it. Besides that, how do you know if the other cars are even coming back to service by the new year? I just feel like the MTA or Pitkin Yard themselves can't really do so much shit at once since Pit doesn't have a car wash unlike 207 or CIY.

He didn’t give a specific date. It could be from the 2nd all the way to the 31st. Remember: trains get sent back to CI for inspection and trackage checks before going back to Pitkin. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Ale188 said:

So...You want them to fix 20 cars in 4 days...got it. Besides that, how do you know if the other cars are even coming back to service by the new year? I just feel like the MTA or Pitkin Yard themselves can't really do so much shit at once since Pit doesn't have a car wash unlike 207 or CIY.

I said January 2024 I did not say in the next 4 days from now. It could be anytime in January 2024. Since the only set that had the gear box problem was actually 4085 set. They only have 2 sets of R211a in standby since mid October 2023. It won’t take long to bring the other 2 back. 

11 minutes ago, Transit Fans said:

I said January 2024 I did not say in the next 4 days from now. It could be anytime in January 2024. Since the only set that had the gear box problem was actually 4085 set. They only have 2 sets of R211a in standby since mid October 2023. It won’t take long to bring the other 2 back. 

4 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

He didn’t give a specific date. It could be from the 2nd all the way to the 31st. Remember: trains get sent back to CI for inspection and trackage checks before going back to Pitkin. 

What if it happens not to be in January though?

On 12/25/2023 at 11:25 AM, Kamen Rider said:

I spent... six and a half hours on 4070-04/4110-4114 last night. the AAS is borked on the train. You can set it, but it does not play.

So manual annoucments the entire time, which was good because I got caught up in the mess of a fire at High street. 

So I'm seeing more videos and talks about another set not having working AAS, this time it's more consistent with 4115-4119, but it was coupled to 4070-74. It's happening now actually.

On 12/28/2023 at 7:27 PM, Transit Fans said:

Now regarding the R32 the original plan was to keep 110 cars not 70 or 80 cars back in 2020 till 2022 for the R211s to retire them. But of course as we all know the R211 service revenue was push back from September 2022 to March 2023 due to delays on the plant with Kawasaki staff shortages like you mentioned before. Because if Covid they had to remove the R32 due to staff shortages and because the train was not able to handle Covid times because conductors and operator of the train being inside of the car than between the cars it would work for Covid due to distancing them else from the passengers. Which makes sense for the MTA to put them in storage for a year or so to prepare them for the final ceremony run which happen in December 2021 till January 2022. In conclusion the first 11 10 car sets or 110 cars are being retired by R211A for R32. 

Original plan was to keep 110 cars but not all 110 would be used, 50-60% of that 110 car fleet would be used which is 60-70 cars while the rest were for spares. If the R32s didn't go OOS and were still around until the first 6-7 R211 sets, The whole fleet would have been retired since you'll only need 6-7 R211s and since the R211s are brand new, they wouldn't need a 30%-40% spare factor like the R32s.

They can kill the entire R46 fleet with with just 900 cars or less if the R211s were perfectly fine with no issues since the R46s require a higher spare factor vs the R211s. But it's smart to just do a car to car replacement. 

23 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Original plan was to keep 110 cars but not all 110 would be used, 50-60% of that 110 car fleet would be used which is 60-70 cars while the rest were for spares. If the R32s didn't go OOS and were still around until the first 6-7 R211 sets, The whole fleet would have been retired since you'll only need 6-7 R211s and since the R211s are brand new, they wouldn't need a 30%-40% spare factor like the R32s.

They can kill the entire R46 fleet with with just 900 cars or less if the R211s were perfectly fine with no issues since the R46s require a higher spare factor vs the R211s. But it's smart to just do a car to car replacement. 

If they had stuck to the original plan and kept the R32, the other 4 sets of R211s would have come within weeks anyway.  It wouldn't really matter much if everything was running smoothly.  As it turned out, they had just enough R46s to cover the disaster anyway.  They saved a few bucks on maintaining the R32s and barely impacted the operation.  On top of everything else, ridership is still only 72% of pre-pandemic levels.  I'm sure even that factored in.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Unconfirmed what variant it is, but there’s an R211 hidden between PA5 trains at Yonkers Plant.

IMG_1113.jpg?ex=65b29fb7&is=65a02ab7&hm=

Credits to truelgafoamer.

I'm hearing that it's probably the production set of the R211S, don't take my word for it, but I guess it's not that far of a stretch since the R211A production set came in before the pilot even started revenue testing.

23 hours ago, Vulturious said:

IMG_1113.jpg?ex=65b29fb7&is=65a02ab7&hm=

Credits to truelgafoamer.

I'm hearing that it's probably the production set of the R211S, don't take my word for it, but I guess it's not that far of a stretch since the R211A production set came in before the pilot even started revenue testing.

IIRC the MTA is looking at having the R211S in service around March-April, right?

7 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

R211S testing on Staten Island Railway tracks Credits to: TheTransitProductions

looks and sounds like the SIR cars also have flat wheels. Hopefully they don’t have the problems the mainline cars have where they’ll need to be removed from service for months for repairs.

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The R211T’s got hit by graffiti vandals in Pitkin Yard today. Add that to more expenses…🙄

How are these folks getting into train yards?? Is there no security?

Every single yard has this issue, even the “most secured” Corona yard

17 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The R211T’s got hit by graffiti vandals in Pitkin Yard today. Add that to more expenses…🙄

How are these folks getting into train yards?? Is there no security?

That’s not the first time that these guys got hit with graffiti. Think 2022 or last year at CI. That not just expenses, it more work for employees to scrub off. Stainless steel subway cars, graffiti comes off. Remember: these guys know the ins and outs of subway yards cameras can see who trespasses yards. They catch them, it’s time in jail

Edited by FLX9304

On 1/14/2024 at 2:15 AM, darkstar8983 said:

looks and sounds like the SIR cars also have flat wheels. Hopefully they don’t have the problems the mainline cars have where they’ll need to be removed from service for months for repairs.

It ain't a good look for the 211s and the MTA either. 

I was watching another video and it seems like the entire consist is riddled with flats. Taking a page out of the SIR 44 playbook...