R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

The GO makes the (A)(C)(E) express between Canal St and 59 St-Columbus Circle, and the T is allowed to run express in this section, since only three local stops are skipped, and between each local stop are two express stations.

Interesting decisions, decisions, decisions lol 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/30/2024 at 1:18 AM, R32 3838 said:

He's full of shit and is damage controlling because they are embarrassed at the fact they didn't think of a fire suppression system  when they were designing the R211T.

It's an Open gangway subway car. If a fire breaks out, The fire would quickly spread to the entire 5 car section. Since CPW express is a very long stretch, They can't run in that section as well as a section in Brooklyn.  Since (MTA) didn't spec these cars to have fire suppression systems, they are restricted in a lot of ways. 

Which Brooklyn section is too long? Hoy-Nostransd or Euclid-Bway Junction?

Also, I've noticed that the R211T running on the C is 10 cars long (2 trainsets w/ 5 cars each). I know that the C is just a local A, which uses 10 cars, but doesn't the C train run with exclusively 8 cars (2 trainsets w/ 4 cars each)? Is this part of a modernization program to extend the C to 10 cars?

3 hours ago, foggymetro28 said:

Question, are the R211Ts interoperable with the R211As? If so, would the MTA run them together? I assume it'd be a very rare thing like the R160A and R160B together.

The reason for Alstom R160A/Kawasaki R160B intermix is because of the same Alstom traction, Alstom trac R160A/Bs cannot intermix with R160B Siemens, even though they tried it in 2019. 

as for R211A/T intermix, we’ll just wait and see how the R211Ts run first. 

46 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

The reason for Alstom R160A/Kawasaki R160B intermix is because of the same Alstom traction, Alstom trac R160A/Bs cannot intermix with R160B Siemens, even though they tried it in 2019. 

A set was connected in CI yard before just to move it around 5 car R211A/ 5 car R211T only time will tell if we will see this in service. 

7 hours ago, foggymetro28 said:

Also, I've noticed that the R211T running on the C is 10 cars long (2 trainsets w/ 5 cars each). I know that the C is just a local A, which uses 10 cars, but doesn't the C train run with exclusively 8 cars (2 trainsets w/ 4 cars each)? Is this part of a modernization program to extend the C to 10 cars?

The C has 8 car R160/179's.  The train operator stops at the 8 car marker.  480 foot train, 60 foot cars.

The R46's, also running on the C, are 8 cars long, but the train operator stops at the 10 car marker because each car is 75 feet long/600 foot train.

Each car of an R211T is 60 feet long.  But it is a 10 car train (two 5 car units) equaling a 600 foot train.  So it will stop at the 10 car marker.

In other words, the R46 and the R211T will stop at the same location at each station.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

Most of everything the 30 day testing would test with these cars was stuff already cleared with the 211As.

as I’ve been saying, as prototypes, in theory, everything with them is a test, and as some people have said, they seemed to have pasted the first test, passengers seem to like them.

16 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

They have it strictly on Weekdays only. 

Definitely not true.

The only time it's not running on weekends(or in general I guess) is when there's a GO that would send the C line express along the express corridors that were of concern, which are from 125th to 59th in both directions, and from Hoyt-Schmerhorn to Euclid in both directions.

8 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

What are you talking about? They've been doing that every now and then. About a month or so ago, there was an Alstom/Siemens mix on the R. They've been mixing sets on and off since 2008.

Edited by Cait Sith

52 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Definitely not true.

The only time it's not running on weekends(or in general I guess) is when there's a GO that would send the C line express along the express corridors that were of concern, which are from 125th to 59th in both directions, and from Hoyt-Schmerhorn to Euclid in both directions.

What are you talking about? They've been doing that every now and then. About a month or so ago, there was an Alstom/Siemens mix on the R. They've been mixing sets on and off since 2008.

The MTA figured out decades ago that trains run their best when all cars operate with the same (or very similar) propulsion system. It's why they stopped mixing outside of things like 32/38 and 40/42 combinations.

That would apply to the 160s as well. There's a reason you don't see it more often.

Edited by LTA1992

24 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

Didn’t the R211A pilot also got taken OOS the first couple of days due to a door issue? 

No, but it was taken out of service due to it breaking down that reset the whole 30 day revenue testing