R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, zacster said:

Via rail and car float, or is that long past?

Personally, I kind of wish the sets coming from Nebraska were delivered this way but its trucked halfway across the country one by one rn. I assume the reason they're not delivered by rail is because either costs, Class I freights being sucky as usual or some other logistical issue. But idk lol.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, ArchytectAnthony said:

Personally, I kind of wish the sets coming from Nebraska were delivered this way but its trucked halfway across the country one by one rn. I assume the reason they're not delivered by rail is because either costs, Class I freights being sucky as usual or some other logistical issue. But idk lol.

The reason it’s not done by rail because of previous accidents on the tracks. So They use 3 to 5 oversize fit trucks to deliver them to Brooklyn. They are lead by either a pickup truck or a car with yellow sirens on them to let other vehicles know to pass them. These excess weight trucks have a restriction on speed. 

Edited by FLX9304

2 hours ago, Seth Jonas said:

r211A 4310-4314 is also bulit on wiki now there 305 r211

For there to be 305 R211s (split between 35 R211S, 20 R211T, 250 R211A) consecutively, it needs to go like this

R211S - 100-134

R211T - 4040-4059

R211A - 4060-4309

4310-4314 makes it 310 cars instead of 305. Additionally, Wikipedia isn’t a good source…

It just seems crazy that the subway cars get trucked one way across the Verrazano, and the SI cars go the other way.

It's not like the SIR system is physically connected to the rest of the borough. Needless to say because it's obvious, the ones you see at Yonkers are only there because the pilot is on hold. Otherwise, they can go directly to Clifton when they are authorized to install contact shoes on their new arrivals.

What's obvious?  That they are dragging their feet on this?  They've had 50 years to figure out the replacements.  Why is this taking so long? 

You can't be serious.........

Ain't no way. Even wikipedia would have been a better first choice.

2 hours ago, zacster said:

Why is this taking so long? 

There is a saying you might have heard of… “Measure twice, cut once”

the SIR counterparts of the mainline RTO divisions have ZERO experience with NTT series equipment. 

things we’ve all taken for granted for the last 25 years (never mind the under the hood action)… like automated announcements… are brand new to them.

i can set up the AAS on a 211A in about 15-20 seconds. Throw these poor guys on the 211S without proper training and it will probably take them 15-20 minutes…

I get that.  But I was an IT project manager before I retired and we would have had that all lined up, training, announcements, logistics, before the first cars were even delivered.  They could've been learning all that along with the crews from Pitkin.  The mechanics could've been at CI watching final prep.  There should have been crews all ready to go. 

Project management has never been MTA's strong suit. 

17 hours ago, zacster said:

They could've been learning all that along with the crews from Pitkin. 

No, they couldn’t have. The training for 211 qualification for an RTO T/O is two days. A conductor, it’s one day… because our training is only in how these cars differ from the other NTT cars we’re already familiar with.

the SIR crews don’t have that familiarity to go off of. 

they would need at least a full week, if not longer, and when you only have X number of people you can spare for an entire week to maintain service… this gets to be a drawn out process.

5 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

No, they couldn’t have. The training for 211 qualification for an RTO T/O is two days. A conductor, it’s one day… because our training is only in how these cars differ from the other NTT cars we’re already familiar with.

the SIR crews don’t have that familiarity to go off of. 

they would need at least a full week, if not longer, and when you only have X number of people you can spare for an entire week to maintain service… this gets to be a drawn out process.

The alternative is to have those same people needing the training anyway while the cars sit idle.  That is poor project planning.  Pay me now or pay me later.

3 hours ago, Seth Jonas said:

why is the pilot set still together

Because it’s still together…

ever think not everything has a complex answer?

On 4/15/2024 at 8:18 AM, zacster said:

The alternative is to have those same people needing the training anyway while the cars sit idle.  That is poor project planning.  Pay me now or pay me later.

That’s not how it works when you are dealing with trains. Especially when you’ve only got 1. 

2 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

R211A:  4230 - 4235 Delivered to The South Brooklyn Marine Terminal today. 

I will check it out today. Is it located between 32nd and 33rd Streets?

On 4/11/2024 at 12:12 PM, Metro CSW said:

Also 4080-84 has returned to service as well. Coupled with 4195-99 as of now.

The consecutive consist are running together as of a couple days ago: 4080-89.

1 hour ago, Seth Jonas said:

is r211A 4195-4199  or 4160-4164 relocated when 4080-89 where together

Maybe you can go out, wait on the platforms of 8 Ave and find out for yourself....

Edited by Metro CSW

And for the stupid record (*<_<*), 4160-64 and 4195-99 are indeed rotated and coupled together after 4080-89. @Seth Jonas You can benefit from doing the "bare-minimum" too.

Just wanted to clear things up, peoples! You know how it is :rock:

Edited by Metro CSW